Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Gird yourself for another "stupid" question.

To the old hands here, who know their way around blocking, steaming, stitching and what-have-you: I've been eyeing a Knox New York Vintage straw fedora in 7 1/4 LO on eBay. The seller is honest about the fabric band having some spots he's not tried to remove. The price isn't bad, and the page offers a bid. Should I? I have no clue as to cleaning a hatband. Maybe I can just replace it? What does that entail?
View attachment 111920

The easiest thing to do is replace it with a puggaree (pug). It’s simple and cheap. You can also change them in seconds and coordinate with your outfit if so inclined.

Gird yourself for another "stupid" question.

To the old hands here, who know their way around blocking, steaming, stitching and what-have-you: I've been eyeing a Knox New York Vintage straw fedora in 7 1/4 LO on eBay. The seller is honest about the fabric band having some spots he's not tried to remove. The price isn't bad, and the page offers a bid. Should I? I have no clue as to cleaning a hatband. Maybe I can just replace it? What does that entail?
View attachment 111920
Yes! If the price is not astronomical, say in the $60 or less range. I would be all over that one, but I'll let you have it.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
The easiest thing to do is replace it with a puggaree (pug). It’s simple and cheap. You can also change them in seconds and coordinate with your outfit if so inclined.

I learn something new every day here. Thanks!

Yes! If the price is not astronomical, say in the $60 or less range. I would be all over that one, but I'll let you have it.

Thanks, Mike. I've sent a message offering a bid to the seller. We're pretty close already on price.

Barry-MI

New in Town
There’s a lot of conflicting information on Akubra sizing. I’m in the group that has fits with getting the right fit and consistency one hat to another. I’ve found a few that have been perfect so it keeps me going.
I am between all sizes. 7 3/8, 57.5 and 22 5/8 circumference. In Akubra, I order 58. My Lawson was loose at first even with the tape in foam, now its nice and snug without. My newer Snowy River was loose, but shrinking nicely.

Barry-MI

New in Town
I think I've found my new primary source for hats! I spoke with Ernest DelMonico who was very helpful and informative. He told me that Long Oval just isn't being made anymore, but that DelMonico does their own blocking, and to just specify that on the order form. I decided to give them a try, so I ordered an inexpensive Stetson Reward Shantung Fedora with the request to block it to 7-1/4 LO.

He also said that it's not necessary to shape a fabric hat or cap to the long oval size. Because caps and fabric hats are softer, and not fixed in their shape, they will naturally mold themselves to a long oval head. He also advised me (and I guess anyone wearing a LO) to stick with proper sizes (7-1/4, 58cm) and avoid the S, M, L, XL hats. Given the variances I've seen with the generic sizes, I think that's good advice (also knowing that variances can occur even among the 'proper' sizes).

And DelMonico has a great selection of hats! A feature I also noticed was the "trigger" notice when a hat is out of stock. The wording is, "NOTE: The product you have selected is currently out of stock. Adding it to basket will trigger a PRE-ORDER of this item.." with an estimated ship date. I have my eye on such, a Stetson Frederick Wool Felt Fedora in navy blue. When I receive my first hat, I'll judge whether I want to go ahead with the Frederick.
I have both the Reward and two Fredericks, gray and navy. The Reward looks great, but shantung is like a paper. Don't let it get too wet. Frederick is wool, so a lot of people here won't like it for that, but I get many compliments on them as they look great.

I have both the Reward and two Fredericks, gray and navy. The Reward looks great, but shantung is like a paper. Don't let it get too wet. Frederick is wool, so a lot of people here won't like it for that, but I get many compliments on them as they look great.

Nothing wrong with wool. Every material has strengths and weaknesses.

I am between all sizes. 7 3/8, 57.5 and 22 5/8 circumference. In Akubra, I order 58. My Lawson was loose at first even with the tape in foam, now its nice and snug without. My newer Snowy River was loose, but shrinking nicely.

My Fed IVs were both too small. Two of the Campdrafts fit fine, but two were way too big.... and the intervening time and wear did not improve the fit. My Stylemaster fit okay, but my Balmoral didn’t fit at all. Just weird.

Akubra is the only brand with this “shrink to fit” sweatband problem. To me, this is not an acceptable issue that you just shrug off in the name of quirkiness. I’d gladly pay a bit more for a better sweat. I’d still consider buying more Akubras, but I’ll go in with my eyes open.

...Akubra is the only brand with this “shrink to fit” sweatband problem. To me, this is not an acceptable issue that you just shrug off in the name of quirkiness. I’d gladly pay a bit more for a better sweat. I’d still consider buying more Akubras, but I’ll go in with my eyes open.
I think a large part of the "problem" is that Akubra doesn't advertise or directly advise their customers of this "quirk"; not that I've seen, anyway. People who are familiar with Akubra hats are aware of it, but even then it was learned of through trial-and-error and word-of-mouth. I suppose I've just gotten used to it, and have been lucky that the hats I've received somehow managed to fit so well. On the other hand, at this point I'd probably be disappointed if I bought, say, a Stetson that was a little too large and it didn't shrink to a better fit.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
rain-leigh2.jpg

I wonder if anyone knows of a felt hat that is perforated like this straw.

Perforations in the side of the hat are all well and good, but heat rises. Holes in the top of the hat would allow heat to escape more efficiently, I would think.

As an(other) aside, what would be a way to make clean holes like these in the top of a felt hat?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wonder if anyone knows of a felt hat that is perforated like this straw.

Perforations in the side of the hat are all well and good, but heat rises. Holes in the top of the hat would allow heat to escape more efficiently, I would think.

As an(other) aside, what would be a way to make clean holes like these in the top of a felt hat?
Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works does vents in the top. Here are just two examples of his work:

i-7ChCmcZ-XL.jpg

i-m3BxjzK-L.jpg

Last edited:

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Boy, I love this thread. It's a "catch-all" for topics I can't find by searching the forum! :D

So here's my question du jour: My Knox New York Vintage Shop straw fedora is due to arrive tomorrow. I bought it knowing the hat band was stained. My first thought was to try to clean it, but then I thought this might be my "sandbox" hat to see if I can't create a new hat band for it. Maybe several.

I've looked online for grosgrain (which is what currently adorns the hat), but then I came across some nifty looking paracord hat bands. After viewing several YouTube videos, it seems making a paracord hat band requires more time than it does money or talent, so I thought maybe I could learn to create my own.

As a side note, when my daughter was a pre-teen, she got into making these threaded bracelets, and paracord seems to be a more modern interpretation of that activity.

Has anyone here made paracord hat bands? Any tips, gotchas, warnings or advice? I have a craft store nearby where I think I can get all the necessary tools (lighter, pony clamp, thread, needles, etc.) including (I think) the paracord. Of course there are numerous online sources for the cord, so that I'm not concerned about that. Learning the different kind of knots, braids and weaves is the challenging part. I watched how to create a cobra knot, and it's quite easy. Some of the others are more complex.

Might be a good way to while away a couple of hours in front of the TV on rainy days...

Boy, I love this thread. It's a "catch-all" for topics I can't find by searching the forum! :D

So here's my question du jour: My Knox New York Vintage Shop straw fedora is due to arrive tomorrow. I bought it knowing the hat band was stained. My first thought was to try to clean it, but then I thought this might be my "sandbox" hat to see if I can't create a new hat band for it. Maybe several.

I've looked online for grosgrain (which is what currently adorns the hat), but then I came across some nifty looking paracord hat bands. After viewing several YouTube videos, it seems making a paracord hat band requires more time than it does money or talent, so I thought maybe I could learn to create my own.

As a side note, when my daughter was a pre-teen, she got into making these threaded bracelets, and paracord seems to be a more modern interpretation of that activity.

Has anyone here made paracord hat bands? Any tips, gotchas, warnings or advice? I have a craft store nearby where I think I can get all the necessary tools (lighter, pony clamp, thread, needles, etc.) including (I think) the paracord. Of course there are numerous online sources for the cord, so that I'm not concerned about that. Learning the different kind of knots, braids and weaves is the challenging part. I watched how to create a cobra knot, and it's quite easy. Some of the others are more complex.

Might be a good way to while away a couple of hours in front of the TV on rainy days...

I don’t have any experience with this, but I’ve purchased a few hats with cord “ribbons.” I don’t care for the look and always replaced them with grosgrain. The teutonic hats are a different story and the cord work give them their regional flavor.

I want summer hats to be light and airy and I personally would opt for a lightweight ribbon. Panama Hats Direct has ribbons for $5. Still, if the cord look tickles you then go for and show us how it turns out.

https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/shop/accessories.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I want summer hats to be light and airy and I personally would opt for a lightweight ribbon. Panama Hats Direct has ribbons for $5. Still, if the cord look tickles you then go for and show us how it turns out.

https://www.panamahatsdirect.com/shop/accessories.php

I've looked at Panama Hats Direct, but they don't have a grosgrain ribbon that appeals to me. The Knox is a darker straw and I want something that accents it well without being bland.

The paracord isn't so much about making a hatband as it is about starting a new hobby. It's inexpensive and I can make the color combos I like... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner