Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Ive had it done only once but it was a fine experience. They are trained in shaving and you get all of the luxuries. Only drawback is that the chair basically sits in the window of the store so people walking by can see you getting your shave.

Don't forget to tip.

Let us know how it goes.

Rainsfan89

New in Town
Will do, but I'll have to save my pennies first, as a shave there costs $ 35! :eek: A friend of mine, a fellow lounger actually, goes to school at Ohio University in the southeast part of the state and he has 4 barbers around him who offer straight-razor shaves. If only we were so lucky up here.

Hercule

Practically Family
My barbershop in Berea does it - Parkway Barber Shop (by Giant Eagle), and it's a bit closer to you. Some of the Browns go there (if that means anything to you, it doesn't to me). Ask for Tim.

H

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Rainsfan89 said:
Will do, but I'll have to save my pennies first, as a shave there costs $ 35! :eek: A friend of mine, a fellow lounger actually, goes to school at Ohio University in the southeast part of the state and he has 4 barbers around him who offer straight-razor shaves. If only we were so lucky up here.

Oh, I used to go to the barber up on Main street across from the Historical Society Museum, they set standards so high that when I moved last year I was sorely disappointed.

I fondly remember the hot foam and straight razor to the back of the neck.

JimBob

New in Town
1950's Rockabilly Barber in the North

Hi, I'm looking for a good 1950's barber in the Manchester or Leeds area, I have been going to Mr Ducktails for the last couple of years but I live in Hull and because of work commitments I can't find the time to get down there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

mr.marlowe

New in Town
Savannah Barber HELP

I'm down in Savannah helping my fiance graduate and am looking for a good barber to clean me up before her ceremony (mostly a haircut, shave would be good, but not a deal breaker). Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Just found this for you mr.marlowe:

The Barber Pole
(Shopping - Specialty Shops)
110 Bull St, Savannah 31401 • 912-234-3831

Description: HISTORIC DISTRICT. This old fashioned Barber Shop has the traditional haircuts, hot lather shaves, razor cuts and more offered in the old fashioned style Barber Shop. The decor takes you back to a earlier more relaxed time when quality traditional haircuts were the order of the day. This is an old fashioned Barber Shop has all the service you would expect: shave, shoe shine, and a haircut for less than twenty bucks.

mr.marlowe

New in Town
that is one place I have not managed to go in the many trips I have made down here! I'll do that after I go to Smiths Barber supply for some aftershave splash!

mr.marlowe

New in Town
thanks for the help, by the way. I've seen that name thrown around quite a bit but wasn't sure if it was a legitimately good place or just hyped. i think i'll give it a shot on tuesday!

W4ASZ

Practically Family
thanks for the help, by the way. I've seen that name thrown around quite a bit but wasn't sure if it was a legitimately good place or just hyped. i think i'll give it a shot on tuesday!

I'll have to visit The Barber Pole. It sounds promising.

Returning off topic, I've been to Moon River many times. A couple of their brews and you may be joined at table by the ghosts of the Marquis de Lafayette and General Winfield Scott. :D

99benzman

New in Town
Barbershops, we need more "true" barbershops

I have a lot of love for a true barbershop. I have very fond memories from my childhood while visiting and getting my hair cut with my granddad and leaving there smelling like a man. I search and search for barbershops when ever I travel and I have found that outside of the African American community the true barbershop is lost. I thought about going to barber school so I could have a true men's place. I really like Hawleywood's setup and his philosophy of why they are dying and how he is keeping the art and men's community alive with this tradition. I am dying to get a haircut there and experiance it...plus he has a nice hat on.

[video=youtube;Hj1z7hShgfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1z7hShgfg[/video]

These days, a barber does little for me that I can't do for myself (I take off all my hair with electric clippers when it grows out to the point that I might consider using a comb), but I have an old friend who runs a little two-chair operation in a space that's been a barbershop for, oh, 80 or 90 years, I suspect. It's a guy's place, a barbershop -- not a styling salon, not a "hair art" studio, not a unisex cosmetological emporium.

I've known this guy for well more than 30 years now. We met before he made his career change and enrolled in the barber training program at a local community college. He practiced on me back in his student days. Had he screwed up (he never did) on my head, well, no real harm done. Just cut it all off (the hair, not the entire head, although some have suggested just that) and try again in a few weeks.

Interesting idea for a thread, benzman. Indeed, a person is left wondering why this topic hasn't been more thoroughly discussed around here already (or has it been? hmmm, not that I noticed), considering the style preferences most commonly expressed in this place.

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
The place where i get my bi-weekly buzz and shave is not actually a barber shop but it is a great place for men to hang out. Sit around discuss politics, play cards etc. It is not a barber shop because the owner did unisex hair for 25 years but got tired of styling hair and wanted to cut men`s hair. So even though there is no barber pole the atmosphere is the same and it is a really cool place to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails