Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Stetson

I saw the answer somewhere on this site but my search didn't give me what I wanted so I'll just ask it again...

I just bought 2 silverbelly Stetson open roadies. One is a "25" and the other an "XXXX."

Stetson XXXX is that about the same as a 25 or is the 25 better?

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Lefty said:
If the hats are exactly the same age, the 25 is better. Otherwise, it could go either way.

I am not sure of the ages. I have the "25" but I just got the XXXX on ebay tonight so I am not sure.

I think my 25 is a 50s or 60s model. The one I have coming has a tag inside that says the color is "601 S Belly" if that helps date it? But the seller did not include a shot of inside the hat.

By the way, above I originally wrote it was a three X but I just looked at the auction again and it is actually a four X.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Based on that extra X, the 25 is almost a lock to be better. Though it's been around a long time, I've never seen a 4x that wasn't a late 60s hat or newer. If you want to see price comparisons for hats from the same era, check out the Stetson Stuff thread and the Stetson Quality Experiment (think tank, something-something - it's a sticky).

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Thank you

Thanks. I only paid $40 for it, so I am not out too much. I intend to take it to Optimo and get a new 2 inch black ribbon put on it.

I already have the nicer 25 in an open road style and will leave it in as is condition. The thing is brand new condition. I don't think it was ever used by previous owners. So that one stays as my pristine example.

In the end I'll have the 4 X silverbelly Stetson that will still have cost under $70, so I think I am satisfied.

Irish4

Familiar Face
Thank you

Thank you Scottyrocks,I really do want to keep wearing a fedora,but not if they dont look right on me.I to remember the days when you could go into your local hat store and try on a hat,but those are far and few between.It seems many hats are sized in the Sm,Md,Lg way now

colps

One of the Regulars
custom hatter

Has anyone had any dealings with Gary at custom hatter?Just looking for some feed back. Thanks

colps said:
Has anyone had any dealings with Gary at custom hatter?Just looking for some feed back. Thanks
There have been some feed back posted about Gary White = one lounger has used him for years. I tried a search but nothing. Try googling "Gary White site:thefedoralounge.com"
You may need quotes around "Gary White" for better results.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I seem to recall that metropod reported that he had a custom GW and that it was his favorite hat (up until the time it was stolen). I may be mistaken, but it might be worth asking him.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Customers of Gary White that I can recall:
Herzen
Metropd
M6Classic - the one with many dealings with Gary.

All have had nothing but great things to say about him.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
MattR said:
What color of tie goes best with a black suit and a light blue shirt?

I would say, offhand, some sort of red or burgundy, although yellow would work very well too. It is hard to go wrong with a background as neutral as that.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Old European Hat Sizes

I'm wondering which of those corresponds to a size 60, or 7 1/2. I'd like to look on some overseas ebay sites, but I think I've seen on the lounge somewhere references to seemingly smaller-sounding sizes, like 5 for what to most of us is bigger than a 7.

Thanks for any clarification!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW