Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
This pic comes from an auction listing. The hat appears to be totally roached but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the brand? Originally sold in NYC.

3c1efd7882.png

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Greetings all

This is my first post (and a little long) although I have been working my way through the wealth of information on this site for a while.

Having dabbled in hats at the general mass-market level in the past, and picked up a few contemporary fedoras in second hand shops, I am still seeking that 40s/50s look. Inspiration has been Bogart/film noire (stuck at home really sick years ago when a friend dropped off a box of VHS films which I watched repeatedly for 8 days in bed brainwashed me!).

My favourite hat is a grey pinch fedora with a 3/4 black ribbon, 4.5 inch crown and 2 inch brim but I would like to be able to shape it myself (c- or diamond) and have a slightly bigger brim for that more classic look, e.g. the front of the crown is higher than the back, maybe even front pinched a la Bogart. Open crown hats seem to give that flexibility.

Looking around, the Stetson Playboy or Stratoliner appeared to meet that criteria, but the sheer cost of one vintage or new (and various remarks on the price vs quality on the new) is not workable for me and I would like to start with one that I can wear to work or casually and have some budget left over to buy another one down the line. I live in the UK and what with Brexit, the exchange rate is not what it used to be... Looking at the various threads, this has led me to Akubra.

I spent some time on the 295 page Akubra Overload thread (and then overloaded myself) as well as a few other threads and my rough Akubra shortlist is:
- Campdraft;
- Squatter;
- Stylemaster.

And now, I am somewhat stuck and need your help to educate and guide me as I there is no UK stockist that I am aware of at which I can try them on.

CD and Squatter seem to be straight crowned and more akin to the style I am looking for, but I am a little concerned that the wider brim will just be too much hat. I am 6 foot of medium build (I wear 40" chest suit jackets) and hat size is usually 57 (7 1/8) but on one or two hats it is a 56 (7), so I don't want people to freak out and say "whoa! There's a guy hiding under that hat!". If you've seen the photo of Johnny Depp wearing a fedora, that is too much hat for my taste. I want the hat to be a subtle part or accent of the overall "look" and not BE the look of itself if that makes sense. Think film noire and how the hat is just a part of the scene - much like mobile phones are now.

The Stylemaster is nice, but seems to be quite contemporary and too(?) tapered, but without being able to try it, not sure how to judge it.

So, any help or pointers or just indulgence in your chance to vicariously go hat shopping with me would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Greetings all

This is my first post (and a little long) although I have been working my way through the wealth of information on this site for a while.

Having dabbled in hats at the general mass-market level in the past, and picked up a few contemporary fedoras in second hand shops, I am still seeking that 40s/50s look. Inspiration has been Bogart/film noire (stuck at home really sick years ago when a friend dropped off a box of VHS films which I watched repeatedly for 8 days in bed brainwashed me!).

My favourite hat is a grey pinch fedora with a 3/4 black ribbon, 4.5 inch crown and 2 inch brim but I would like to be able to shape it myself (c- or diamond) and have a slightly bigger brim for that more classic look, e.g. the front of the crown is higher than the back, maybe even front pinched a la Bogart. Open crown hats seem to give that flexibility.

Looking around, the Stetson Playboy or Stratoliner appeared to meet that criteria, but the sheer cost of one vintage or new (and various remarks on the price vs quality on the new) is not workable for me and I would like to start with one that I can wear to work or casually and have some budget left over to buy another one down the line. I live in the UK and what with Brexit, the exchange rate is not what it used to be... Looking at the various threads, this has led me to Akubra.

I spent some time on the 295 page Akubra Overload thread (and then overloaded myself) as well as a few other threads and my rough Akubra shortlist is:
- Campdraft;
- Squatter;
- Stylemaster.

And now, I am somewhat stuck and need your help to educate and guide me as I there is no UK stockist that I am aware of at which I can try them on.

CD and Squatter seem to be straight crowned and more akin to the style I am looking for, but I am a little concerned that the wider brim will just be too much hat. I am 6 foot of medium build (I wear 40" chest suit jackets) and hat size is usually 57 (7 1/8) but on one or two hats it is a 56 (7), so I don't want people to freak out and say "whoa! There's a guy hiding under that hat!". If you've seen the photo of Johnny Depp wearing a fedora, that is too much hat for my taste. I want the hat to be a subtle part or accent of the overall "look" and not BE the look of itself if that makes sense. Think film noire and how the hat is just a part of the scene - much like mobile phones are now.

The Stylemaster is nice, but seems to be quite contemporary and too(?) tapered, but without being able to try it, not sure how to judge it.

So, any help or pointers or just indulgence in your chance to vicariously go hat shopping with me would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Welcome Windsock! It warms my heart to hear of someone who has taken the time to learn from the volumes of posts on this site. It shows you are on the right track to be one of the crazies here. I'm not knowledgeable at all on Akubras, but you should get some information of use. A query like this is better placed in the Ask a Question Here thread or better yet, the Akubra Overload thread you have been studying. Zero into the various threads pertinent to your questions, more folks of the Akubra persuasion will see it there. Again, welcome to the Fray!

Reactions: niv

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Greetings all

- Campdraft;
- Squatter;
- Stylemaster.

Thanks in advance
Akubra Federation IV from The Hattery. Crown is a tad shorter then the Camp Draft as is the dimensional brim. Less taper and boxier crown blocking.

RJR

Thanks @tropicalbob, @Bob Roberts and @RJR for the quick feedback. I somehow misread about the Fed IV dimensions but having had a look at this again, absolutely agree. Now for the decision as a first fed IV on a carbon grey or moonstone / standard or deluxe but see that there are numerous threads on those so will work through those. All the best!
I don't want to be cynical but my experience says you might as well save time and order both:rolleyes:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner