Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belt backs

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
England is going to be awesome! I'm probably going to pack my Curlee Clothes suit, because it's heavier in weight than the previous suit that I posted about. I am debating whether to just bring my 35mm camera with black and white film (for my photography class) or to bring a digital camera as well!
Actually, I just saw a taupe dbl-breasted suit with belted back on a site for an awesome price and doesn't need too much alteration, but my wallet can't handle the overload lately, considering I just bought 2 sets of cufflinks, a bunch of ties, and 4 new shirts in just the last month. Oh well...I think that taupe suit would be my perfect Howard Hughes suit if I could get a pair of Keds Triumphs, but my wallet can't handle that right now...so maybe I'll find another perfect suit in the future.
shop_chld_group_39.jpg
stock_SBJ_a.jpg

My main dilemna at the moment is which hat to wear! Gray or brown...Akubra or vintage? I think I should only bring one to keep my baggage down.

Also, does anyone know how Art is? He hasn't replied to my e-mails of late. Does anyone know if he is still in Oregon attending to family?

Ray

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
It's authentic 1940's vintage, too. What I'm looking for is actually what Jack Nicholson wore in Chinatown. I think it was a belted back with inverted pleat in the back. That look is so intriguing. It's almost like an open wound in the skin of the jacket. I'd think it would be a nuissance for practical wear, though. The pleat would probably get snagged on things, like the back of a picture frame.

EDIT: I just looked at the site again. It's just for the jacket, it doesn't include pants. It's still a beautiful jacket, but due to money constraints I'll probably pass on it. If money was no issue, I would get it just for the sweet Norfolk belted back. So awesome.

Wild Root

Gone Home
HEY! TRY AND FIND A WAY TO GET THAT SUIT!!! THOSE ARE DRYING UP!

Don't Pass on it if you don't have too! Borrow some cash and do what ever you can to buy that suit! Because in the next few years they will not be so ez to find. Once these are all bought up, you will have the hardest time finding any at all period!

Don't pass this up my friend! Get it! Specialy if it's at a good price! These things can go for 300 to 400 bucks! Double breasted ones are even harder to find!!!

And about the pleats getting cought on things? What are you thinking? The only thing those pleated belted back coats need is a good pressing once in a wile.

GO GET THAT SUIT!

Root.

PS. You say it's just the coat, that's fine! You can wear that with a dark pair of pants! Blue, black, dark gray, even a pair of ivory pants would work! Summer time all the way man! Get it!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Wild Root said:
HEY! TRY AND FIND A WAY TO GET THAT SUIT!!! THOSE ARE DRYING UP!

Don't Pass on it if you don't have too! Borrow some cash and do what ever you can to buy that suit! Because in the next few years they will not be so ez to find. Once these are all bought up, you will have the hardest time finding any at all period!

Don't pass this up my friend! Get it! Specialy if it's at a good price! These things can go for 300 to 400 bucks! Double breasted ones are even harder to find!!!

GO GET THAT SUIT!

Root.

Word ... ... word.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thread BUMP!

Hey, found this photo from a site that has stills from KING KONG 1933. I love his coat in this shot. You see how it was to fit and the pleats. Just love this look and wish they still made them like this today!

Root.

kong5gj.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Belt back in leather?

Hm,

Johnson Leathers in SF does custom work. I was just
thinking about getting a light leather coat made there.
I wonder if they can copy the lapels and back of the
jacket at the beginning of this thread... A casual, California
coat to wear with vintage hats...

Thanks for posting the pictures! Get that jacket! The years
of regret are more expensive.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Hey Root,
Sorry, I missed out on it. It was sold just before I got to the states to purchase it. They were charging outrageous shippng rates int'l or something or other that put me off from buying it before I reached the US for holiday.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
They are everywhere and they are beautiful...

Recently I had a sensation not unlike the first time I realized that girls weren't gross, that in fact they were awesome, and shockingly everywhere.

This realization came via my usual thrift store shopping when I realized that there were belt back jackets, action back jackets, and generally amazing tweed jackets all over the place. My frame of reference had been the horrible 70's polyester incarnations and not the very sporty golden era versions. Quickly, I have been able to pickup four jackets averaging a price of $7.99. I am now smitten with the idea of mixing the "odd jacket" in with my usual attire. I would love information on the history of belt back and action back jackets. Additionally, I hope that you guys will post pictures of your own jackets or movie stills of belt backs and action back jackets "in action".

Here is a picture of one of mine:

actionback.jpg

Riley Dee

cookie

I'll Lock Up
PUTIN

Did anyone see Vladimir Putin wearing a beltback/Norfolk jacket when he was on TV tonight with Bush in the Sochin Crimea conference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy