Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Yeah. This one is going back unfortunately. Sweat is wavy.
The Dobbs 15 I purchased looks better though so we will see.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 109

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Thin ribbon on a Fed IV?

I'm considering a Fed IV, and I'd like opinions on the look of a thin campdraft style ribbon on a Fed IV.
While I imagine I'd love that hat, I think I'm too casual for a wide ribbon and it might look out of place much of the time.
I thought some folks with long hat experience might know about some style issues I'm not aware of.
(And I guess I too have long hat experience since I shaped my BGCD into a long oval but you get what I mean :)
Thank you!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Someone just had one tweeked. Stetson playboy type of ribbon. Bound edge. Looked good. so I think it would look good with a camp draft type of ribbon. Maybe ask the company you are ordering from, if can do it for you.
Another option is the Squatter. It's a little less formal. Thinner ribbon.
Johnny

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Someone just had one tweeked. Stetson playboy type of ribbon. Bound edge. Looked good. so I think it would look good with a camp draft type of ribbon. Maybe ask the company you are ordering from, if can do it for you.
Another option is the Squatter. It's a little less formal. Thinner ribbon.
Johnny
I see what you mean about the Squatter, like the color too and it looks like the brim is dimensional by about an eighth of an inch. Same crown height as the CD?

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
I had a question about my Dobbs fifteen. Thinest felt I have had. As for rain should I avoid getting it wet at all costs seeing that it's late 50s to early 60s?

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Vintage hats will hold up fine in a light shower. For heavy rain, bring an umbrella.
Sounds good.
My Borsalino has thick felt and I have worn it plenty in some light rain. The Dobbs though is very thin. Makes my feather weight penman look thick.

Last edited:
I had a question about my Dobbs fifteen. Thinest felt I have had. As for rain should I avoid getting it wet at all costs seeing that it's late 50s to early 60s?
If you want a fur felt hat that you can wear in the rain, or snow, or pretty much anywhere, look at Akubra. They have a reputation for durability and, if my Akubra hats are any indication, they like rain. Everything Australian and Hats Direct/The Hattery are favorite vendors on The Lounge, but you can sometimes find a deal or two on evilBay.

Since the upgrade to IOS 10 I'm having trouble uploading pictures using imgur or tinypic; doesn't matter. Anyone else using IOS 10 & having problems? If so have you figured it out?

fetching

New in Town
I'm wanting to display my collection of Stetson, Resistol, Akubra, Borsalino, Dobbs and Baron hats (among others) on the wall of my studio. I have probably 20-25 hats to display and was going to use 3" black pipe with a flange and a cap, but that would cost well over $150. which is awfully expensive.

Any suggestions? I don't want to damage the hats, and I have no shelves or other places to store them.

ingineer

One Too Many
fetching;
some where in here in the hats forum is Moon's idea of using a simple clothes hook with a tennis ball attached. seems like a cheap solution.
can't find the picture, you may want to pm him. or maybe he'll speak up

Any suggestions?
Depending on how artistic you want to be with your display this may not work for you. For <$50 you can mount a rug hanger to the wall & add hooks to it. Rug hangers are usually two boards that clamp together to hold the edge of the rug. I've added some hooks clamped between & above the two boards that allow the hat brim to then rest on the board & off the wall.

Sorry I don't have a pic of mine handy but here's an example of a rug hanger. You can buy them at places like Hobby Lobby.

jzvhjm.jpg

fetching, all good suggestions. A simple lathing strip mounted to the walls and wood screws spaced evenly with a tennis ball placed over the wood screws would work. Use unpressurized tennis balls and cut a small hole in one side just big enough in it to work over the head of the wood screw. I should add, use a long enough wood screw to to have plenty left outside to support the tennis ball and hat.

Last edited:

fetching

New in Town
Thanks everyone, I might go with the tennis balls and the wood screws. We're probably going to be moving to a new city in the next few months, so I have thought of just packing them up but I kind of want them around me for reference as I am learning how to hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot