Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I've looked at Panama Hats Direct, but they don't have a grosgrain ribbon that appeals to me. The Knox is a darker straw and I want something that accents it well without being bland.

The paracord isn't so much about making a hatband as it is about starting a new hobby. It's inexpensive and I can make the color combos I like... :)

I totally get that. DIY can be a lot of fun and if you couldn’t find anything you like at Panama Hats Direct you have some very specific expectations. Share photos of how it turns out, it does sound interesting.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've looked online for grosgrain (which is what currently adorns the hat), but then I came across some nifty looking paracord hat bands. After viewing several YouTube videos, it seems making a paracord hat band requires more time than it does money or talent, so I thought maybe I could learn to create my own.

Something to be aware of could be weight.

A woven paracord hat band could become so heavy that it drags the hat down on your ears. I had a straw Shady Brady many years ago with a leather band covered with a lot of thick feathers. The combination was so heavy that it did weigh the hat down onto my ears, making it rather uncomfortable.

(I eventually tied a piece of thin leather cord under the band to make the hat stay up on my head without touching my ears. Later I removed the feathered band all together and left the leather cord.)

I have to believe that an over 23" (for my head) woven band of paracord has got to be even heavier than that - maybe even heavier than the whole hat.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind before you start.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I totally get that. DIY can be a lot of fun and if you couldn’t find anything you like at Panama Hats Direct you have some very specific expectations. Share photos of how it turns out, it does sound interesting.

There seem to be two sites that cover just about everything paracord: Paracord Planet and Paracord Galaxy (gee, how original these folks must be).

I went out during lunch today to a craft store and bought two skeins (is that how they're referred?) of 16' 550 paracord in different colors. Total cost, < $6.00US. This is practice stuff, until I learn the ropes (pun intended!).

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
94100B63-C597-45FF-B4DA-6029BB3C9241.jpeg
E760F3BA-E2B8-4FAE-82C8-8BD7A9F74705.jpeg
54799010-C46A-4287-B3AA-5DA95603570B.jpeg
I wonder if anyone knows of a felt hat that is perforated like this straw.

Perforations in the side of the hat are all well and good, but heat rises. Holes in the top of the hat would allow heat to escape more efficiently, I would think.

As an(other) aside, what would be a way to make clean holes like these in the top of a felt hat?
Greetings Scotty et al:
This is an old ventilated Knox. No model name. Interesting in that the perforation pattern mirrors the “Knox Crown”. Kinda cool i think.
DIY...idk. No doubt they use a die punch.
Thanks for asking...gave me a chance to wear this puppy.
Be well. Bowen
Ps: hat & diamond courtesy of 40Cal.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Boy, I love this thread. It's a "catch-all" for topics I can't find by searching the forum! :D

So here's my question du jour: My Knox New York Vintage Shop straw fedora is due to arrive tomorrow. I bought it knowing the hat band was stained. My first thought was to try to clean it, but then I thought this might be my "sandbox" hat to see if I can't create a new hat band for it. Maybe several.

I've looked online for grosgrain (which is what currently adorns the hat), but then I came across some nifty looking paracord hat bands. After viewing several YouTube videos, it seems making a paracord hat band requires more time than it does money or talent, so I thought maybe I could learn to create my own.

As a side note, when my daughter was a pre-teen, she got into making these threaded bracelets, and paracord seems to be a more modern interpretation of that activity.

Has anyone here made paracord hat bands? Any tips, gotchas, warnings or advice? I have a craft store nearby where I think I can get all the necessary tools (lighter, pony clamp, thread, needles, etc.) including (I think) the paracord. Of course there are numerous online sources for the cord, so that I'm not concerned about that. Learning the different kind of knots, braids and weaves is the challenging part. I watched how to create a cobra knot, and it's quite easy. Some of the others are more complex.

Might be a good way to while away a couple of hours in front of the TV on rainy days...
Good idea especially for an “outdoor hat”. A life saving rope comes in handy. Knots...idk.
B

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 112165 View attachment 112166 View attachment 112167
Greetings Scotty et al:
This is an old ventilated Knox. No model name. Interesting in that the perforation pattern mirrors the “Knox Crown”. Kinda cool i think.
DIY...idk. No doubt they use a die punch.
Thanks for asking...gave me a chance to wear this puppy.
Be well. Bowen
Ps: hat & diamond courtesy of 40Cal.

Thanks for the info, Bowen.

I think I'd like to try to ventilate one of my hats in this manner but I'd have to do it correctly.

More info requested from anyone who has the inside scoop on this.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There seem to be two sites that cover just about everything paracord: Paracord Planet and Paracord Galaxy (gee, how original these folks must be).

I went out during lunch today to a craft store and bought two skeins (is that how they're referred?) of 16' 550 paracord in different colors. Total cost, < $6.00US. This is practice stuff, until I learn the ropes (pun intended!).

I've wrapped two steering wheels with 550 paracord. Took about 60 feet. Great look, feel, and temperature control.

Rockwater

A-List Customer
I've looked at Panama Hats Direct, but they don't have a grosgrain ribbon that appeals to me. The Knox is a darker straw and I want something that accents it well without being bland.

The paracord isn't so much about making a hatband as it is about starting a new hobby. It's inexpensive and I can make the color combos I like... :)

If you want to shop for grosgrain, I found what I was looking for at https://www.britexfabrics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Grosgrain+

The beauty of this is, try it! If it doesn't work, you had fun. My monkey wrench to throw is...Keeping the history of this old milan by doing everything possible to clean the original adornments. Sometimes, if the stain isn't too bad, a little Woolite or maybe dawn detergent and a soak might do it. These old 50s/early 60s Straws have some real character. Two pennies for your kitty.

I wonder if anyone knows of a felt hat that is perforated like this straw.

Perforations in the side of the hat are all well and good, but heat rises. Holes in the top of the hat would allow heat to escape more efficiently, I would think.

As an(other) aside, what would be a way to make clean holes like these in the top of a felt hat?
Back in the day, a LOT of hat companies did that sort of thing for unlined summer hats. You will even find Top hats and Bowlers like that.........
M

Just curious, wouldn't holes in the top of the hat act like a drain that would catch water when it rains and get your head wet? :/
Would have to be one heck of a rain....remember....our hats are rarely straight and level on our heads to begin with....now if you set your hat on a table in the rain........on Toppers and bowlers that is certainly not an issue....also perhaps the drain issue is why on some summer hats they put side vents in....for those that walk and keep their hats on the level......;)
M:)

humanshoes

One Too Many
If you want to shop for grosgrain, I found what I was looking for at https://www.britexfabrics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Grosgrain+
Thought I'd jump in here with a point of information about Britex. They only carry the petersham (scalloped edge) grosgrain ribbon that is common to women's hats. They do not stock the woven edge grosgrain that is common to men's hats. I'm not sure when or why there came to be a gender distinction concerning these two types of ribbon, but that's the way it is. A good question for this forum I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner