Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah , I'm not a fan of Shantung (paper) Straw , but I was speaking of the Dimensions & Proportions and of the Major Manufacturers , basically HatCo , I figure they own M&S/Twister , etc. . Personally I like Bangora , if the Crown is Right , and I could find a LO , but they're tough to find (find one , but the other is missing), I know they're out there . Thanks David . I like the Panama's and Hemps , plus the Palm Straw Sunbody do aren't bad for the price and they're tough . Fort Worth has a lot of spots , I used to go , at least close , every other day for years . LORD willing , I'll be there again .

ariahokas

Familiar Face
Quick sweatband question: When sewing the sweat together (cutting to size and connecting it), I've sewn only one so far by hand, but was curious if anyone is using a standard sewing machine instead? I've tried searching, but to no avail.

RJR

Quick sweatband question: When sewing the sweat together (cutting to size and connecting it), I've sewn only one so far by hand, but was curious if anyone is using a standard sewing machine instead? I've tried searching, but to no avail.
I suspect most do it by hand because of the width of the stitch and getting the ferrule in place and properly belled out.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I use my old Singer 401A sewing machine set on the widest zig zag stitch setting with a #16 leather point needle. The old girl just punches right through and gives a very uniform and professional looking stitch to join the sweat ends.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
http://www.cowboysindians.com/2015/02/american-hat-company/

Also:

From their website: http://americanhat.net

History of American Hat Company

Houston Texas in 1915 was a thriving city of 45,000 with eight-story “skyscrapers”. The first ships were journeying up the newly finished ship canal to the Port of Houston.

It was then in 1915 that Sam Silver founded the American Hat Company and began to make and sell cowboy hats. Since that time, Houston has grown, and so has American Hat. Three generations of the Silver family continued to carry on the tradition of founder Sam Silver. Then in 1984, Bill and Billie George owned the company until 2003 when current owners Keith and Susan Maddox purchased American Hat. They moved the company to Bowie, Texas where it now resides.

American Hat Company is known throughout the world as the hat preferred by rodeo champions, ranchers, and Texas lawmen. American Hats were worn by the likes of Freckles Brown, Jim Shoulders and Lane Frost to name just a few.

American Hat has always been an innovator in styling, manufacturing, and finishing. Prior to the 1950’s, straw hats could not be worn in the rain without being ruined. That’s when American Hat developed a special water-resistant finish.

American Hat is also credited with developing the “open crown” concept. Cowboy hats shipped with an “open crown” could be shaped to fit the customer's wishes. To this day American Hat traditional dealers order their cowboy hats in an “open crown” with a “flat brim”, and then shape the hats to fit their customers. When a specific shape is requested, American Hat Company has professional hat shapers who shape each hat by hand at no extra charge.

It’s this heritage of quality and innovation that has made American Hat the choice of rodeo champions and ranchers since 1915.

Here is an old one:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/western-anyone.24539/page-172#post-2120313

This is my 3X as bought and then reshaped more to my liking. I think it had been stretched at one point and could stand to be reblocked.

28117530733_7a79078f16_z.jpg

27003953932_3fe6783bfa_z.jpg
You have some talent to make a hat look THAT good!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Best Hat Store, here in Fort Worth is the same ownership as American Hat Co and carries a good selection of their hats.

We've called in a couple of times and there are guys there who crease the hats as the customers want them.

When I've been there the western straws have all been nicely trimmed and blocked but have all been Shantung straw.

If anyone visits Fort Worth and likes western hats, Best Hat Store is worth a visit - along with Peters Bros and the western stores in the stockyards.

Oh, American Hats are made just up the road in Bowie, TX - home of the worlds biggest Bowie knife

d8f91103f71e983be45bab79a96983c4.jpg
That is sure a nice sized "Texan Toothpick"!

We always say (only because we love all our friends living in Texas), "Don't mess with Texas"! It is so fitting in ways that the Hat companies we appreciate are located in Texas. It still has a blend of everything about being "American".

You have some talent to make a hat look THAT good!

Gee Cindy ... thanks! It was my first real attempt. It was a $15 hat, so I figured I could not screw it up too bad. The crease it came with made me look like a cone-head. I tried a Montana peak (not sure if that is the correct term) and that didn't help, so I just telescoped it. The brim in the pic is showing some waviness, but I've thrashed it at the farm quite a bit at this point.

stephena310

One of the Regulars
Two questions:
First of all has anyone heard of - or subscribed to the Hatatorium publication? Is it "worth" subscribing to.......????http://hatatorium.com/publications.html
I recently wrote to Stetson Customer Service to inquire about getting a "replacement" sweat band for my mid sixty's Stetson Stetsonian hat....And this is what they came back to me with.....Has anyone dealt with this company????

"Stephen,
There is a place we recommend. It is in Bryan, Texas. The company is Catalena Hatters their phone number is 979-822-4423 . They do renovates on all types of hats.
Thank you,
Customer Service

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Stephen @stephena310 , I'm not sure about Hatatorium , but most searches will point you back to Fedora Lounge , and the ladies and gentlemen on here can recommend Hatters to make , and/or refurbish Hats just about anywhere in the country , some may have to be sent states away , but they'll do an excellent job .

As far as Stetson , they used to have a deal that they would renovate , I think 15X and above , but I don't know if that still goes or not , but Catalena Hatters is first rate , but so are many others I could name . And guys on here that could do it @bond is one , I think he's in FL , but there's a guy in Madison WS that's really good Scott https://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras?ref=pr_faveshops , Tim at Alley Kat Hats is a Great Guy and might help , BSHW (Black Sheep Hat Works) , Art at VS does restorations and repairs , and I'm sure many others . I'm sure there's a Thread with a list on here somewhere , but I'm not surprised by Stetson's response , that was nice they at least recommended someone and gave you a contact number . A lot of guys on here have used several to do renovations , conversions , you name it . They could advise you . I'm sure you really wanted Stetson to do it in order to get a Stetson Sweat Band , but if your sweat just needs restitching , it can be reused in many instances , or if too small or large resized . It just depends whats needed .

Last edited:

stephena310

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to both of my questions. And you are right, I wanted to possibly replace the sweatband with an official stetson. At the same time, it may be possible to salvage or repair the one I have, and I need to seek out expertise to determine this.
In regard to Hatatorium, my frustration seems to be in how an industry as big as men's hats, and the companies who made them, virtually disappear with narrowly next to no written or pictorial history. Yes, the lounge is likely the best and most complete places to" mine" all the details, and through it's threads, to some extent, these details have been somewhat cuerrated, however, as a guitar collector, I guess I have been spoiled by the massively detailed collection of models, serial numbers, date of manufacturing, unit numbers, and other minor details that have been collected, checked and rechecked for authenticity, and published. I can verify and identify a guitar made in Germany in 1809, and the production date of one made in 1986 in Japan, we know every model Kay made for themselves and which ones were made for Sears, and Montgumery Ward, but not Dunlap or Beaver, or even Stetson ... I find myself scratching my head and asking why?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to both of my questions. And you are right, I wanted to possibly replace the sweatband with an official stetson. At the same time, it may be possible to salvage or repair the one I have, and I need to seek out expertise to determine this.
In regard to Hatatorium, my frustration seems to be in how an industry as big as men's hats, and the companies who made them, virtually disappear with narrowly next to no written or pictorial history. Yes, the lounge is likely the best and most complete places to" mine" all the details, and through it's threads, to some extent, these details have been somewhat cuerrated, however, as a guitar collector, I guess I have been spoiled by the massively detailed collection of models, serial numbers, date of manufacturing, unit numbers, and other minor details that have been collected, checked and rechecked for authenticity, and published. I can verify and identify a guitar made in Germany in 1809, and the production date of one made in 1986 in Japan, we know every model Kay made for themselves and which ones were made for Sears, and Montgumery Ward, but not Dunlap or Beaver, or even Stetson ... I find myself scratching my head and asking why?

Yep , I know exactly how you feel . And trust me Fedora Lounge is a Gold Mine of information on Hats , but other vintage things , too , if you look . There are threads from the past , and loungers even now that have knowledge , books , information , and own many of these Hats themselves . The old Hats some have numbers and other clues to the age , origin , some stuff is probably forever lost , but what remains is vast . It was so strange , Hats where as common as any item of clothing , then in the rebellious 60s things really changed , though the peak was past already , but the one good thing about the Hipsters is their fascination with old classic vintage clothing , style , well made things , even if they're old appreciating them , and in some caring to learn self reliance , a simpler way , and hopefully who made them < the most important thing , and how to have a relationship with HIM . And the value of themselves to HIM . We've come through a time of throw away cheap everything , when before there was pride in craftsmanship , and quality , doing your best , loving your neighbor and caring about them . There are some guys still on here that are treasures of information and don't mind sharing . I've seen Hats that I thought were garbage turned back into wearable collectors' treasures , pristine . Its incredible ! They see the vintage , and possibilities that are lost to others . And the funny thing is many are artists , musical , photographical , or craftsman , artists in their own right , and they see the quality and beauty in these articles of bygone years . And some like you collect vintage guitars , or other works of art respecting its quality , and what went into making it , pondering its past , while enjoying it in the present .

There's a Thread on the Fray Sweatband , called "Join The Fray" . Absolutely incredible quality sweatbands named for one of the heads of Stetson at the time , like super well made shoes or boots that after a hundred years , still have another hundred years left in them . Why they stopped using and producing such quality is a mystery to me , but I think someday a guy will crack the construction and make something remarkably similar . There are Hatters that are striving still to make the absolute Best and improve on their Best , and respect the quality of vintage Hats . They can and will advise you if the sweat is too far gone , or if it just needs conditioning and restitching . If you Post a picture , someone could point you to a good reputable Hatter that will do you right , or they'll maybe give you pointers on how to tell its time to replace the original . There are some superior sweatbands available for a few dollars more , better than the original in quality many or most cases . And I mean very few dollars more , more than worth it , especially if you intend to keep it and wear it . Here's the Stetsonian Thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stetsonian-institution.39372/ , you may have seen it , but look back through the pages of Threads , you'll be fascinated .

RJR

Stephen @stephena310 , I'm not sure about Hatatorium , but most searches will point you back to Fedora Lounge , and the ladies and gentlemen on here can recommend Hatters to make , and/or refurbish Hats just about anywhere in the country , some may have to be sent states away , but they'll do an excellent job .

As far as Stetson , they used to have a deal that they would renovate , I think 15X and above , but I don't know if that still goes or not , but Catalena Hatters is first rate , but so are many others I could name . And guys on here that could do it @bond is one , I think he's in FL , but there's a guy in Madison WS that's really good Scott https://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras?ref=pr_faveshops , Tim at Alley Kat Hats is a Great Guy and might help , BSHW (Black Sheep Hat Works) , Art at VS does restorations and repairs , and I'm sure many others . I'm sure there's a Thread with a list on here somewhere , but I'm not surprised by Stetson's response , that was nice they at least recommended someone and gave you a contact number . A lot of guys on here have used several to do renovations , conversions , you name it . They could advise you . I'm sure you really wanted Stetson to do it in order to get a Stetson Sweat Band , but if your sweat just needs restitching , it can be reused in many instances , or if too small or large resized . It just depends whats needed .
Lounger Bond IS FineVintageFedoras,great guy.His name is Scott and he's in WI.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That is sure a nice sized "Texan Toothpick"!

We always say (only because we love all our friends living in Texas), "Don't mess with Texas"! It is so fitting in ways that the Hat companies we appreciate are located in Texas. It still has a blend of everything about being "American".

Yes, Texas has everything American for sure - the good and the bad. I've enjoyed it immensely since moving here 18 months or so ago

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner