Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

99benzman

New in Town
This is awesome...keep the replies coming fellas. Post addresses, photos and websites if you have them as well.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
One last bastion of old school babrber shops are traditional clubs like Athletic Clubs, University Clubs, venerable institutions like the Union League Club, The Jonathan Club, the Olympic Club, etc. Ony works if you can get into those places, but reassuring to know that they are there.

frussell

One Too Many
I found a traditional barbershop in my area last summer, and it was like going back 30 years to my old barber's in Houston. These kind of shops are getting real scarce, especially in a semi-resort area. As many old folks as we cater to, you'd think there would be more than one. I got my first clean up with a straight razor and hot towels in at least twenty years, and they even had a friendly old shop dog. Only bad part was the guy offered to trim my beard, and went a little crazy, taking it all the way down from 70s ZZ Top to 80s Don Johnson five-o'clock shadow. I hadn't seen my chins in years, and really had not missed them. I'll go back, as the price was right, but tell the guy to leave the beard alone. They even had one of those strapped-on-the-hand massagers that they used on your neck afterwards. Pretty cool. Frank

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
We've got lots of barbershops here in NYC -- there are at least ten within a ten-minute walk from my apartment. The prices are reasonable in most, too -- low enough that I take a haircut every two weeks without fail.

A shave is another story -- they charge quite a bit for those.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
There are a couple shops in the town next to me.

I get my hair cut here

Art's Barber Shop
18 Liberty St
Petaluma, CA 94952
(707) 762-2200

6dd0cd635f99fbdfa93b6210ce0af22d

I haven't gone here yet, but the reviews are excellent.

Al's Barber Shop
3470 Petaluma Blvd N
Petaluma, CA 94952

17a2aedce19b502b035ca5ed7c3e42f3

Nice shots there, Miller. Both look like the archetypal neighborhood barbershops we saw everywhere back when I was a youngster. Love those little freestanding buildings.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Lately I've been frequenting FSC Barber Shop, in the Village in Manhattan (very close to Skyvue, actually). My barber is Michael. He happens to be the personal barber of the Sartorialist. :) He knows his stuff. It's always a treat to go there, especially when they finish up the experience with a nice hot towel over your face.
http://fscbarber.com/

I have a lot of love for a true barbershop. I have very fond memories from my childhood while visiting and getting my hair cut with my granddad and leaving there smelling like a man. I search and search for barbershops when ever I travel and I have found that outside of the African American community the true barbershop is lost. I thought about going to barber school so I could have a true men's place. I really like Hawleywood's setup and his philosophy of why they are dying and how he is keeping the art and men's community alive with this tradition. I am dying to get a haircut there and experiance it...plus he has a nice hat on.

[video=youtube;Hj1z7hShgfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj1z7hShgfg[/video]

Been there done that last year in his Long Beach establishment. A great place---MEN only. :p

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Lately I've been frequenting FSC Barber Shop, in the Village in Manhattan (very close to Skyvue, actually). My barber is Michael. He happens to be the personal barber of the Sartorialist. :) He knows his stuff. It's always a treat to go there, especially when they finish up the experience with a nice hot towel over your face.
http://fscbarber.com/

I'd love to go there, and I've no doubt they do a great a job, but $40 for a haircut is more than twice what I pay. I take a haircut every two weeks, so I can't justify spending $100 (with tips) a month, alas.

Warden

One Too Many
In some ways we are lucky in that there are pently of barber shops were I live, they look fine, but the staff just do not have a clue when it comes to traditional men's hair styles. I have had terrible trouble getting a proper short back & sides.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'd love to go there, and I've no doubt they do a great a job, but $40 for a haircut is more than twice what I pay. I take a haircut every two weeks, so I can't justify spending $100 (with tips) a month, alas.

That's what I've been doing too, for many years. But i really like what Michael does with my hair, and I've gotten tired of the hit or miss results I get from Supercuts.

Fifty150

One Too Many
My favorites in The City
ACA_DICK1new.jpg
4189955.JPG
l.jpg

Even in politically correct San Francisco, you can still read a Playboy, Penthouse, or Hustler, in full view of people passing by.

YETI

A-List Customer
^^Barbers in the City charge way too much. I can still get an excellent cut in Vallejo for $10. He was the only barber in my town who refused to raise his prices. He also has stacks of girlie mags on the coffee table. :)

Fifty150

One Too Many
Dick's is only $12. Besides, I would go broke paying 2 bridge tolls and driving all the way to Vallejo for a haircut.

Higher prices are part of living in The City. But for those of us that live here, we can't afford to travel an hour to save a few pennies. The same way people in the suburbs can't afford to travel to The City to spend more money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner