Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

srq2002

Familiar Face
Best advice I can give is get a CampDraft.

Probably less than half the price of an Alessandria ... and will probably take more of a beating

It's not Borsalino ... it will be a bit heavier and more stiff ... but will provide what you need

and for the price you won't mind being a little more reckless with it

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

Much obliged. Just ordered one in fawn taupe from Naomi and Trudy at Hats Direct.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I´m new in hat makers land and about to buy my first hat block. My question: is it a wise decision to order a Fedora set (brim + crown) size 57? Could I work with band stretchers to broaden this size up till a 59?

Another question: would it be better to buy a Fedora crown (because that´s the shape I´ll make most) or to buy an open crown block in order to shape the hats myself and have more versatility.

(I´m not in the luxury position to buy several hat blocks)

Thanks in advance to everybody from Fedora Lounge
I think the "open crown" block is the wise choice.
It's always better to block a felt to the right size than block it on a smaller size and stretch it.
At least that's the way I think...

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Question: We have all seen many stetson ads featuring the "Stetson Casual". Searches of "stetson casual" on the lounge feature negative results as you are combining two extremely used phrases and the results often feature one word or the other with unlimited results. My question is, has anyone ever seen a hat specifically stamped or labelled as the "Casual"?

Question: We have all seen many stetson ads featuring the "Stetson Casual". Searches of "stetson casual" on the lounge feature negative results as you are combining two extremely used phrases and the results often feature one word or the other with unlimited results. My question is, has anyone ever seen a hat specifically stamped or labelled as the "Casual"?

Google: "stetson casual" site:thefedoralounge.com

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
Question: Has anyone had a custom hat made using an old necktie for a ribbon? More specifically, has anyone had a custom hat made using one of your old yellow power ties? How did it turn out?

Question: Has anyone had a custom hat made using an old necktie for a ribbon? More specifically, has anyone had a custom hat made using one of your old yellow power ties? How did it turn out?
Other than the nostalgia or personal connection of using a power tie, not so much. There are so many puggarees in many colors I don't see much use. Probably not enough material there anyway. Welcome to the Fray. Read Read Read the many posts on the lounge, there may be a thread about this, but I doubt it.

bobm

A-List Customer
Here's a question and sorry if it has been answered elsewhere, but what hat do you guys wear in the rain? I'm not talking about a downpour, constant heavy rain, where an umbrella is the only way to keep dry. I'm asking about a hat that can take a mild bit of rain, something that is meant for a light shower, where it won't get ruined.

Here's a question and sorry if it has been answered elsewhere, but what hat do you guys wear in the rain? I'm not talking about a downpour, constant heavy rain, where an umbrella is the only way to keep dry. I'm asking about a hat that can take a mild bit of rain, something that is meant for a light shower, where it won't get ruined.

A good fur felt hat can take some rain. On an older, vintage hat, the danger is getting it soaked through to the sweatband and, if the sweat dries too fast, or unevenly, damaging the sweat. The felt should be OK. Some newer hats, not made of the same quality felt as "days of yore," have been known to shrink and sometimes taper after getting wet. A wool felt is in more danger of shrinking, I believe, especially a modern wool felt.

Hats are functional attire, and as such are meant to survive some exposure to the elements. Some are tougher than others. But felted fur is one of the hardiest textiles we have.

69e8ea1071c945c64fa81a6cdc63858d--go-to-movies-casablanca-.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran