Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Here's a question and sorry if it has been answered elsewhere, but what hat do you guys wear in the rain? I'm not talking about a downpour, constant heavy rain, where an umbrella is the only way to keep dry. I'm asking about a hat that can take a mild bit of rain, something that is meant for a light shower, where it won't get ruined.
There are any number of hats designed and manufactured specifically to be worn in rain, but if you're looking for a fur felt hat Akubra is a good place to start. For over 100 years they've been making hats to protect people from the harsh Australian weather. The quality doesn't compare to vintage fur felt hats, but they're decent modern production hats that are usually less expensive than most other modern production hats, so it won't break your heart or wallet if you damage or lose one and need to replace it. In my experience they like rain, and will survive being soaked through the felt as long as you set them aside and allow them to dry on their own (i.e., don't use a heat source to dry them faster). Some members here like them, others don't, but in my opinion Akubra hats give you a lot of bang for your buck.

bobm

A-List Customer
A good fur felt hat can take some rain. On an older, vintage hat, the danger is getting it soaked through to the sweatband and, if the sweat dries too fast, or unevenly, damaging the sweat. The felt should be OK. Some newer hats, not made of the same quality felt as "days of yore," have been known to shrink and sometimes taper after getting wet. A wool felt is in more danger of shrinking, I believe, especially a modern wool felt.

Hats are functional attire, and as such are meant to survive some exposure to the elements. Some are tougher than others. But felted fur is one of the hardiest textiles we have.

Thanks for the reply. Love that pic of Bogart. But does anyone think any raincoat other than a rubber coated one would provide protection in that downpour?
Am I wrong, but don't rabbit felt hats fare better when pretty wet than others?

bobm

A-List Customer
There are any number of hats designed and manufactured specifically to be worn in rain, but if you're looking for a fur felt hat Akubra is a good place to start. For over 100 years they've been making hats to protect people from the harsh Australian weather. The quality doesn't compare to vintage fur felt hats, but they're decent modern production hats that are usually less expensive than most other modern production hats, so it won't break your heart or wallet if you damage or lose one and need to replace it. In my experience they like rain, and will survive being soaked through the felt as long as you set them aside and allow them to dry on their own (i.e., don't use a heat source to dry them faster). Some members here like them, others don't, but in my opinion Akubra hats give you a lot of bang for your buck.
Good point about Akubras, probably the "toughest" hats out there - and they are pretty stylish also.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the reply. Love that pic of Bogart. But does anyone think any raincoat other than a rubber coated one would provide protection in that downpour?
Am I wrong, but don't rabbit felt hats fare better when pretty wet than others?
beaver felt will supposedly fare better than rabbit... at least that's what the price tags tell us

but no matter what anyone says you never really know what blend you are wearing

a quality fur felt hat should have no ill affects from a bit of precipitation

bobm

A-List Customer
beaver felt will supposedly fare better than rabbit... at least that's what the price tags tell us

Thanks, Moon. Ya mean to tell me that if a hatter states his hat is of a certain felt - rabbit, beaver, etc, you are not guaranteed to get the listed felt?

When was the last time you saw a rabbit swimming in a pond building a dam? Go Beavs!

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Moon. Ya mean to tell me that if a hatter states his hat is of a certain felt - rabbit, beaver, etc, you are not guaranteed to get the listed felt?

If a hatter says his hats are 100% rabbit or beaver fur, then there's a good chance they are. If however, a hat is labelled as ' fur'... 'pure fur' or worse still, 'fur blend' then as Moon stated, you can't be sure just what's in the hat.

^^^^What he said.

If a hatter says his hats are 100% rabbit or beaver fur, then there's a good chance they are. If however, a hat is labelled as ' fur'... 'pure fur' or worse still, 'fur blend' then as Moon stated, you can't be sure just what's in the hat.

Exactly. Only in the case of buying a custom from a reputable maker can you be certain. A custom from Gannon or Alley Kat, etc. that says 100% beaver can be counted on, because we know they source their bodies from Winchester. A factory hat - well, all bets are off.

And yeah, @bobm, the pic from Casablanca wasn't supposed to be representative. I just always think of that scene when I think of a soaked hat.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

It is almost always a blend.
If it says "beaver felt" that most likely means there is more beaver than other components.
These blends have a purpose though.

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

bobm

A-List Customer
^^^^What he said.

Exactly. Only in the case of buying a custom from a reputable maker can you be certain. A custom from Gannon or Alley Kat, etc. that says 100% beaver can be counted on, because we know they source their bodies from Winchester. A factory hat - well, all bets are off.

And yeah, @bobm, the pic from Casablanca wasn't supposed to be representative. I just always think of that scene when I think of a soaked hat.

It's is a great pic and I know literally no hat or raincoat can survive that drenching. Another similar pic comes to mind is from one of my favorite movies - From Here To Eternity, where Burt Lancaster - in raincoat and campaign hat is waiting outside waiting for Deborah Kerr to ask him to come in from out of the rain.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This is a couple minutes into a 15 minute walk... a late 50's Penneys Marathon. Guys at work thought I had ruined my hat. It soaked into the felt and the ribbon was soaked through on one side as well.

i-gHkk6vK-XL.jpg

As you can see, the hat suffered no ill effects. I just let it dry on a hat stand, then brushed it. If anything, it cleaned off a little dust!

i-cmmgtzg-M.jpg
i-dvWLCzd-M.jpg

i-Wf376Hk-M.jpg
i-cWRC8tC-M.jpg

This is a couple minutes into a 15 minute walk... a late 50's Penneys Marathon. Guys at work thought I had ruined my hat. It soaked into the felt and the ribbon was soaked through on one side as well.

i-gHkk6vK-XL.jpg

As you can see, the hat suffered no ill effects. I just let it dry on a hat stand, then brushed it. If anything, it cleaned off a little dust!

i-cmmgtzg-M.jpg
i-dvWLCzd-M.jpg

i-Wf376Hk-M.jpg
i-cWRC8tC-M.jpg

Nice results from an impromptu bath. I still love the color of that Marathon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran