Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Looks like a great place, thanks for the pictures. :) I am my own barber shop, so I'm not sure it's vintage. My house was built in 1946, does that count? :p

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello TuxT, Its called Robertsville Barbers on Branham Lane and Almaden Expressway. The owner (sorry, don't have his name at the moment) cuts our son's hair. My husband says whoever is available cuts his. Here's a couple of pics of Daniel sporting his vintage style haircuts:
360023937.jpg
360073180.jpg

Tux Toledo said:
Which barber shop do your husband and son go to?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bumping this because I need a haircut again, I tend to put it off until I start looking like Marty Allen.

Danny at Sweeney Todd's has retired but the place is still pretty cool, I've had my last several haircuts there.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Jump starting this thread...

I love the Fedora Lounge! After discovering it a year ago it has had a profound impact on my life and style. In a short period of time I've discovered the joys of Fedora's(felt & straw), started wearing double breasted suits, get shoe shines when ever and where ever possible and now...straight razor shaves.

I've been following all the hoopla about going to a barber for a hot towel straight razor shave on all the threads so a few nights ago I started googling to find a good barber for the treatment. I was initially taken aback by the prices I saw, $35 to as much as $75. Way to rich for my wallet. But then I came upon a video by a lovely young woman who goes by the moniker "America's Gypsy", and she did a little expose on a hidden gem called Uriel's Shoe Repair and Gabe's Barber in Chelsea. I walked in on Sunday morning and Gabe greeted me, i told him I saw them on the web and came for a shave. Twentyfive minutes later I sat up and asked Gabe what the damage was and he said "twelve bucks"...I felt guilty that a 20% tip would not even get him fifteen bucks so I spotted him a twenty...what a great experience and bargain!

Check out the video clip below...

http://vimeo.com/9187624

Bassman

A-List Customer
A hot towel and straight razor shave is quite an indulgence and luxury.
I used to get them from a local (Brooklyn) barber when I was in my 20's. Haven't had one in ages.
There's a new pricey shop ("E Shave" I think) in the concourse of Rockefeller center.
I just started going to a barber in the Port Authority Bus Terminal and he uses the straight razor so well on the back of my neck that I inquired about hot towel shaves. They offer that and it's reasonably priced. My next shave will be there!;)

djhatman

One of the Regulars
A hot straight razor shave is great. I have a place here in Salt Lake that will do it for $15.00 if you can get in. He is semi-retired so getting an appointment can be a pain at times.

Lou

One of the Regulars
WineGuy said:
I love the Fedora Lounge! After discovering it a year ago it has had a profound impact on my life and style. In a short period of time I've discovered the joys of Fedora's(felt & straw), started wearing double breasted suits, get shoe shines when ever and where ever possible and now...straight razor shaves.
Agreed.

I was initially taken aback by the prices I saw, $35 to as much as $75.
I find the same prices in my area. Most of these places market themselves as male spas and charge accordingly. I just want a quality cut and shave, not the complimentary beer and cigar and all the other stuff that pumps up the price.

Corto

A-List Customer
Back when I lived in NYC, I had a hot towel/straight razor shave at the "Royal" (or was it the "Royale"?) barber shop on St. Marks Place. Probably cost me $20 (13 years ago) and was given to me by a recent immigrant from somewhere in the former Soviet Union (Tajikistan, I think).

Let me tell you...the towels were so hot I thought I was going to suffocate...it was a feat of endurance sitting under those things...however, when it was over my face was so smooth it felt like it belonged to someone else. Everyone should do it at least once.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Sorry for horning in on the Gents' area, but does anyone knows of any place in London (UK) which offers this service? I'd love to offer my bloke the experience of a proper shave (when he does it himself he ends up leaving little islands of stubble all over the place!) for once.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Ok, I'm addicted! I was in Manhattan today and could not resist another visit to Uriel's to have Gabe give me a straight shave. BUT, this time Uriel took a break and serenaded me with great Klezemer style music on his clarinet. This shop is simply a gem...check out the video my wife shot on her iPhone.
(note: this is the tail end of the shave, so there is no towel or shave cream in the footage)

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks for posting this nice video, WineGuy! Nice thread also!
This autumn I will be going to visit NYC, and sure this barber shop is on my list "things to do". Thanks.
Andy

filfoster

One Too Many
Two bits

Another old guy at work and I are going to do this for the first time this month at The Cincinnatian, a barbershop on Main street in Cincinnati. Straight razor barber shave, hot towels, the whole bit. I can easily imagine a time, fast approaching, when this won't be available anymore (insurance, lawyers, no one knowing how to use a straight razor, no straight razors in the hands of non-gang members, etc.) so it's $14 and hope Frank has no grudges going that day. I will report back, if I can.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
bunnyb.gal said:
Sorry for horning in on the Gents' area, but does anyone knows of any place in London (UK) which offers this service? I'd love to offer my bloke the experience of a proper shave (when he does it himself he ends up leaving little islands of stubble all over the place!) for once.
Hello,

I highly reccomend Trumpers http://www.trumpers.com/

But more details about hot shaves in London can be found here. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article632256.ece

Carnage

One of the Regulars
bunnyb.gal said:
Thank you so much, Carnage, for your post - now I know what to get my guy for his birthday, and where to get it!

Oh, I noticed that was your first post, so welcome to the Lounge!

You're more than welcome.

Trumpers actually operate a "Shave School", so if you chap is not so hot on his shaving skills then it might be good to have him pop along to that also.

Do let us know how he enjoyed it all, it can be quite a relaxing experience.

Thank you very much for the welcome, normally I would read more and post less but in this case I am glad to be of service.

Rainsfan89

New in Town
Places to get a straight razor shave in NE Ohio?

Hello, would anybody happen to know if there is anyplace in Northeast Ohio in which one could get an old-fashioned straight razor shave? If anyone would know, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters