Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AVI LTHR BRONCO A-2 Jacket Review & Pics

Flightengineer

Practically Family
looks great at the price point!!!! I guess the knits they use across the board are not the modern ones on their site? These updated vintage knits make a huge difference. Looks like a great A-2 and A-1 for someone not wanting to spend a lot. They are currently offering a sale of sorts for non EU orders and free shipping!

With knitting AVI's Bronco all right.

Attachments

• 20171119_134142.jpg
    20171119_134142.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 221

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just heard from Morten that the russet jackets will be going out this week. I'm going ahead and ordering, but I'm still wondering if I should go for a 38 pr 40. I normally wear a 38 sport jacket, with the exception lately of the super-skinny jackets some of the makers are coming out with. Would you fellows say that these jackets run small?

Flightengineer

Practically Family
I just heard from Morten that the russet jackets will be going out this week. I'm going ahead and ordering, but I'm still wondering if I should go for a 38 pr 40. I normally wear a 38 sport jacket, with the exception lately of the super-skinny jackets some of the makers are coming out with. Would you fellows say that these jackets run small?

My chest 38.8 - 39 and mine AVI Bronco size 40 http://s8.uploads.ru/t/YNhud.jpg

Flightengineer

Practically Family
You are welcome.
This is the photo of the first fitting last year. Now it looks much better after some wearing. Morten advised me 42, but I took 40 and I'm sure it's my size, fits nice.

Brettafett

One Too Many
These are WW2 patterned jackets so base size accordingly. For example, most originals I have tried on fit better in a 42, but most repros like Eastman, Goodwear, Aero, etc... I normally wear a 40 long.
As AVI's Bronco is based on an original, one would assume a 42 would fit me better... and it does.
I was able to compare the 40 and 42.
I am a trim 39.5" chest, 158 pounds/ 72 kgs give or take... and I found the 42 to be better for me, better lengths and just an all round better fit. The 40 for me was ok, but I found the sleeves and body just a touch short for my liking...

In fact check this Ebay listing for an original WW2 Bronco A-2 in a size 42
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original...465250?hash=item28555720e2:g:aqEAAOSwxfdasrxo
It measures very close to my AVI Bronco 42.

My humble opinion would be to go for a 40.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

These are WW2 patterned jackets so base size accordingly. For example, most originals I have tried on fit better in a 42, but most repros like Eastman, Goodwear, Aero, etc... I normally wear a 40 long.
As AVI's Bronco is based on an original, one would assume a 42 would fit me better... and it does.
I was able to compare the 40 and 42.
I am a trim 39.5" chest, 158 pounds/ 72 kgs give or take... and I found the 42 to be better for me, better lengths and just an all round better fit. The 40 for me was ok, but I found the sleeves and body just a touch short for my liking...

In fact check this Ebay listing for an original WW2 Bronco A-2 in a size 42
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original...465250?hash=item28555720e2:g:aqEAAOSwxfdasrxo
It measures very close to my AVI Bronco 42.

My humble opinion would be to go for a 40.
Thanks again. I just got home from work and was on the verge of changing my order to a 38, as that's the size of all my sport jackets and blazers, in fact I take a 38 short. My chest size is exactly yours, but I'm 5'9" and about 165 lbs. and in pretty good shape with no beer gut and a slim build. The one thing I'm afraid of is the jacket being too "blousy", as I'd like a trim fit. I guess, as you, FlightEngineer, and Morten have all advised me to size up I'll stick with the 40, but ARRGH! this is chancy. That's internet buying, I guess.

tropicalbob

You are welcome.
This is the photo of the first fitting last year. Now it looks much better after some wearing. Morten advised me 42, but I took 40 and I'm sure it's my size, fits nice.
Mind if I ask what size sport jacket or coat you wear? The reason I ask is because a 40 is always too big on me.

Flightengineer

Practically Family
Mind if I ask what size sport jacket or coat you wear? The reason I ask is because a 40 is always too big on me.

Forgive me, it is difficult to answer your question in order to benefit you.
I now do not have any american clothes other than flight jackets and some vintage field jackets, I live in Europe and my European suit and coat sizes are 48 or 50 - depends of manufacturer (it is euro - not american size chart).
If to you as that can help or assist, I too have slim build, my height 5'11"(180 cm) and weight 170 lbs ( 77 kg).
What else?
My original LW Foster Sportswear G-1 - size 40
My Eastman Star Sportswear A-2 - size 40
M51 and M65 contract jackets - SR and SL
CWU , L2B and MA-1 contract jackets - medium size.

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi Bob... Yeah, its very difficult recommending a size without knowing someone personally and their fit preference.
I went back and dug out the following info, hope it helps...
PLEASE bare in mind, there are likely small variations between each jacket, so the below is just my 'tinkering' and by no means gospel.
Below is a comparison of the 42 left and the 40 right. You can see minimal difference.
AVI BRONCO 40 vs 42.jpg
Approx Measurements – Size 40
Pit to Pit, across the chest: 21.5"
Shoulder to shoulder, across the back: 17.5"
Sleeve from shoulder, including Cuffs: 26"
Back length from base of collar, including Knit: 25.5"
Zipper length: 22.5"

Approx Measurements – Size 42
Pit to Pit, across the chest: 22"
Shoulder to shoulder, across the back: 18.25"
Sleeve from shoulder, including Cuffs: 26.5"
Back length from base of collar, including Knit: 26.5"
Zipper length: 22.75"

The 40 fit me ok, but as I can recall, the 42 just felt better to me.
I am glad I went for the 42, no regrets.

OPINION: As you say you are 5'9, and like a trim jacket, plus... even considering how soft and easy to wear the leather is, I still think you would need a 40.
You can always request the guys at AVI to find you a smaller 40 of the batch if thats even possible, but it never hurts to ask.
IF... you cannot decide, order a 38 and a 40... Return the smaller size for a full refund. No waiting, no drama. All it will cost you is the return postage, but you will know for sure either way and won't lose any more sleep. Thats what I had to do, as I was in exactly your shoes.

tropicalbob

Once again, thanks very much to both of you for the help. I'll make a final decision tomorrow after I hear from Morten.

tropicalbob

I just heard from Morten once again. He said that the russets will be going out tomorrow and added that they are, in fact, on the smallish side, so I went with the 40. I'll try and post some pics when it arrives.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
I may go for one of the russets. Will look forward to pics before purchasing. I noticed the label inside of the russet is the brand label and not the bronco repro label.

tropicalbob

I may go for one of the russets. Will look forward to pics before purchasing. I noticed the label inside of the russet is the brand label and not the bronco repro label.
I think you may be seeing the old picture. The new russets only just came in and haven't been posted yet. I'm fairly sure they have the military label.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Ah, ok, the one on the site? Sweet. Will be waiting for those pics to arrive here anyway. I am wondering if a 36 will be fine. 35" chest but both my jackets that are 20" seam to seam under pit work well for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24