Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

Just catching up. David, I think the ribbon design is very handsome and the ribbon color is a little nuts. I'd love to see this hat with a closely matched light gray ribbon.

I bet Ale could help you fine tune the hue on that.

It looks like a very nicely made hat. How does the forehead look when the ostrich band comes off?

cheers,
Alan

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks so much for all the great comments guys.

One thing that is for sure is that Bob makes a really high quality hat.

Rabbit - you are right, I do have one or two other grey hats so I can afford for one to be a little extreme.

Ale - I agree that this ribbon would work really well on a high quality straw hat

Ed - If you ever invite me to drink Mint Juleps with you in Louisville, I think this would be the perfect headwear for the occasion. Actually, now I think of it, I've only ever had one Mint Julep, and I was indeed in Louisville at the time.

Blackthorn - nope; not interchangeable ribbons. The black one is a ribbon I removed from an old hat that I just draped around this one.

Alan - I was wondering if my forehead would look moth-eaten after wearing the hat for a while, but I haven't noticed any problem so far.

Art - thanks for the comment on the ribbon. Bob does do very nice work. Have you checked out his ladies hats? Some of his designs are amazing!

One thing I noticed on Bob's site is that he says he has calmed the Peach down by bleaching it. I'll have to ask him what he did and maybe try the same thing. This is what his looked like:

smugshot8552368-M.jpg

I think I'll try and re-create it.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
David any time our in town I can get you personal tour of the downs. :) my parents do the tours of the track. They both grew up blocks from the track. As a kid I use to ride my bike around the track when I visited my grandparents:).

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Been quite a few years since I was there, Ed. Last time I was working on some projects at some of the whiskey companies which was interesting.

job

One Too Many
David I think your new hat is beautiful. If it goes well with your style of dress than thats what really matters most. A great hat that goes with nothing you wear and sits in a box is a waste of space and money. The great thing is at most you change the ribbon.

coble

A-List Customer
Thanks so much for all the great comments guys.

One thing that is for sure is that Bob makes a really high quality hat.

Rabbit - you are right, I do have one or two other grey hats so I can afford for one to be a little extreme.

Ale - I agree that this ribbon would work really well on a high quality straw hat

Ed - If you ever invite me to drink Mint Juleps with you in Louisville, I think this would be the perfect headwear for the occasion. Actually, now I think of it, I've only ever had one Mint Julep, and I was indeed in Louisville at the time.

Blackthorn - nope; not interchangeable ribbons. The black one is a ribbon I removed from an old hat that I just draped around this one.

Alan - I was wondering if my forehead would look moth-eaten after wearing the hat for a while, but I haven't noticed any problem so far.

Art - thanks for the comment on the ribbon. Bob does do very nice work. Have you checked out his ladies hats? Some of his designs are amazing!

One thing I noticed on Bob's site is that he says he has calmed the Peach down by bleaching it. I'll have to ask him what he did and maybe try the same thing. This is what his looked like:

smugshot8552368-M.jpg

I think I'll try and re-create it.

bob and i discussed this color on one of my next hats from him. If you go to his facebook page, or his website he has a steel gray. We decided this ribbon and the design we have for the hat would look great. I think bob did excellent on your hat, looks fresh and cool in tone, i like it. ribbon work is great as well, i agree with Art in what he said.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I like it, David! It might be just the thing when the weather warms up and you're lounging by the beach! :cool:
I have always admired Bob's work since I've heard of him.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Jeff. I'm thinking I'll keep the hat as it is - unless I can easily tone the orange down a little.

I've always liked Bob's work as well. What made me go for this one was that he can dye the felt to suit what you want - break free of the Winchester felt list.

navarre

Vendor
Holy Smokes! I didn't think this hat would spark such a conversation. Thanks for such kind words everybody!

I think the credit surely belongs to David for having an awesome idea. Orders like this one are what makes me love my job.

As for the ribbon, my vote would obviously be to keep it, but then again I might be a little biased.
I have had interesting results with this ribbon and bleaching. I'll shoot you an email that is more in depth on that David.
Should you decide to change it in any way, I am sure you know that I am happy to do it. I agree with the above statement, a hat that doesn't leave its box isn't worth owning. I want you have a hat you're happy to wear.

And to Mr. Fawcett, thank you kindly for the kudos. Although we have neither met nor spoken before, you are someone I hold in high regard and so your compliment is particularly nice to receive. Thank you Sir.

CPT/VSG

Familiar Face
After my initial foray into fedoras with four new production Borsalinos and three new production Stetsons, I've gotten enough of a sense of what I like to jump into the custom market. After studying all the custom hatters discussed on this board, Black Sheep Hat Works best represented my sense of style. So I've talked to Bob and ordered a Goldfinch, as shown on his web site. Not an original creation of mine, I know, but I really like the pecan felt--not close to any color I have-and the espresso ribbon. Given that I've not handled any custom hats--or good vintage for that matter--I'm looking forward to seeing the differences in Bob's work once I receive it this summer. As the others noted, Bob was quick to respond to my email and was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. My prediction is that this is the first of several I'll order from him.

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Here is my latest from Bob at Black Sheep....

I wanted a subtle green felt for this one and as you all know Bob is the best at dyeing the felt and ribbons.. His hats are truly a one of a kind when he dyes them........

I have tried my best to capture the true color but it is difficult even in natural light...

This is the best I can do as I am not a professional photographer by any means...

1hs8s9.jpg

21dofm0.jpg

28wmetx.jpg

If want to break the bonds of Winchester felt may I suggest a Black Sheep to join your flock of fedora's.....

Bob's meticulous attention to detail and customer service is unbelievable...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Love the ribbon on that one! Yes, Bob's hand dyed felts are a great option. I'm ruminating over what my next hat will be, but I simply can't decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24