Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beauty Complaints

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
I think my biggest complaint is a scar at the corner of one eye, it creates a little divot and my winged eyeliner on that side is always wonky.
I hate waiting for nail polish to dry.
And i always seem to sneeze after putting on waterproof mascara, which takes forever to dry and gets everywhere.

Katue

Familiar Face
I hate Epilation. I used to remove leg hair with my epilator and after several years of using it I found out that I had occasional troubles with ingrown hairs. So I switched to Cold wax strips. I like it better but It's not so easy-to-use and I still have to remove some small hairs with the epilator.

Romamor4

Familiar Face
I wish my hair was thicker. I have always had very fine, thin blonde hair and have always wanted luxurious locks. Although I can't complain that my hair color is a natural golden blonde and still hasn't darkened even in my thirties. Fingers crossed!!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I am the opposite of hour glass. I am totally apple with smaller hips and bust and larger in the waist and I look better in Mens clothes than womens. on top of that am short and well those 30 pants are ridiculous on me and 40's can sometimes be managed but they can't have any pleats.

Oh and don't even get me started on winged liner I have given up all hope of getting this look it just never ever looks right no matter what method I employ.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm with you on that LOLG. But could someone tell me why, like today, when i was at home and just decided to throw on some slap and nip out for a newspaper, my eyeliner actually came out perfect, yet.... for a special occasion or work, i end up never being able to get the wingy bits right! Blast!

I have yet to be able to get a lipstick to stay on and not go all bobbly on me after a few hours. Primer, blotting, powder, you name it... i am the 'touch-up' queen!

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Not to mention that rosacea is evil. Good grief, I would love to be able to just brush on some powder and feel like I could go out in public without looking sunburned on my cheeks and nose only.
That too! I was just started a steroid dose pack and am waiting for the major flare that will appear.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I'm with you on that LOLG. But could someone tell me why, like today, when i was at home and just decided to throw on some slap and nip out for a newspaper, my eyeliner actually came out perfect, yet.... for a special occasion or work, i end up never being able to get the wingy bits right! Blast!

Same reason my hair always looks lovely when I pull it back to wash my face! Sod's law.

Juliet

A-List Customer
Cat hair - YES, big problem. Actually it helps a lot if you brush every cat/dog, every day . But who's got the time? Hence ... lint roller.

Depilating - it's just awful for me. If I shave, the hair grows back like on a monkey, and the dark roots are visible from UNDER the skin! If I use an epilator, the hair grows back less, but I nearly cry every time. Having pretty white thin skin also means that it's sensitive like nothing else. Like I'm holding a lighter to it. Add to that, that I can't stand hair on myself, unless it's on my head.
Gah. Awful. Some billionaire should open a charity fund for laser hair removals, seriously.

Annichen

Familiar Face
My hair is my only "problem".
I love to have long hair ( it is almost down to my knees now ) but it is truly a hassle, it is very time consuming.

Annichen

Familiar Face
I don't know..I am never really happy about the result,it is "impossible" to get perfect waves with hair as long as mine.
Perfect marcel waves is perfection in my eyes :)..but heck if I'll cut my hair...yet ;P

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
First post!

I have short, thick, STRAIGHT hair... impossibly straight. Right now it is so short that it is very difficult to roll the bottom, but I have tried and failed at pincurls several times. I have LottaBody (diluted 50/50 with water) in a spray bottle and 1/2" velcro rollers with end papers. I think I might have better results with sponge rollers so that might be next.

I have learned that I really need to let my hair dry a bit before rolling it... It takes me about an hour to do my entire head, and last night I did it from 7:30pm to 8:30pm and woke up with wet hair :-( I have a hood dryer courtesy of my mother from the 60s, and I had to use that for an hour before I could attempt to take them out... and it was STILL WET. So now I have waves. I also think I took too large sections of hair, so I'm going to have to go for smaller sections and more rollers next time.

It's a pain figuring out all of this stuff, I know it's different for everyone. But I can't wait for the day when I figure it out and start getting it right more often than not!

Juliet

A-List Customer
You know, I used to think my hair wasn't meant to curl wither - but then I found an old bottle of a very cheap mousse and used it on wet hair, which I pinned in small sections. Worked like a charm, better than any setting lotion.
I never got any results with rollers either. Keep on experimenting!

Kirstenkat

New in Town
I am horrible at applying gel liner. No matter how much practice, it goes on all crooked and makes a mess. I love the look of it over pencil liner but alas I apply it very messy.

Oh and as much as I love red lipstick, I can never wear it! Either my boyfriend wants to smooch (he hates lipstick) or I have to eat. Reapplying a zillion times a day gets old.

Last edited:

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
You know, I used to think my hair wasn't meant to curl wither - but then I found an old bottle of a very cheap mousse and used it on wet hair, which I pinned in small sections. Worked like a charm, better than any setting lotion.
I never got any results with rollers either. Keep on experimenting!

If I could get my hair to look anything like your avatar I'd be a happy woman!

Juliet

A-List Customer
LittleMissToniJo

Firstly, thank you very much! Second, trust me, the amount of ruined sets I went through is very impressive))) Just keep practicing. Small and neat sections and mousse were the key for me. Even if my arms nearly fell off the first time around lol
And, you know... just keep brushing:)

P.S. Check out this channel, it's very informative, and covers the basic looks one can later vary:

http://www.youtube.com/user/VividMakeup

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
First post!

I have short, thick, STRAIGHT hair... impossibly straight. Right now it is so short that it is very difficult to roll the bottom, but I have tried and failed at pincurls several times. I have LottaBody (diluted 50/50 with water) in a spray bottle and 1/2" velcro rollers with end papers. I think I might have better results with sponge rollers so that might be next.

I have learned that I really need to let my hair dry a bit before rolling it... It takes me about an hour to do my entire head, and last night I did it from 7:30pm to 8:30pm and woke up with wet hair :-( I have a hood dryer courtesy of my mother from the 60s, and I had to use that for an hour before I could attempt to take them out... and it was STILL WET. So now I have waves. I also think I took too large sections of hair, so I'm going to have to go for smaller sections and more rollers next time.

It's a pain figuring out all of this stuff, I know it's different for everyone. But I can't wait for the day when I figure it out and start getting it right more often than not!

My hair is very similar to yours but longer... shoulder length. I've been having pretty good luck with sponge rollers and end papers. Definitely on dry hair too or yes... it most likely won't dry by morning. I try to set it as early as possible around 7 or so. I also just got my modified middy cut into and the layers really seem to help lighten the load so I'd say it's something to consider. Hope this helps a bit! I too am a complete dunce at pin curls BTW.

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
My hair is very similar to yours but longer... shoulder length. I've been having pretty good luck with sponge rollers and end papers. Definitely on dry hair too or yes... it most likely won't dry by morning. I try to set it as early as possible around 7 or so. I also just got my modified middy cut into and the layers really seem to help lighten the load so I'd say it's something to consider. Hope this helps a bit! I too am a complete dunce at pin curls BTW.

I REALLY need to get sponge rollers, I think that might help me quite a bit. I am going to try this tonight with dry-ish hair... I know I won't be setting it till 10pm or so, though! I'll report back with how it works out :)

I am nervous about a middy cut... how does it look when it's straight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner