Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts or Suspenders?

What do you prefer, belts or suspenders?

• Belts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
p153.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
You guys are too funny!

Tony, that photo of ya is so period correct it's insane! :eusa_clap The short tie, the braces... man, that is so depression era!

For me, I wear braces once in a wile... never daily and not with every suit. When I go dancing, I'd love to wear braces but, they don't keep my pants up very well because of the moisture from sweating causes them to sag and droop. I wear a belt when jitterbugging and also when hanging out in casual vintage threads. Braces I wear when dressing in a nice vintage suit for a dinner party or out with friends to a restaurant. When I say my braces are all vintage, I'm not trying to brag, just stating that they're 60 + years old and not up to the challenge of normal stress. I'd love to buy some new braces if they made them in classic styles such as the popular 30's and 40's Paris brand which were narrow with long tapered leather button in tabs. I love the old bridge back style they offered! They just don't make braces like they used too!

I really like the way they look with high waisted pants... very sharp if they're the smooth narrow dress suspender I just described.

You know, I'll post some photos of some of my favorite styles of braces later today.

=WR=

Wild Root said:
You guys are too funny!

Tony, that photo of ya is so period correct it's insane! :eusa_clap The short tie, the braces... man, that is so depression era!

For me, I wear braces once in a wile... never daily and not with every suit. When I go dancing, I'd love to wear braces but, they don't keep my pants up very well because of the moisture from sweating causes them to sag and droop. I wear a belt when jitterbugging and also when hanging out in casual vintage threads. Braces I wear when dressing in a nice vintage suit for a dinner party or out with friends to a restaurant. When I say my braces are all vintage, I'm not trying to brag, just stating that they're 60 + years old and not up to the challenge of normal stress. I'd love to buy some new braces if they made them in classic styles such as the popular 30's and 40's Paris brand which were narrow with long tapered leather button in tabs. I love the old bridge back style they offered! They just don't make braces like they used too!

I really like the way they look with high waisted pants... very sharp if they're the smooth narrow dress suspender I just described.

You know, I'll post some photos of some of my favorite styles of braces later today.

=WR=

The suspender elastic must be weak if it isn't holding up your pants. That is why I like the silk ones better. Int he modern you have to go for silk because the elastic just doesn't hold up

Wild Root

Gone Home
Of course it's week, it's 60+ years old!lol Even if it was NOS, they just don't last if one dances in them and sweats... it's a matter of heat and moisture. Modern braces do this too. Now, if I was to wear vintage ones with my suits to a non dancing event and I didn't sweat, they'd work fine.;)

For everything else, there's belts!lol

=WR=

Wild Root said:
Of course it's week, it's 60+ years old!lol Even if it was NOS, they just don't last if one dances in them and sweats... it's a matter of heat and moisture. Modern braces do this too. Now, if I was to wear vintage ones with my suits to a non dancing event and I didn't sweat, they'd work fine.;)

For everything else, there's belts!lol

=WR=

Or there is silk. Ahhhhhh! NO falling down. :arated: They could get sweaty too but then there is vodka. For you and the suspenders. ;) :p
Belts just remind me of the no-account guys who walk around with their pants at their knees. They have a belt but I have no idea what for. [huh] :p

Regards,

J

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I have been wearing both, and it's not to keep my pants up, it's to keep my shirt in!

You have how to wear a suit, now anybody have a suggestion on how to wear your shirt and keep it tucked in?!

carebear

You have how to wear a suit, now anybody have a suggestion on how to wear your shirt and keep it tucked in?!

There's lots of ways....

Shirt garters, they attach from the shirttails to your socks, real common in the military for dress uniform use.

http://www.dsasd.org/store/product_info.php/products_id/109?osCsid=07a9113a6724b2fce218f211e5fb2ff7

Or they make a rubber belt device you wear over your shirt below the pants at the waistband. It has little fingers that grip the shirt and pants and prevent them riding up.

http://www.dsasd.org/store/product_info.php/products_id/200?osCsid=07a9113a6724b2fce218f211e5fb2ff7

http://www.leonuniform.com/alpro_ultimatebelt.htm

http://www.theofficialschoice.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=72

Longer tails help by giving more surface area for friction. Some trousers have small leather patches inside the waistband to provide a bit more grip on shirt fabric than the trouser lining does. They can also be added later by a tailor.

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/index.asp?category=235441&count=1

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I think I'll try the shirt garters. I carry enough weight in my pockets to begin with, I might as well add on.

In my undegarments, I don't know....:eek:

carebear

happyfilmluvguy said:
I think I'll try the shirt garters. I carry enough weight in my pockets to begin with, I might as well add on.

In my undegarments, I don't know....:eek:

Are your legs hairy? Cause garters can snag hair as you move. :eek:

Fashion tip, if you have military creases in the shirt you can pinch them at the bottom with the garter and help keep them sharp during wear

oh, I found the knobbly kind of belt in that same catalog and added the link.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I'm having trouble finding belts to wear with double breasted suits. Usually the buckle is too thick and makes an unsightly lump in the front of the jacket. Suspenders help maintain the clean line.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
I'm having trouble finding belts to wear with double breasted suits. Usually the buckle is too thick and makes an unsightly lump in the front of the jacket. Suspenders help maintain the clean line.

Man, you shouldn't wear your large rodeo champion belt buckle with a suit!lol It's nice but, save it for a special occasion like when eating out fancy like down at Applebee's!lol

Go to some fancy department store and get one of them flat narrow belts cousin! Twhat you should be wear’n with one of them G-Men suits any how.:D

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner