Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Berets, Anyone?

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Thanks Daan, you are "The Man"....and your thoughtfulness in getting back to us. Thanks, for always being there for us...

This treatise on the Beret/casquette or perineos, is super! I'm a firm believer in bonding with the few hats I have, by using them to protect me from the elements as well as for fashion. With my hats, there are no free rides...A hat is a tool and thats how we make the strondest bonds with them, whether new or vintage.

This year, my wife asked if I would like a new hat. I said, "maybe I'll pick out another beret." And she said, "Noooo, please let me surprise you with something". Then Christmas I received this Elosegui Boinas Pirineos! I was shocked, that she would even know about such a hat or even about a company like Elosegui...

I hadn't thought about one of these before...But I really love this guy now, it's becoming my daily 'go to'...And my wife digs it...It's a modern slant on a classic theme. I hope this new design helps to open a new demographic to the World of berets.

And now sitting here reading your mini treatise on how they make these, I dig this addition to the family even more! The attention to detail this process demands...These are the kind of things folks should be aware of. I'll certainly spread the word....about this and Elosegui's integrity. Aswell as yours, my friend....Thanks Daan!

PS I'll post some pics soon...

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Berets were so identified with the "Beatnik" Counter Culture in the late ''50's and early '60's".
That yes, not only were they adopted by Musicians like Dizzy Gillespie and Thelonious Monk, writers like Jack Kerouac and Hemingway, but also by.......celebrities like......yes, you got it,
image.jpeg

Heath

New in Town
If you weren't already getting your grove on,
you could purchase a far out kit and join the revolution too. No need to be a square, man.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Being a beatnick also meant speaking the jive. Below are some helpful hints. Like groovy man.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Daan

Vendor
If I got the maths right, Canada is where most of my customers live on per capita basis and it shows; many well known Canadians have featured on The Beret Project.
upload_2018-1-7_14-58-56.png
upload_2018-1-7_15-0-42.png

Bushcraft and wilderness survival instructor, naturalist and author Mors Kochanski is one; just like Bob Abrames, called today's most foremost voyageur.
upload_2018-1-7_14-58-44.png
upload_2018-1-7_15-4-42.png

Betty Ann Pennier is a Coast Salish (BC) fashion designer and the woman behind some beautiful native Canadian inspired berets, while
Marlene Liddle is Haida of the Yahgulanaas Clan, Raven moiety, descendent from a long line of renowned Haida artists and carvers and makes berets from yellow cedar bark.
upload_2018-1-7_15-5-34.png
upload_2018-1-7_15-7-52.png

Many Canadians volunteered for the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil War; for many a first introduction (and often lasting relationship) with the (Basque) beret.
More contemporary, and a superb role-model (!), is bluesman and good friend Paul Reddick:
upload_2018-1-7_15-10-2.png
upload_2018-1-7_15-10-10.png

Despite the rich history of berets in Canada (so much more than the few examples given here), Canadian boineros and boineras suffer greatly from the poor service supplied by Canada Post and Canadian Customs. Strange but true, many berets posted to Canadian customers take between 6 and 10 weeks to arrive!
The main cause is the enormous influx of parcels from China and Post and Customs unable to cope with it. For those interested:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-reveals-it-is-the-reason-for-lengthy-parcel-delays-1.3447438
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/delivery-dela...aiting-months-for-orders-from-china-1.3441778
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/delayed-delivery-canada-post-says-you-get-what-you-pay-for-1.3446303
I sure hope it doesn't stop any Canadians from making use of this week's Special: some of the very last, the Bérets Foulards Édition limitée Aotearoa, handmade by master-bonetaire Denis Guédon for Boneteria Aotearoa.
upload_2018-1-7_15-18-23.png
upload_2018-1-7_15-19-37.png

World's highest quality - most comfortable berets with a custom made New Zealand themed cotton lining and fitted with the Boneteria Aotearoa woven label.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Usually, I am quite reluctant to post pictures here of my family, but after receiving the best Christmas present ever yesterday, what choice do I have other than to share 'At Home With the Beret King' with you?
View attachment 99659 View attachment 99660 View attachment 99661
A beautiful custom made book, portraying my berets, Beret HQ, the "beret art" in the garden and the beautiful women I live with!
View attachment 99662 View attachment 99663 View attachment 99664
It certainly made my Christmas!
View attachment 99668 View attachment 99669
And also to share: the last SPECIAL of the year, which really had to be a very special SPECIAL. World's nicest, most beautiful, top comfortable and highest quality berets at less than 3/4 of the standard retail price (until 1 January or as long as stock lasts).

That is so cute, it cheered me right up. Thanks for posting <3

Humanfactor

Familiar Face
Hello everyone,
I am coming out of the "béret closest" to say hello. For some unexpected reason (I'm still trying to decipher) I have suddenly become obsessed with bérets and this Forum and The Béret Project blog has been feeding the fire. What is it about the béret that is so alluring? I think unlike any other piece of clothing we wear the béret possesses other intrinsic attributes; history, culture, workmanship, and fashion. This Forum and you gentlemen seem to celebrate it all.

Please forgive my familiarity but I do feel I know many of you as I have read through many of these postings. I actually do know Daan as I recently have bought several bérets from our resident béret curator. Nico, I first noticed a photo of you on Ron Greer's website and thought this man looks great in a beret and everytime you post your "béret of the day" photo I still think the same. Philipe (if that is your real name :) I really believe you are Russell Crowe, I think I still do. Just remember not to wash your bérets! Michael A, I have to say you do justice to all your bérets, but you rock those leather jackets. And lastly, Foamy, I think you have the best handle of any Forum. :)

A bit about myself. I am originally from Montreal and now live in "The People's Republic of Cambridge" Massachusetts, USA. I started wearing a béret when I was in University. I did because of wanting to honor my father's WWII experience with the 6th British Airborne (maroon béret). He actually still had his béret which I thought was very small at the time. Then years passed sans béret. I think I got the béret bug at the start of this winter. I really didn't like wearing woolen caps or baseball hats, I figured our heads are an important piece of "real estate" and should be better treated. I thought about the béret again, and as I searched I started getting into this obsession. I now need a secret "slush" fund to hide my purchases from my CFO (aka wife).
I have attached a few images. One is of my late father, who when he returned to Canada after the war was in an advertisement for returning veterans to use their GI Educational benefits (with béret) and one of myself with a Manufacture de Bérets (aka BA) P10 Brown. I like the 10 Pounce size but am tempted to get the next size up 10.5P.

Ok Gentlemen, I wish you all a great 2018.

Cheers
- Michael (aka Humanfactor)

upload_2018-1-13_14-45-11.png
upload_2018-1-13_14-47-6.png

RJR

Hello everyone,
I am coming out of the "béret closest" to say hello. For some unexpected reason (I'm still trying to decipher) I have suddenly become obsessed with bérets and this Forum and The Béret Project blog has been feeding the fire. What is it about the béret that is so alluring? I think unlike any other piece of clothing we wear the béret possesses other intrinsic attributes; history, culture, workmanship, and fashion. This Forum and you gentlemen seem to celebrate it all.

Please forgive my familiarity but I do feel I know many of you as I have read through many of these postings. I actually do know Daan as I recently have bought several bérets from our resident béret curator. Nico, I first noticed a photo of you on Ron Greer's website and thought this man looks great in a beret and everytime you post your "béret of the day" photo I still think the same. Philipe (if that is your real name :) I really believe you are Russell Crowe, I think I still do. Just remember not to wash your bérets! Michael A, I have to say you do justice to all your bérets, but you rock those leather jackets. And lastly, Foamy, I think you have the best handle of any Forum. :)

A bit about myself. I am originally from Montreal and now live in "The People's Republic of Cambridge" Massachusetts, USA. I started wearing a béret when I was in University. I did because of wanting to honor my father's WWII experience with the 6th British Airborne (maroon béret). He actually still had his béret which I thought was very small at the time. Then years passed sans béret. I think I got the béret bug at the start of this winter. I really didn't like wearing woolen caps or baseball hats, I figured our heads are an important piece of "real estate" and should be better treated. I thought about the béret again, and as I searched I started getting into this obsession. I now need a secret "slush" fund to hide my purchases from my CFO (aka wife).
I have attached a few images. One is of my late father, who when he returned to Canada after the war was in an advertisement for returning veterans to use their GI Educational benefits (with béret) and one of myself with a Manufacture de Bérets (aka BA) P10 Brown. I like the 10 Pounce size but am tempted to get the next size up 10.5P.

Cheers

View attachment 102079 View attachment 102080
Welcome.

Nico

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone,

Cheers

View attachment 102079 View attachment 102080

Hi Michael.
Welcome and all the best for 1018.
Obsession? Well yes , just go with it. ;)

Nico

One of the Regulars
For you gentlemen "Down Under" what are the type of bérets you wear during your summer months? Do you find the merino wool still comfortable in the warmer weather?

Australia is a big country, temperature and humidity differ considerably.
Personally, I wear a beret every day but once it gets above 30 degrees celsius / 86F I wear a cotton broad rim hat.

My choice of berets in summer. At work my Super Lujo. Out and about usually one of my lightweight berets like a Les Heritage.

Last edited:

Humanfactor

Familiar Face
Nico, I like your dedication! We get extremes at both ends of the temperature spectrum here in the Northeast US. Last week we were -20C and in the summer we can get a heat wave with temps near 37C. I think my favorite merino wool béret weather is from 2C to 26C. I look forward to every opportunity to wear mine. I might be springing for another BA this time in Black (I have Brown and French Khaki) in 10.5p Cheers!

Nico

One of the Regulars
Nico, I like your dedication! We get extremes at both ends of the temperature spectrum here in the Northeast US. Last week we were -20C and in the summer we can get a heat wave with temps near 37C. I think my favorite merino wool béret weather is from 2C to 26C. I look forward to every opportunity to wear mine. I might be springing for another BA this time in Black (I have Brown and French Khaki) in 10.5p Cheers!

Michael,
No doubt the BA's are top notch. My go to berets during the cooler months. ;)

Cheers
N

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner