Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I too see no taper. Maybe if you broaden up that severely tight Indy pinch a bit it wouldn't pull in the top so much... but there isn't really any taper goin on. Enjoy yer hat.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
One thing I have figured out is that if I run the side ceases back a little farther I can get better, straighter lines. The Fed can be a little tricky and moon is absolutely right about the lack of consistency with Akubra.

I also don't really see the taper either though.
this cat seems obsessed with this "Indy crease" ... but I agree with you

also if you spread out the center crease into a sort of diamond or C it will take away that sort of oblong thing he is calling taper ... but again ... sacrilege to the "Indy crease" crowd

sometimes a hat just doesn't want a center crease ... on some hoods if the center crease is not right down the middle one side will tilt or bubble ... listen to the felt and don't force a crease the hat doesn't want to fulfill your adventurer fantasies

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
this cat seems obsessed with this "Indy crease" ... but I agree with you

also if you spread out the center crease into a sort of diamond or C it will take away that sort of oblong thing he is calling taper ... but again ... sacrilege to the "Indy crease" crowd

sometimes a hat just doesn't want a center crease ... on some hoods if the center crease is not right down the middle one side will tilt or bubble ... listen to the felt and don't force a crease the hat doesn't want to fulfill your adventurer fantasies
With that blocking and the felt its nearly impossible to get those hats to look just right. I think Bob's tawny Fed has one of the best looking creases I've seen on a Fed but that requires a hat that was processed right and the guys on the felt side of the assembly line was paying attention to what he was doing not to mention the good hands of the guy doing the creasing.

Those hats need to spend more time on the blocks with more water, heat and pouncing to really get that felt dense and the memory of the block shape really implanted into the felt. Until that happens creasing those hats will always be hit or miss.

I love the color combination of the heritage fawn Fed but I COULD NOT make that hat look good to my eye. I had to block it several times with my 52 block to finally get something I can tolerate.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
I was in Portland this morning (seeing a VA doctor) and stopped by the Outdoor Store. Asking to see a Riding Derby, the assistant showed me a Reed Hill (USA Made) Riding Derby that was a perfect 6 7/8 Long Oval At $105.00, I couldn't resist it. The 1 1/2" brim is a perfect example of what men wore during the 1890's. (I also bought a vinyl hat cover).

I received an answer from Mike At Northwest Hats. He told me that I could have my old Lincoln Bennet of London reproduced without much difficulty. I'm waiting for a quote. After I have paid for that, I'll have him make me a high-end version of the Stetson's Whippet.

The hats that I buy should serve me for the rest of my life.

I'll keep everyone posted about my purchases as they are made/arrive.

Thanks to all.

ninman

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd post some better images so you can see where I'm coming from.

20170505_215118_resized.jpg

Also, the dark brown hat feels extremely stiff when compared to the Moonstone hat. It's almost like they're two totally different hats.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Thought I'd post some better images so you can see where I'm coming from.

View attachment 73781

Also, the dark brown hat feels extremely stiff when compared to the Moonstone hat. It's almost like they're two totally different hats.
I can't see a taper but the crown on the brown hat is higher than your moonstone crown. Lower the crown on the brown Fed a bit more and that should give it a squarer look.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
With that blocking and the felt its nearly impossible to get those hats to look just right. I think Bob's tawny Fed has one of the best looking creases I've seen on a Fed but that requires a hat that was processed right and the guys on the felt side of the assembly line was paying attention to what he was doing not to mention the good hands of the guy doing the creasing.

Those hats need to spend more time on the blocks with more water, heat and pouncing to really get that felt dense and the memory of the block shape really implanted into the felt. Until that happens creasing those hats will always be hit or miss.

I love the color combination of the heritage fawn Fed but I COULD NOT make that hat look good to my eye. I had to block it several times with my 52 block to finally get something I can tolerate.
:)

I can't see a taper but the crown on the brown hat is higher than your moonstone crown. Lower the crown on the brown Fed a bit more and that should give it a squarer look.
I agree. The taller the crease, the more the curvature of the domed open crown can affect the shape, giving it a more curved appearance that Ninman could be perceiving as taper.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I was talking to one of our Hatter Pals a while back , and as many of us have figured out , there is a different consistency in the same felt (Beaver to Beaver , Rabbit to Rabbit) because of the dyes . Some cause the hood to be more brittle , others softer . Every color Dye is different , and makes the felt react differently . Plus the Hatter has to learn the felt of each color , some are easy to work with , and others need their own special thing to pounce well and look smooth and clean , consistently . Then there are bad hoods that just happen . I was told generally certain groups of colors produced less pliable felt , others seemed to turn into Butter . I imagine it all has to do with the Dyes just as I was told . Chemicals are used today that produce a certain color dye that years ago might have contained mercury or something making the felt feel totally different , AKA that Buttery Clay Like Felt basically unattainable today for whatever reason . Living Better Through Chemicals < wasn't that DOW Chemicals slogan ?

I think thats the reason Akubra and other companies have Hats of one color that are great and the same Hat in another color thats tougher to work . I know Mi Amigo was Borsalino shopping and noticed a difference in the same Hat in different colors . Color makes a Difference . Just the way it is .

Captain O

One of the Regulars
"
I was talking to one of our Hatter Pals a while back , and as many of us have figured out , there is a different consistency in the same felt (Beaver to Beaver , Rabbit to Rabbit) because of the dyes . Some cause the hood to be more brittle , others softer . Every color Dye is different , and makes the felt react differently . Plus the Hatter has to learn the felt of each color , some are easy to work with , and others need their own special thing to pounce well and look smooth and clean , consistently . Then there are bad hoods that just happen . I was told generally certain groups of colors produced less pliable felt , others seemed to turn into Butter . I imagine it all has to do with the Dyes just as I was told . Chemicals are used today that produce a certain color dye that years ago might have contained mercury or something making the felt feel totally different , AKA that Buttery Clay Like Felt basically unattainable today for whatever reason . Living Better Through Chemicals < wasn't that DOW Chemicals slogan ?

I think thats the reason Akubra and other companies have Hats of one color that are great and the same Hat in another color thats tougher to work . I know Mi Amigo was Borsalino shopping and noticed a difference in the same Hat in different colors . Color makes a Difference . Just the way it is .

"Better living through chemistry." - Dow Chemical

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic