Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts or Suspenders?

What do you prefer, belts or suspenders?

• Belts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cobden

Practically Family
I prefer braces myself, but only if I'm wearing a jacket. I find them cooler, more comfortable, never need to pull your trousers up, and, if you are wearing a waistcoat, it avoids really odd looking folds from popping up through the armholes (or is this just me who finds this) as well as the horrible sight of a belt buckle popping below ^ at the bottom of a waistcoat.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think a friend would agree with you ladies. I mentioned something about Swing Shift recently and she said she hadn't seen it since it was in theatres about 20 years ago but, and I quote, "That's the one with Kurt Russell with suspenders and no shirt and a Fedora in the rain, right?" Uh, let's see - I think there was also something about World War II and Goldie Hawn and stuff like that, too. :) She also remembers L.A. Confidential based on the scene with the councilman in athletic shirt, suspender and Fedora.

The light bulb finally clicked for me after talking about Swing Shift and I tipped off her fiance. He said he really owed me because they had a great weekend after he got a Fedora & suspenders. :p And all I got out of her all week was Dave was home and she didn't have time to IM or email. ;)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
I think a friend would agree with you ladies. I mentioned something about Swing Shift recently and she said she hadn't seen it since it was in theatres about 20 years ago but, and I quote, "That's the one with Kurt Russell with suspenders and no shirt and a Fedora in the rain, right?" Uh, let's see - I think there was also something about World War II and Goldie Hawn and stuff like that, too. :) She also remembers L.A. Confidential based on the scene with the councilman in athletic shirt, suspender and Fedora.

The light bulb finally clicked for me after talking about Swing Shift and I tipped off her fiance. He said he really owed me because they had a great weekend after he got a Fedora & suspenders. :p And all I got out of her all week was Dave was home and she didn't have time to IM or email. ;)

In the move of refreshing and restyling my wardrobe, I have gone back to suspenders. Actually, braces really. Hearing folks like Kat and other gals, I'm thinking I made the right choice to go back to braces. Other than that, they're really comfortable.

KAT

A-List Customer
;) good one..im still thinking to come to the queen mary event (only one night...after that everybody will be glad im leavin the ship)lol

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
skinnychik said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the difference between suspenders & braces?

In short, Americans wear their suspenders on their teeth. This is because they don't wear trousers, only pants, which have an elastic waistband.

Wild Root

Gone Home
They're the same thing. It's funny how there are more then one name for the same thing. Trousers/pants same thing! Braces/suspenders, same thing.

Button in braces or suspenders are best!

=WR=

Americans wear their suspenders on their teeth? Hummmmmm, ok.[huh]

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Americans wear their suspenders on their teeth? Hummmmmm, ok.[huh]

That's what I was thinking. Gee, thanks for the clarification, Shaul-Ike. I feel much better.

So, can you just sew buttons inside the waistband of any pair of trousers & wear suspenders with them? I'm not seeing a surplus of suspendered slacks at the suit stores, and I don't have any good vintage patterns for menswear.

carebear

skinnychik said:
So, can you just sew buttons inside the waistband of any pair of trousers & wear suspenders with them? I'm not seeing a surplus of suspendered slacks at the suit stores, and I don't have any good vintage patterns for menswear.

I've seen buttons sewn on standard trousers for suspenders but remember the waist is going to sit differently and the closure might be a little plain (being designed for a belt) so the look may be a bit off from vintage.

My question is, is there a standard center to center spacing and distance from the centerline or sideseams?

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I had thought about that too, but I figured I'd just have him try them on and compare various spacings with photos from the internet until I had a proportion that looked normal.

Wild Root

Gone Home
My vintage pants have the buttons about 3" apart from each other. They shouldn't sit too close to the front of the waist band either. They should sit some what to the side... inline with the first pleat and side pocket on a pair of pleated trousers.

They had them farther apart in the past, I like them that way... plus, suspenders look better with higher waisted pants.

Something to think about.

=WR=

carebear

skinnychik said:
I had thought about that too, but I figured I'd just have him try them on and compare various spacings with photos from the internet until I had a proportion that looked normal.

If I were him I'd probably be up for an hour or so of waistband modeling. Men are usually willing to support such worthy fashion endeavors. Just watch the pins. :D

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
skinnychik said:
That's what I was thinking. Gee, thanks for the clarification, Shaul-Ike. I feel much better.

:)

OK, so what it's really:

British English braces = American English suspenders =
suspenders.jpg

BE suspenders = AE garters = [ EDIT: For content.]
[[comment after the bartender's moderation: that was a picture of suspenders on a leg - I'm not sure if that was a real or a plastic leg. The problem was to find a picture that showed suspenders/garters without showing skin, because then, people might just not see what kind of elastic that is supposed to be. Anyway, this discussion probably disambiguates the confusion without the need of a picture. Shaul-Ike Cohen]]

E braces =
invisalign_zahnspange.jpg

BE trousers = AE pants =
trousers.jpg

BE pants = AE underpants =
Captain%20Underpants.jpg

S

Samsa

happyfilmluvguy said:
I think I'll try the shirt garters. I carry enough weight in my pockets to begin with, I might as well add on.

In my undegarments, I don't know....:eek:

All you need to do is tuck your undershirt into your briefs/boxers. I've been doing it for the last few weeks or so, and it hasn't failed yet. No need to tuck the dress shirt itself in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters