Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belts or Suspenders?

What do you prefer, belts or suspenders?

• Belts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wild Root

Gone Home
Bespoke said:
...braces can't even hold themselves up...
antiquing-3sept06.jpg

Ball cap??? Isn't this the Fedora Lounge?:p

=WR=

Bespoke

New in Town
Yes, but...

Wild Root said:
Ball cap??? Isn't this the Fedora Lounge?:p
=WR=
...I think the original post referenced "suspenders" and it was that (along with later comments discussing the way suspenders occasionally failed to hold up their end of the bargain) that I was responding to. But your point is well taken. My apologies.

Jay

Practically Family
Was tucking a tie into one's pants accepted? Cause that would save a lot of time in the morning when I don't want to fuss around with my tie for too long...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, the tie/pants tuck... very Mertz of you! I do it now and again, I like doing it my self because I have seen it done in the golden era.

Back on track.

I have seen some belts worn with suspenders but, I prefer one or the other... not at the same time.

=WR=

Wild Root said:
#@$%& The Yankees! Ever since I heard they're going to take down the old park to build a new one... GrrrrRRRrrrrr!

You can have them Yankees!

=WR=

The stadium is another issue entirely.
However if you want to pull for a team then you can't go wrong with a club that has won 50% of the World Series contests over the last 80 years---last time I looked. Granted their teams of today aren't exactly those of the 1920s-1950s. [huh] :D

Regards,

J

Bespoke

New in Town
Actually, it didn't

jamespowers said:
P.S. How did it get over your shoulder and out of the jacket?
While out antiquing, I was tasked with assisting to carry a largish piece of dusty furniture to a woman's car. So as to avoid damaging either jacket or brace, I'd removed them and then simply left the straps dangling towards terra firma (as is oft my "style" [ever the iconoclast]) for the remainder of the day.

Bespoke

New in Town
I'm thinking it was accepted...

Jay said:
Was tucking a tie into one's pants accepted? Cause that would save a lot of time in the morning when I don't want to fuss around with my tie for too long...
...at least in some circles as I seem to recall that a couple of my uncles used to tuck their wide cravats into their multi-pleated slacks back in the '50s. It might be worth noting, also, that I don't recall ever hearing any of my aunts casting terms like "well dressed" in their general direction.

Officially, I tend to use Cary Grant, Basil Rathbone and Clark Gable as my barometers of classic male adornment, and I've never seen (nor could I imagine!) any of these savants of style tucking neckware into anyone's britches (including their own). Tho' I could be wrong.

Bugsy

One Too Many
ArrowCollarMan said:
This is the battle of the hoistery! BELTS OR SUSPENDERS?!
I have a liking for suspenders. I really like how they keep my pants where I want them whereas with the belts the pants eventually sag as I walk. The belts are for everyday wear but I really wish I could wear the suspenders without looking like an ass.

I wear braces all the time, and I hope I don't look like an ass. I think it just becomes part of one's style.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Unfortunetly I have only one pair of modern clip suspenders. Until I can get some good button braces they'll do the job - nice shade of brown.

But then, I've always been more of a belt man I guess. I wear belts daily with my khakis, and even a couple of my suits (if they have loops).

Daniel

Familiar Face
Braces may be "out of style," but so are many things we discuss on this board. I have my tailor put suspender buttons in all of my pants; she does a great job and only charges $8.00.

I've had her put suspender buttons on a pair of Levi 501s and worn them with a french-cuff shirt, no tie. It's a great mix of casual and formal. Looks good on a vintage Vespa, too.

I buy all of my clothing at thrift stores (blessed with many in this area) so I can wear pants, with suspenders, that would simply be too big in the waist to wear with a belt. They look just fine given the drape. Thrift stores are also a gold mine for suspenders; I have around 40 pair, and have never paid more than $3.00. Most people who shop at thrift stores are not looking for suspenders, cuff links, or 1940's-pattern ties, so they're cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters