Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bandanas: Okay, or dorky?

Brooksie

One Too Many
I like to sport a bandana every now and then also, like when I am cleaning or working or if I have rollers in my hair and have to leave the house. Your teacher needs to learn some manners I do have to say. (such as: if you have nothing good to say do not say anything at all!)

Brooksie

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm with everyone else. Where what YOU like and WHO CARES what other, lesser people think! :D

Bandanas are super-cute. They make the wearer always look more open and adorable. I don't get it why anyone would be adverse to that [huh]

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
VanillaT said:
... until one day last week a got pretty much made fun of by my teacher for wearing it. ....Arg.

Are you kidding? A Teacher making fun of a student!? WTF!

I'd look her straight in the eye and ask her what the problem is.

I had an art teacher like that when I was in High School. Back then I was going thru my "freaky stage". Being very adult, I questioned her and told her how insenstive she was. She thought she was being cute...geezzz.

She never said anything to me again and if I remember correctly she did apologise.

If this teacher continues to be insensitive, I would say something to your dean/principal, or school board. Let her know what it feels like to be looked down upon.

Drives me nuts when people in an authoritive position are rude. grrrr

nyx

One of the Regulars
That's extremely insensitive of your teacher. I got in the habit of wearing bandanas and scarves when I started to lose my hair from chemo, and even though my hair is back, I still find them fun to wear a lot. I guess my point is, she has no idea why you are wearing the bandana. For all she knows, there could be a medical reason that you haven't told anyone about, and it's completely not her place to point it out.

I remember the looks I used to get when I was losing my hair and how awkward people made me feel. I wonder if it's one of the reasons I kept wearing them afterwards. If more women wore scarves and bandanas, maybe women going through chemo wouldn't feel so out of place. Plus, they're cute!

Kishtu

Practically Family
Just to briefly play devil's advocate here, many, many years ago when I was a 15 year old vegetarian who loved The Smiths, my old English teacher (sadly now dead) used to make fun of me in the most appalling regional stereotypical way. (Mostly involving the use of the words "pork pie" in a comedy Lancashire accent...)

What he wanted was a dialogue - for me to verbalise why I listened to this "wimpish moaning invertebrate" - I quote, 20 years later! - why I wore patchouli oil and smelt like cellars. He was trying to provoke an reasoned argument in which I got to show off a little bit as to why I was so different to the other kids, and he got to maybe find out why anyone would want to listen to Morrissey....

I guess the point I'm making is that although it's an enormously stupid (and potentially risky) gambit, it may be that this teacher sees something more in you Vanilla, than in the rest of that class. Well, can you imagine - "you there, boy, why are you wearing those ridiculous trousers half way down your butt?"
"uh because they're cool miss?"

as opposed to
-"you with the bandana, why are you dressed like that?"
"because it's practical and smart, and partially in homage to the character of Rosie the Riveter, a proto-feminist icon..."

On the other hand, you might just have a teacher who's just asking to be made to look a fool.....[huh]

ValerieAmelia

Familiar Face
My friend Steve called me aunt jemima for wearing my hair in a bandana once and told me bandanas were lame...I thought it was really cute (and so did everyone else that day)

The key is to wear it with confidence and not listen to close minded people, because they will never enjoy themselves or anything else.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
ValerieAmelia said:
My friend Steve called me aunt jemima for wearing my hair in a bandana once and told me bandanas were lame...I thought it was really cute (and so did everyone else that day)

The key is to wear it with confidence and not listen to close minded people, because they will never enjoy themselves or anything else.

I've been called Aunt Jemima before too...but they were people I knew had no concept of the past except for the aunt jemima microwave pancakes they cook every morning for breakfast.. so I didn't mind.;) I just told them I make awesome pancakes and waffles! ha ha!

Antje

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
Polka dot meggie, I have a giant grape too, So the regular size bandanas I can barely tie in a knot. You can find bigger ones, you just have to look harder than everyone else. ;)

I found some cute ones last year at Target. and I always find some good ones at my local vintage store.

Also, you don't have to wear them to fully cover your head ala Rosie. Often times if my hair is curled, I'll just put some combs in to keep it away from the face and off the neck, and then I
1. fold the square in half to form a triangle.
2. fold the point of the triangle to the middle facing the long line of the triangle (1/3 of the way)
3. Fold the long line of the triangle to cover the point and you should have a long rectangle of a bandana with points on either end.
4.Place middle of rectangle at the nape of your neck and wrap around your hair /head, to cover or slightly cover your ears. and tie at the top.
Looks best of you've pomped the front or have some bangs or curly q's in front

I can do those with the smaller bandanas if I have to. Try it out and let me know what ya think! You might get to use those bandanas you have yet!:D

here are some of mine:
redcurlyq.jpg

SarahRosie.jpg

the b/w has the version I just described, and the other.. well, it's pretty obvious..hee hee I was also 9 months preggo and working at a cafe, hence the apron.

you look so cool whit your bandanas, they are the best, I only don't know where to buy them.
I use a little sjawl ( I don't know the good word for this) and put that on my hair

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I think bandanas are so cool to wear! I like to, but I find that my hair slips out a lot throughout the day, so I am not sure I wear it right.

But I do have to mention that whenever I do my hair up like that, I just have to expect people to say something or look at me funny. It comes with dressing in a certain era or out of the norm. I do have to admit that one day I was catching up with a friend at a pizza place, and I can bet that this group of people came up to us to tell us about church and Jesus probably BECAUSE of my bandana (prolly thought I was a gang member or wanted to be). That was the only conclusion i could make about some random people coming over to talk about a god in a pizza place? And only to my friends and I; no one else. Even then they seemed like they were talking directly to me. I could be wrong, but I'll never know for sure.

I have also been likened to both Aunt Jemima, and mammies. I don't understand that at all, but I just don't say anything to them, or I explain my case if I know them.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I love my bandanas. They're great when I don't have time to style my hair. The other day I woke up 20 minutes before I was supposed to leave for work so my bandana came right to the rescue. I like to glam them up a bit with pretty patterns and some big sparkly earrings. I used to get comments about how I looked like a cleaning lady but psh, whatever. As long as I like it who cares?

shooshoobaby1

New in Town
I think bandannas are great! I wore my hair in rolls the other day and decided not to take them out before I went to bed. The next morning I woke up late and had to hurry to get ready. I decided to wear a bandanna (Rosie the riveter style) and it only took a couple of minutes to fix my hair!! They are wonderful on rainy or windy days, or if you like to sleep like me. ;)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Ok, I have a problem with my headscarf wearing. I like to wear them Rosie the Riveter style, but the back of my head is really flat and they just won't stay put, even if I cover the inner surface with hairspray and bobby pin at the sides. I also have a low hairline at the back so I always end up with all those fuzzy bits of neck hair sticking out the bottom as the scarf rides up the back of my head... any tips?!!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Miss Hannah, mine won't stay put either. It moves around and flops down my head after a few minutes. The only way I can get it to stay on is to tie it on differently, but then I end up looking more like Axl Rose than cute retro girl so I'll keep practicing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner