Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Body Shape Questions

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I apologize in advance if this is being covered elsewhere but I couldn't seem to find anything about it.

Why don't we discuss body shape issues... Everyone single one of us has a body issue we don't like. So what do we all do about it?

Me? I have two separate bodies... Little on top... big on bottom. I'd like to rock a Rosie/factory girl look but I'm not sure how I'd look in overalls or even high-waisted slacks and skirts for that matter. Anybody with this body type have some suggestions? How about you girls with other body types? What has you stumped?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure you'd look great in high waisted slacks. They are pretty slimming and do a lot to lengthen the appearance of the lower body.

If you're large below the waist, you may also want to consider 50s styles with fuller skirts.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I'm a pear too, I think high-waisted things look great on me - I have a long body compared to my legs, so it evens me out a little, and draws the attention to how small my waist is, rather than how large my hips are! I'd definitely recommend a high-waisted look. x

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My body issue is big breasts. I make blouses a little longer so they don't "ride up." I also end up adding just a bit more to the bust area. 36D :(

I also dislike my hips. I'm a textbook hourglass! My waist is tiny compared to the two. High-waisted pants DO accentuate the waist and not the hips ;) In my opinon, I think 50s style skirts make my hips look huge. Circle skirts and pencil skirts.

SayCici

Practically Family
30s-50s fashion gives you many opportunities to balance out a pear shape. Make sure there is good fit in your waist and put some attention up top - interesting neckline or collar, puffy sleeves or 40s shoulder pads.

December

One of the Regulars
Amy Jeanne said:
My body issue is big breasts.
I'm a textbook hourglass! My waist is tiny compared to the two.

I'm exactly the same.

My figure hovers around 42 (36F)-30-42, so you can imagine how difficult it is to find clothes that fit my hips AND my waist AND my bust.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Ah, December, how I feel your pain! Those are my measurements, too. And can I just say how much I hate low rise pants? The last dress I bought was a '60s style Calvin Klein cocktail dress with pleats above and below the waist. It fit, but the pleats weren't very "pleat-y," and the waist was a little loose. I very rarely buy dresses anymore, so much more satisfying and flattering to just make my own. And, like every one else has said, drawing the eye to the waist is the best tactic for me.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
38A up top, and a middle-age belly. Not nice proportions at all. And big feet besides.

I tend to wear dresses with simple, tailored lines and gored skirts. Never anything tight, low-waisted, or low-cut. And I know everything there is to know about vintage falsies.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I think everyone with little breasts dream fondly of bigger ones... but it's a lot like curly hair vs straight hair... both have their ups and downs. I'm finally getting to like my little girls... (My husband thinks they're cute ;) I wish I could fill out those bombshell dresses but as some of you have said there are plenty of things you won't fit into. I do envy you the knock-em-over cleavage though :D

Thanks for the advice on the highwaisted pants... it's a relief to know they're within reach and should look good before I buy. I've always really liked that look...

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
38A up top, and a middle-age belly. Not nice proportions at all. And big feet besides.

I tend to wear dresses with simple, tailored lines and gored skirts. Never anything tight, low-waisted, or low-cut. And I know everything there is to know about vintage falsies.

Why oh why are there NO 38A bras in the stores? 36 works ok for me but I'm thinking I'd like to try 38 just see if it fits better.... I tried Victoria's Secrets method for measuring once and it put me in a 38C... Hmmm. Literally in my dreams.

We must talk sometime about vintage falsies... they sound amusing! And what does "gored" mean? I've looked up some skirts and they all seem to be cut on the bias or is it because they all are made up of vertical panels... or am I way off?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
High waist pants are awesome. If youre small up top, you might consider blouses with pintucks or pleats. Those tend to fill the top out a lot.

Im a plus size hourglass and Im cool with it. I dont know, Im just so over hating my body at this stage in my life. I recently made a duct tape dress form and seeing my body shape outside of my own body helped my perspective a lot. I dont look that bad :)

It is a challenge fitting the waist to hip thing. Most of my skirt waists are at least 1-2" too large. When I look a t the pattern piece, I dont trust the drastic incline and I always think it will be off, so I add to the top and...

But if thats my biggest problem, I can live with that. :eek: Im just happy I know my strengths and weaknesses.

LD

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Im a plus size hourglass and Im cool with it. I dont know, Im just so over hating my body at this stage in my life.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I've had a few friends on facebook post old school photos & the thing that surprises me is that all my childhood & teenage years I used to think of myself as "the fat one". Now I look at those photos I realise I was just an average healthy girl. I can't believe I wasted all those years hating my body. Thank goodness I'm well & truly over that.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
I hear ya. I don't think 36D is big, I'm a 38inch bust (36B) and frankly I feel tiny. but then I have a big ribcage. :-(

Yeah, I'm a 34B (35" bust) and most often, dresses that fit in the waist and hips are too big up top.

That, or things that fit me are too narrow in the ribcage. My wide ribcage is the bane of my existence as far as my body image is concerned.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I find that blouses with puffy sleeve balance you top if you are pair shaped. I made a blouse with 3/4 leg o mutton sleeves and it is one of my favorite things ever.

My problem is that I also have a larger rear than I'd like ans some things that play down the hips don't look so good on the rear.:mad:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ZombieGirl said:
Why oh why are there NO 38A bras in the stores? 36 works ok for me but I'm thinking I'd like to try 38 just see if it fits better.... I tried Victoria's Secrets method for measuring once and it put me in a 38C... Hmmm. Literally in my dreams.

Same problem here. Most of the time I've had to either make do with 36A's that dig into my chest or wear a 38B with -- ah -- bust improvers added. Neither solution is especially pleasant, so I keep an eye out for vintage 38A's, which seem to be easier to find than modern ones.

You might also keep an eye out for the Playtex "Thank Goodness It Fits" line, sometimes found at better department stores. They have a lot of oddball sizes, and occasionally a 38A will show up.

ZombieGirl said:
We must talk sometime about vintage falsies... they sound amusing! And what does "gored" mean? I've looked up some skirts and they all seem to be cut on the bias or is it because they all are made up of vertical panels... or am I way off?

A gored skirt is pieced together from "gores," or triangular segments of fabric, and gives an A-lined shape, as opposed to a pencil skirt which tends to be made more like a cylinder shaped by pleats at the waist. Much more forgiving of a lumpy midriff.

As for vintage falsies, well, you'd be surprised how common they were in those pre-silicone days -- there isn't a 1940s Sears catalog that doesn't include a quarter-page of them. Most often they were plain molded cup-like shells of foam rubber, but sometimes they'd be embellished with lace. You can still find the foam rubber ones quite easily if you know where to look, and they'll usually last a couple years with reasonable care. I don't think anyone makes anything like the lace ones anymore, but a crafty person might be able to come up with a reasonable recreation.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
ZombieGirl said:
I apologize in advance if this is being covered elsewhere but I couldn't seem to find anything about it.

Why don't we discuss body shape issues... Everyone single one of us has a body issue we don't like. So what do we all do about it?

Me? I have two separate bodies... Little on top... big on bottom. I'd like to rock a Rosie/factory girl look but I'm not sure how I'd look in overalls or even high-waisted slacks and skirts for that matter. Anybody with this body type have some suggestions? How about you girls with other body types? What has you stumped?

Where do I begin? I'm in a class all my own where body type is concerned ;)
and as for what has me "stumped"? Well, I am also a below the knee amputee and wearer of prosthetic legs, 46 yrs now! We can all be amazing!, we ALL have the ability to put our best face forward and make the best of what we have! , the choice is ours! btw, my prosthetic legs are shaped like gorgeous gads and I am happiest, when wearing high heels lol (they are so realistic looking, that people cannot tell ;) )

For anyone seeing this, rarely do I post my full picture but am doing so because I want the op and you all to know that beauty comes from within.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
ShopGirl61 thank you so much for sharing the picture! I'm honored beyond words! It's always encouraging to meet people who have taken what should be considered a setback and turned it into a way to be truly uniquely you. You are a true example of beauty inside and out!

PS... Lovely dress!

And to Lizzie Maine, thanks for the bra tips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24