Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best beauty decision you've made?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Hey there Miss G,

Good for you! One of my girl-friends had four veneers on her top teeth too and she said it changed her life! I don't think i had ever seen her teeth before and her smile used to be more of a grimace!

I splashed out and bought some Bobbi Brown shimmerbricks, while i wouldn't say it was the best beauty decision i have made, about three people today remarked on how well and glowy my skin was looking. So definately the best beauty decision i have made this year. Being a mid olive toned skin type, i tend to look very sallow in the winter and just a light dusting of this over my normal face powder made my skin look really pretty.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Hey there Miss G,

Good for you! One of my girl-friends had four veneers on her top teeth too and she said it changed her life! I don't think i had ever seen her teeth before and her smile used to be more of a grimace!

I splashed out and bought some Bobbi Brown shimmerbricks, while i wouldn't say it was the best beauty decision i have made, about three people today remarked on how well and glowy my skin was looking. So definately the best beauty decision i have made this year. Being a mid olive toned skin type, i tend to look very sallow in the winter and just a light dusting of this over my normal face powder made my skin look really pretty.

Hey Miss Sofia! Thank you! Yes - it was the best thing I ever did - I've always been the type to look at people's teeth (I remember looking at Marilyn Monroe's teeth and thinking how perfect they were and how I would love the same!) and mine always bothered me. I mean they weren't completely awful (not like the episode of The Simpsons where Lisa has to get braces!) but one of my eye teeth never came down when the milk tooth fell out so my other teeth came down and closed in the gap - no one ever noticed I was missing a tooth but as a result there was a small gap in my front teeth and my other eye tooth was slightly crooked. After getting them done there was a LOT of sensitivity whilst I wore the temp veneers (smack in the middle of a freeezing Winter) - I was in a lot of pain and had to take some pain relief for the three weeks but once the permanents went on they were perfect.

I would really, really recommend them - they are so worth it!

I've heard great things about the BB Shimmer bricks - might be worth a look for the impending fine weather!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Miss G,

I have heard they can be really sensitive. I'm glad you're happy with them now though. My friend was always tooth- spotting too, i used to feel like a prize heifer or something as she was always asking to look at my teeth! Not that mine are great or anything particularly, but she had wonky incisors, a bit like Kirsten Dunsts, but worse if that makes sense.

Yes the Bobbi Brown bricks are great, they do lots of colours, i got the bronze, and it's not at all glittery or orange. I hardly ever use bronzer, as i like to be as pale as possible, but this just gave me a nice glow and worked well with my olive skin. They make great eyeshadows too. I will definately use them for that in the summer as again, they have a slight shimmer to them, which will look great i think. And they are handmade in Italy which i like the idea of!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
good for you Miss G! The best thing I ever did was to get my teeth fixed too! But I went the long and painful route of having braces for 2,5 years! They only came off last summer. My teeth are super sensitive since the braces came off though, I have to brush them in lukewarm water or it's really painful! :(

the other thing I'm happy about is something I didn't do! When I was in my teens I was very close to getting various piercings on my face and now in hindsight I'm quite happy that I was such a good girl and didn't do it because my mum forbade me to! I'm all for piercings on other people, I just don't think they would have suited me so I'm glad I don't have the holes or scars today...

oh, and I had a big sticky-out mole on my top lip, right in the middle of my cupid's bow! I had it removed about 5 years ago and probably look more normal for it! :D

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
IMG_1911BW.jpg

Marrying this woman. People look at me and think "what am I not seeing about him."
Tom D.

Last edited:

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
My best decision definately was to hug the inner girl in me that loves to dress up and wear make up. I didn´t feel bad or unattactive before but I was quite far from any fashion because I didn´t want to be like all the girly girls that run after every new fashion hype, no matter how shitty it looks. I´d say that vintage saved my inner girl :)

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
These have been so fun to read. I love to hear that red lipstick, well-groomed eye brows, healthy eating and all the other things!

For me, I think losing weight through exercise, finding a good moisturizer, filling in my eye brows, wearing red lipstick, buying hot rollers (which lead to pin curls) and embracing the vintage fashion I love so much have all been my favorite beauty decisions.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
good for you Miss G! The best thing I ever did was to get my teeth fixed too! But I went the long and painful route of having braces for 2,5 years! They only came off last summer. My teeth are super sensitive since the braces came off though, I have to brush them in lukewarm water or it's really painful! :(

Braces are a tough thing to have to deal with - so good on you for getting them done - a friend of mine went through agony with his but in the end his teeth were perfect (I was sooooo envious!) - they must have hurt when you had to get them tightened? Did the dentist say if the sensitivity will fade over time? I really hope so - it's so incredibly painful - particularly in colder weather.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Miss Golightly, yeah they certainly aren't nice! But I got so used to them in the end that it didn't bother me at all, I didn't have much pain from them except the very first week which was agony! I don't know about the sensitivity, I have to go to my dentist and ask them about it, I just haven't got round to it... it's only when I brush my teeth and never otherwise, weird I know!

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
This isn't really a decision but I really love my eyebrows. I never have to shape them - I only need to tackle an odd rebel hair maybe once a month.

My other best beauty decision is letting go of what I think others will think of me and just doing what feels best for me - because at the end of the day, it's my happiness that matters, not some stranger's. I used to be very self-conscious when I dressed up differently, but now I realize that if anyone even notices, it's probably admiration.

Wow, that sounds vain & petty! But you know what I mean, right?

zombi

A-List Customer
My best beauty decision was starting on the road to eating disorder recovery :)

Otherwise, washing my face with Pond's instead of everything else under the sun has worked wonders!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I posted earlier when this thread was first started, but since another decision was made. Just before Christmas I went and had my hair chopped off to shoulder level (before it was about mid-shoulder level, and relatively unmanageable, so much so that I would just pull it into a ponytail most of the time and have done with it). I took in a pic of Jean Arthur and a middy cut diagram and said "Here, I want this." He managed to pull off a pretty reasonable facsimile. Anyway, I've never had so many compliments on my hair! It's easy to maintain, wash and 30 min blow-dry once or twice a week and that's it, and even when it goes ker -poof (like during a recent speedboat tour of the LA bayous, at the windy and river-sprayed end of the boat in max humidity, or during heavy cardio sessions) it goes into a Clara Bow kind of ker -poof, which is pretty in itself (before it would go more Roseanna Roseannadanna!) Finally, after decades, my hair and I have become friends!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Starting to truly take care of my skin properly at age 40. Just wish I'd thought of doing it when I was younger.

Getting healthy and fit, and coming to a place of accepting my body in my 40s.

MissMeraRose

New in Town
I am literally eyebrow obsessed. I'd pluck daily and I had even taught myself how to pluck with my fingers (good ol' trichotillomania :/)
But I've managed to stop myself from that horrible habit, and my eyebrows have never looked better! :)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to say, in previous couple of month, best thing I did (beauty wise) is: using BABY SOAP for my bathing. No more creamy, dreamy, forest smelling, strawberry explosive, granulated (and whatnot) shower gadgets.
Just one bar of baby soap. It helps my skin more than all other thing combined. :)

lareine

A-List Customer
Recently, my best beauty decision has been to switch to Shellac for my nails. No more chipped manicures, ever! I can do my nails at home with a UV lamp and the polish stays on until I take it off or it grows out. My nails are in great shape now and healthier than they have been in years (probably because I am not using nail polish remover every couple of days), and they always look great.

Isis

One of the Regulars
Recently, my best beauty decision has been to switch to Shellac for my nails. No more chipped manicures, ever! I can do my nails at home with a UV lamp and the polish stays on until I take it off or it grows out. My nails are in great shape now and healthier than they have been in years (probably because I am not using nail polish remover every couple of days), and they always look great.

It does seem like a perfect solution. I'm very tempted to try it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy