Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso Mfg - Official Affiliate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyfalzon

Vendor
Just received the samples and all I can say is WOW! The character, colour and feel.... really great. If the jacket received has the character and feel of these samples, then...
Andy, thanks for the full inclusion of lining and thread also.
I just wish your VHH was available now, how long are we looking at until it will be available to order?
The Baladassi is beautiful, are these jackets the same price as the VHH ones?
I could hardly tell the diff between that and the HH... but I think I am a stickler for the HH.

There is further delay with the Victory horses. Possibly another 3-4 weeks.
The jackets made with Badalassi hides are eur 40 cheaper than the Victory horse.

andyfalzon

Vendor
Here is our Aeronaut (buttons version) in russet capeskin under construction.

PA010928.jpg

PA010929.jpg

PA010930.jpg

PA010933.jpg

PA010936.jpg

Will post some more photos when completed.

Brettafett

One Too Many
This may come as a silly question, but I realize how little I know about these leathers. Once I learnt WW2 A-2s were made primarily of Horse, I have since just always gone for HH.
Why would someone choose Cow/ Steer/ Baladassi over HH for a jacket?
Is there any major differences between cow and steer???
I assume both hides are strong and would wear and age equally well over time... ?

Lastly, Andy, tell us about your Perry 1756? Are you creating from an original? When can we see a pic?
This is a great addition to your catalogue. The Few make/ made a great looking example. The only other offering from a European manufacturer looks way off.

andyfalzon

Vendor
Thanks for your question. First of all, it has been proven by DNA testing that ELC had made that many WWII A-2 jackets were made with cowhide. Depending on the leathers and tanning method used, sometimes the two are indistinguishable. The durability of both hides is practically the same. How they will wear and age does not depend on the leathers. It depends on the tanning method used.

One difference between steer and cow is that supposedly, cow hides have more marks than steer because cows live longer. The other difference is a secret which I can tell you only if you contact me privately.

We have patterns for Perry 1756 and a 16175. Both taken from original. They will be released later.

Brettafett

One Too Many
The durability of both hides is practically the same. How they will wear and age does not depend on the leathers. It depends on the tanning method used.
So, forgive the ignorance... again. Can you comment on the durability between the hides you offer? ie the VHH and the Baladassi cow.

One difference between steer and cow is that supposedly, cow hides have more marks than steer because cows live longer. The other difference is a secret which I can tell you only if you contact me privately.
OK, have sent you an email ;) Also, by this reasoning, the Cow may seem more desirable, more marks and creases look better... yes?
In fact, this was what I was commenting on earlier about the samples I received. The Baldalssi has some great character, it almost looks the same as the VHH... not exactly, but its the best looking Cow/ Steer I have seen, as far as character and grain go.

ps I have to ask... Badalassi is the name of the Tannery? The samples you sent were VHH and Cow hide?

We have patterns for Perry 1756 and a 16175. Both taken from original. They will be released later.
Looking forward to those. The Monarch pics, I assume are Seal VHH from the last batch?

Last edited:

andyfalzon

Vendor
So, forgive the ignorance... again. Can you comment on the durability between the hides you offer? ie the VHH and the Baladassi cow.

As you can tell by the samples the horse hide is not stiff like cardboard but soft and pliable because the tanning used is meant for quality. This gives the impression that it is less durable, but I don't think so. The Badalassi is a heavier hide and appears to have denser fiber structure. It seems to be tougher.

OK, have sent you an email Also, by this reasoning, the Cow may seem more desirable, more marks and creases look better... yes?

No, these marks refer to things that cannot be used like holes, scratches bug bites etc.

In fact, this was what I was commenting on earlier about the samples I received. The Baldalssi has some great character, it almost looks the same as the VHH... not exactly, but its the best looking Cow/ Steer I have seen, as far as character and grain go.

It's great to hear that you like the look of our Badalassi full grain hide. The vegetable tanning process they use results in a really wonderful looking leather. Badalassi is the name of the owner of the tannery.

The Monarch pics, I assume are Seal VHH from the last batch?

You are correct.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Just received some leather samples from BK and they are spectacular! My job of choosing a hide for my next jacket just got a lot harder!

Brettafett

One Too Many
From a few days ago;
I don't think this Arco is Badalassi, looks more like the Antq VHH... Trying to visualize compared to the samples I received.
If this jacket is in fact Antq VHH, mid brown knits and mid brown thread, Espresso lining...
I may be wrong, but I am under the impression that some of the Badalassi is not yet available...

andyfalzon

Vendor
The ARCO 16160 is made with Victory Horsehide Seal Brown. From the original batch which was lighter in color than the last seal batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou