Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I may be heading to the Puget Sound area in September and I need a new Winter hat. Other than the vintage shops in Port Townsend, Seattle, etc., are there any hat shops I should check out between Gig Harbor and PT?

Mm25

One Too Many
I just read an article that stated a high crown on a hat provides air space to heat up and so was good in colder climates, whereas a vaquero style hat with a lower crown was better in warm climates as there was no airspace.

I always thought the airspace in a tall crown worked like an attic, cooling in hot weather, warming in cold, and the different crowns were really just more regional fashion.

Obviously, I'm discussing western style hats here, but the theory should be consistent.

Thoughts?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I just read an article that stated a high crown on a hat provides air space to heat up and so was good in colder climates, whereas a vaquero style hat with a lower crown was better in warm climates as there was no airspace.

I always thought the airspace in a tall crown worked like an attic, cooling in hot weather, warming in cold, and the different crowns were really just more regional fashion.

Obviously, I'm discussing western style hats here, but the theory should be consistent.

Thoughts?

Not a Hat wearer , I would say wrote that , or they want to sell more Vaquero Style Hats for summer .

Steph

Familiar Face

Thoughts?
Given the negligible amount of air in question, I would think the difference would be just as small. Certainly measurable, not likely discernible. Cutting the wind or blocking the sun on your head makes all the difference, but a small amount of air in a uninsulated hat attic can't do much.

Then again, a single candle can probably keep you from freezing to death.

Maybe a hat attic can, too?

Anyone know what hat the Rio track and field officials are wearing? (My Google-foo is not allowing me to find a good image)

PAY-Olympic-Games-2016-Athletics-Track-and-Field.jpg

I've been waiting for NBC to do a special segment on the official's straws. They are only wasting time showing those athletic events. Some are wearing them "correctly" others seem to have the brims turned up. Might we be seeing some of these on Ebay after the games?

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
Hatshapers.com sells inexpensive plastic hat shapers. I have a couple of good wood hat blocks for crown shaping. But I do not have anything but my hands and steam for brim shaping. HatShapers sells their crow blocks with an added brim shaper. But the brim is turned down, away from the crown. if I shaped a brim to this turned down surface, would it, after it was dry, pop up into a classic Fedora upturned brim? Seems to be the opposite of the way I have seen traditional hat makers block a brim with a flange. Anybody use one of these hat shaper brims forms?

Joakim

New in Town
Thanks for the very informative response to my post, EstherWeis. I realise there's some things I need to study up. But it was very helpful.
hatRme: Great! Will keep an eye open. Would be quite surprised to find one of those next to an Yves Saint Laurent hat :D But I've seen stranger things so who knows.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I may be heading to the Puget Sound area in September and I need a new Winter hat. Other than the vintage shops in Port Townsend, Seattle, etc., are there any hat shops I should check out between Gig Harbor and PT?

While Black Sheep Hat Works is an excellent shop, it's a bit farther north of Port Townsend. South of Tacoma on I-5 to Olympia, WA, is Tumwater hats. I don't know of any others to recommend.

http://www.blacksheephatworks.com/

http://tumwaterhat.com/

Joshua Heard

New in Town
I am not a hat wearer but this site has been great to me before so thought i would ask.

I am looking for any info on this vintage LL Bean hat i picked up. Such as possible value, what style it is, what year, and how i could clean it up a bit? TIA

Link to pics -
http://imgur.com/a/dXImD

I am not a hat wearer but this site has been great to me before so thought i would ask.

I am looking for any info on this vintage LL Bean hat i picked up. Such as possible value, what style it is, what year, and how i could clean it up a bit? TIA

Link to pics -
http://imgur.com/a/dXImD
It looks to be a fabric of some sort rather than a straw. If it is a fabric I would try spot cleaning it with a mild soap. Looking at the picture it has no vintage value. The value in it would only be specific to you. How much do you love the hat. It is not likely a "collectable" item.

Armin

New in Town
Hello, I am new to this forum and to hats in general.

I have ordered my first "vintage" hat earlier this week, a Dobesch Präsident, I probably paid too much (37.5 Euros with shipping) I cannot find much information on it and the little I got was from this very forum. Does anyone know if Dobesch hats are any good? Does anyone have information about this hatmaker? Did I make a mistake?

Thank you in advance.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hello, I am new to this forum and to hats in general.

I have ordered my first "vintage" hat earlier this week, a Dobesch Präsident, I probably paid too much (37.5 Euros with shipping) I cannot find much information on it and the little I got was from this very forum. Does anyone know if Dobesch hats are any good? Does anyone have information about this hatmaker? Did I make a mistake?

Thank you in advance.
@mayserwegener is your guy

stephena310

One of the Regulars
Question: I have learned since I got bitten by the hat bug, that a small 7 1/4 or a large 7 1/8... Given this I am wondering how "plyable " are Panama/straw fedoras.. Can they be stretched successfully, and how much?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I got my Panama hat in a market in Guayaquil, Ecuador for $20 USD. It reads size 63, so the sizing is not really accurate. I run 59-60cm, or 7-3/8 to 7-1/2. It's a very plyable fabric/weave and despite some people saying they can shrink, mine has clearly stretched a bit over the past 5 years to sit lower on my crown. I have read here, somewhere, and would imagine from my short experience with my single Panama Hat, that they can be stretched at least one size up.

The weave is not tight on mine. If you have a real tight weave (Read: high quality hat) from Montecristi, the characteristics may be quite different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner