Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
One more image
4r9pp5.jpg

I like the Dark Moss in your picture. But that is after the light hits it, IRL it is a bit too dark for me......That is why I asked Bob for a custom dye job.. After I take pics of mine (when I get it) it will probably look too light in the pictures...... LOL

The Goldfinch is a great looking hat, I know i love mine.....

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The new hat from Bob at Black Sheep arrived today - my first Black Sheep hat.

The proportions are similar to the famous Casablanca hat and the ribbon treatment from my green Mallory - currently en-route over the Atlantic to Scotland.

The felt was custom dyed by Bob to get the nice light grey colour and the ribbon is his Dusty Peach. Everything is finished really nicely and the ostrich leather sweatband is a really cool touch.

D314253-L.jpg

D314256-L.jpg

D314259-L.jpg

D314262-L.jpg

Now my wife doesn't think the ribbon colour works for me and wants to change it to dark grey or black

D314263-L.jpg

I think it's cool but, as she points out, I have no sense of style whatsoever. What do you guys think?

K-E

New in Town
Great hat and really appealing features. The double button treatment on the peach ribbon is nice. It brings out the richness of that shade of felt, which I know you carefully considered.

I've been following this thread, and think I'll make a call next week. Your features give some good ideas, so thanks.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

The proportions are similar to the famous Casablanca hat and the ribbon treatment from my green Mallory - currently en-route over the Atlantic to Scotland.

The felt was custom dyed by Bob to get the nice light grey colour and the ribbon is his Dusty Peach. Everything is finished really nicely and the ostrich leather sweatband is a really cool touch.

Now my wife doesn't think the ribbon colour works for me and wants to change it to dark grey or black

I think it's cool but, as she points out, I have no sense of style whatsoever. What do you guys think?

David; While your wife may point out that you have a different sense of style. I percieve that your style is of a mix of classic and bold. This particular hat, is truly class, IMO. The treatment is cool, the color whilst bold, really says I am comfortable with my style. Nothing is wrong with having confidence in your choices. That is a style. Your style. Perhaps you really are on the cusp of being the trend setter. Even if my statement is a bit far-fetched, I propose that you enjoy your choices in style. This is by no means outlandish or even on the side of "odd."

Style stands out as a bad thing when it affronts the eye and senses, this hat does not. IMO, love the hat = wear the hat. I would check with your daughter, as she may be young enough to not yet feel the weight of social expectations or social conciousness. Hence she can offer a different perspective. I deal with teen girls everyday in gymnastics and consult them when I need the un-weighted opinions needed by a "oldster short balding guy."

I like the color and give a nod to you for being and acting out on your bold intuition. In fact I like the hat and the button treatment I have gandered a many time over in the Art Fawcett thread of an earlier hat featured by a poster.

Loving dusty peach and comfortable knowing that I am not normal, Eric -

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I think your wife has a point. I'd go black, too. The peach ribbon, in my opinion, would work better in a panama or milan.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I think your wife has a point. I'd go black, too. The peach ribbon, in my opinion, would work better in a panama or milan.

I agree.

zzz1u.png

On the other hand, it's not your ONLY gray hat, David, is it? :D
In defense of David's point:

[Visualize Groucho singing and dancing, making a fool of everyone and having fun doing it.]

[Groucho]
I don't know what they have to say,
It makes no difference anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
No matter what it is or who commenced it,
I'm against it.

Your proposition may be good,
But let's have one thing understood,
And even when you've changed it or condensed it,
I'm against it.

I'm opposed to it,
On general principle, I'm opposed to it.

[chorus] He's opposed to it.
In fact, indeed, that he's opposed to it!

[Groucho]
For months before my son was born,
I used to yell from night to morn,
And I've kept yelling since I first commenced it,
I'm against it!

tealseal

A-List Customer

D314253-L.jpg

D314256-L.jpg

D314259-L.jpg

D314262-L.jpg

D314263-L.jpg

I love it. Very striking. It certainly lives up to the BSHW motto of "Stand out from the flock." If you're comfortable wearing it, then I'd say keep it. However, nothing worse that feeling self-conscious in a fine, hand-dyed, custom hat!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
BEAUTIFUL hat!!! I love it!

But does it come with the alternating ribbons? I see what looks like one hat, but two different color ribbons.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I like the peach as it is different but how does it stack up with your wardrobe?

Will the colors match or contrast in a pleasing manner....

But the most important is will you have your wife chirping in your ear if you keep the it???

Remember a Happy Wife is a Happy Life....LOL

Love the ostrich sweatband........

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I like the peach, it makes a very nice Springy Summery look. Worn with a peach background Aloha shirt would be striking!

I bet that it would be a stand out with a blue blazer, french blue shirt and a tie with some peach color. Peach with the navy! Come to think of it, summer green, light gray blazers - peach works for me. Summer poplins with sport shirts on the deck sipping cool beverages- yes.

I imagine lots of uses. Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I like the peach, it makes a very nice Springy Summery look. Worn with a peach background Aloha shirt would be striking!

I bet that it would be a stand out with a blue blazer, french blue shirt and a tie with some peach color. Peach with the navy! Come to think of it, summer green, light gray blazers - peach works for me. Summer poplins with sport shirts on the deck sipping cool beverages- yes. I reconginze that the felt color has shades of gray, but we all imagine instances that it coordinates with blues and even greens. Coordination with wardrobe is for the wearer. Do not break the basic warm/cool & basic wardrobe color chart rules and you will be good.

I imagine lots of uses.

I better tune out of this discussion on style. I get style comments from my wife and the gymnasts all the time. I like my style, but do bend and sway to the voices of those influences.

Re-considering my advise and sitting back to listen to the sage wisdom to come. Best,Eric -

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

You can get a Gray and Black Fed IV, but you can't get a Fed IV with a really cool looking peach ribbon. The hat reminds me of the Roughrider hat I have in Bone felt with a copper ribbon. I wear it in the early spring and late summer, when it's cool enough for felt, but still warn out. PERSONALLY, I like it and if the brim were larger I'd wear it. I'd check the local high end department stores and buy a matching tie, or at least as close as you can get. Blue or Gray blazer, light blue shirt, khaki pants, matching tie and the hat would look really good. Scotch guard the tie before you eat spaghetti though.

Just my $0.04, my opinions are getting better...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24