Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bobby helmets

I just repatriated this helmet to South Wales this afternoon. I thought I would share a few pictures I took of it before it left my hands. Perhaps someone here knows far more about it than I do.
th_bobby-pin.jpg

The pin or plate on the helmet

th_bobby-front-view.jpg

The front view of the helmet.

From what I know, it is a bobby helmet worn by bobbys in Boston Borough Council in the 1920s. That area was a small area and at its height it only had 35 bobbys for that area. At the time this was worn, there were probably only about 20 Bobbys on the streets there.
After the Second world war, many small forces were seen as being inefficient to deal with the future and the government forced amalgamations of the small town / borough forces. Boston Borough was forced to amalgamate into the Lincolnshire Constabulary in 1947.
It is likely a fairly scarce helmet and how it got out to me in California Many years ago is probably quite a story. Now it will sit in a constabulary museum where it belongs. I am kind of happy I found a good home for it where it will be cared for and restored. :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The bobby's helment (the "Custodian" helmet, as it's properly called) was introduced in the 1860s to provide an alternative to the top-hat, which was worn by police-officers to protect the head.

Are modern custodian helmets still designed to offer protection to the head? Or are they more 'ceremonial' protection, like jewelled daggers? They look pretty and effective but fall flat when you use them. What are modern bobbys' helmets made of?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner