Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

B. Kleinsteuber

New in Town
Chico Marx Hat

Hello Everyone.

My question is what type or make of hat did Chico Marx wear? I have seen in the Marx Films that it is not always the exact same hat, but similar in every film. Photos and links to places that sell similar hats greatly appreciated.

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by Rat Pack
Stingy, Stratoliner, Fedora, welt, bash, crease etc....

Is there a "hat dictionary" thread and I just haven't found it?

No, and probably with good reason. The thread would stray, as they tend to do, and answer nothing - much like the Felt Hat Basics thread. Also, many terms, while not totally subjective, have quite a bit of wiggle room in them. If you need a particular term defined, just ask here.

I see what you mean Lefty :)

Dr Handsome

New in Town
8 1/2

I've scoured the internet for any hint of an answer but unfortunately my question goes unanswered. I figured there might be some experts here who would help me find what I'm looking for: Marcello Mastroianni's hat from Fellini's "8 1/2". It looks like a fedora and acts like a fedora but it's got this unusual sweep in the brim. Here, have a look:

5f2b9i.jpg

m7yjpx.jpg

nbdklk_th.jpg

I want to say it's just it's just your ordinary garden variety fedora with the brim popped up in a some way but the whole thing looks more rigid than that. Thanks for any information you can give me on the hat because right now I've got nothing.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dr Handsome said:
I've scoured the internet for any hint of an answer but unfortunately my question goes unanswered. I figured there might be some experts here who would help me find what I'm looking for: Marcello Mastroianni's hat from Fellini's "8 1/2". It looks like a fedora and acts like a fedora but it's got this unusual sweep in the brim. Here, have a look:

5f2b9i.jpg

m7yjpx.jpg

nbdklk_th.jpg

I want to say it's just it's just your ordinary garden variety fedora with the brim popped up in a some way but the whole thing looks more rigid than that. Thanks for any information you can give me on the hat because right now I've got nothing.
I'd say it's probably a Borsalino from the low-crowned days. The not-too-thick ribbon hints at being a Borsalino, and they have wide brims. I bought a low-crowned Borsalino on E Bay recently. The brims Mastroianni has flanged upward in a winged style. If you want to get that hat, you either have to a) scour E Bay for a low-crowned Borsalino vintage hat probably from the 1950s; or b) have it custom made from the photographs. Your chances on a) are slim, as you might have to do a lot of E Bay watching until such a hat rolls around (it may never) and it's very hard to tell crown size from the photos. This leaves option b), which is a very good option in my estimation, because you could get Art Fawcett (www.vintagesilhouettes.com) to copy the hat, get it done with a moderate wait that avoids you messing around with Internet auctions, and at a reasonable cost, even in beaver if you want.

Dr Handsome

New in Town
Wow, thanks! I sure do wish I had the money to get it custom made at this very moment but I guess I'll just have to bookmark this post for when I'm ready to buy.

It'd be neat to have a replica made (and I'm most definitely considering that option) but would I be able to get the same effect with a similarly wide brimmed fedora?

Hopefully this post will show up on Google if anyone else searching for the hat. I know I saw one fruitless search over on IMDb.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dr Handsome said:
Wow, thanks! I sure do wish I had the money to get it custom made at this very moment but I guess I'll just have to bookmark this post for when I'm ready to buy.

It'd be neat to have a replica made (and I'm most definitely considering that option) but would I be able to get the same effect with a similarly wide brimmed fedora?

Hopefully this post will show up on Google if anyone else searching for the hat. I know I saw one fruitless search over on IMDb.
In my view the problem is the crown. Mastroianni's hat looks like a low-crown job, and they are not so common in the vintage arena, is my experience. However, my experience is very limited on E Bay. But even if they are common, which I doubt, the question is, could you tell them apart from the photos and descriptions? I say you could not. Furthermore I don't trust the sellers to measure anything correctly. I'm sorry but I don't. Some may do it well, but I wouldn't bet my money on it. You could certainly approximate that hat with a vintage hat bought second hand, but you'll get a different look because of crown size. The custom hat option may not be as extravagant as you think though. Just for fun you might want to contact Art and ask him how much it would take to make that hat. Then at least you'd have a benchmark. I believe the wait time on E Bay to get that hat is approximately "forever."

1OldGI

Familiar Face
OK, on the straw hat vs. felt hat issue. My research seems to identify 15 May as the date to start wearing straw hats. I've seen felt hat day as anywhere from 01 Sept to 15 Sept (although 15 Sept seems pretty definitive.) The logic is sound. After 15 May the function of a hat is shade as opposed to warmth. Sept 15 and beyond is Fall/Winter and the function of a hat is warmth (thus felt hats.) With that, my question has to do with seasons, specifically in the deep south. September 15th here is quite different than the falling leaves, frosty autmns up north. Is anyone aware of any extension of felt hat season based purely on the fact that Fall starts later in some areas than others?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
What grit sandpaper should I use to lightly sand out mothing on the crown and brim of a hat?
Since mothing is loss of felt you can't really sand moth craters or lines away, you need to fill them in. On a thick felt you might be able to lessen the visibility of the mothing by easing the edges out but I wouldn't try it on a thin light felt you might well create a hole or make it more visible through felt color change.

Dr Handsome

New in Town
danofarlington said:
In my view the problem is the crown. Mastroianni's hat looks like a low-crown job, and they are not so common in the vintage arena, is my experience. However, my experience is very limited on E Bay. But even if they are common, which I doubt, the question is, could you tell them apart from the photos and descriptions? I say you could not. Furthermore I don't trust the sellers to measure anything correctly. I'm sorry but I don't. Some may do it well, but I wouldn't bet my money on it. You could certainly approximate that hat with a vintage hat bought second hand, but you'll get a different look because of crown size. The custom hat option may not be as extravagant as you think though. Just for fun you might want to contact Art and ask him how much it would take to make that hat. Then at least you'd have a benchmark. I believe the wait time on E Bay to get that hat is approximately "forever."

There are definitely better shots of the hat throughout the film. Here's one more picture from the internet, a profile view:

24ctq4n.jpg

I'll admit that I know next to nothing about hats (which why I'm here) but it definitely does look lower. I'm also guessing with the right hat I'd be able to shape the brim myself?

It's those particular details (the brim, the shape, the crown) that, to me, make the hat seem more casual, less formal. That's actually what I like about it.

The prices on that web site, they didn't seem extravagant as far as I imagine a custom made hat would go (thats judging from the pre-made ones listed which weren't all too pricy, I'd assume a custom wouldn't be wildly out of that range) but I just don't have the money right here and now. I'll definitely give him an email when I'm ever ready to buy a replica. It'd would be pretty awesome to have something that close to the real thing.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
What grit sandpaper should I use to lightly sand out mothing on the crown and brim of a hat?

I believe RLK is correct. You would need to fill rather than remove. Like Bondo.

There is at least one thread on "repairing" moth bites. And people used to tease Gene that he should open a business on the side. Read those threads and come to your own conclusion. I would guess your best bet is to leave it alone ... ;)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Measuring crown height...

Silly me is hesitant about how to measure the crown height correctly (open crown).

Look at the image, how does it go? from right below the ribbon to the center of the dome (red arrow)?

or to the edge right before the dome (blue arrow)? [huh]

1606_open_cp.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano --

Imagine placing a ruler so that it is sitting on the brim, extending vertically, with its edge next to the crown. Next imagine placing another ruler flat across the very top of the crown. Where they intersect is the crown height. Does that make sense?

When I'm looking at crown height -- I will stretch a tape measure up from the brim and then hold the hat in a way that allows me to imagine where that point of intersection would be. And for a whole lot of vintage open crowns, that point tends to be in the neighborhood of 5 1/2".

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
JtL

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Aureliano --

Imagine placing a ruler so that it is sitting on the brim, extending vertically, with its edge next to the crown. Next imagine placing another ruler flat across the very top of the crown. Where they intersect is the crown height. Does that make sense?

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
JtL

Yup, makes complete sense!. Thanks, Jimmy! :D

NDByers11

New in Town
Adventurebilt Wait Time

Hey everybody,
I ordered an ab in April of 2008 and I haven't heard from Steve in almost two years. I know he's always super busy, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to grab his attention in an email or otherwise? If so they'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

theinterchange

One Too Many
NDByers11 said:
Hey everybody,
I ordered an ab in April of 2008 and I haven't heard from Steve in almost two years. I know he's always super busy, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to grab his attention in an email or otherwise? If so they'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

I know Steve is one HARD joker to get a hold of. I'm also a member of IndyGear's Club Obi-Wan, and this subject comes up all to often. Basically, you're in a pickle. He doesn't pay attention to email much [or so it seems from the frequent "I can't raise Steve via email" comments]... putting things like urgent in the subject doesn't seem to help, either. Some folks have had success with a snail mail letter of all things... or sometimes phone calls.

I may be stepping in it with this comment.I had considered buying an Adventurebilt a few years back, but honestly, the insanely long wait times [in Steve's defense, it's due to sheer order volume ;) and he's a one man show] and utter lack of communication [he claims to have no internet time, yet his forum posts are small essays. [huh] ] have deterred me.

All I can say is KEEP TRYING you'll eventually raise him. Maybe write him a letter... it's slow, but for some it works.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Resistol Krushable Q

A while back, I won a very nice 1960-something Resistol Krushable off eBay. The seller sent it to me in a box that was too small for the hat and flattened the darn thing. When I received it, I honestly didn't feel like fooling with it, so I popped the crown out and put it in a box.

The last few days, I've been trying to do something to get the deeply set folds and creases out. I have steamed it, gave it a good stiff brushing, fiddled with it by hand... nothing seems to get them out.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of 'em?

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo