Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Body Shape Questions

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
The 36" bust mark comes from the measurement below the breast, same as with a bra.

And has anyone else been absolutely disgusted with clothes in the regular stores lately? Ugh! I bought a couple of pairs of jeans and some tops, but it took me several trips to find even that. Everything else is either masculine, too young, or just plain ugly. :mad:

December

One of the Regulars
FraeuleinBerlin said:
I'm 40-30-40 (36DD) and I wear an English size 14 (US10) BUT I've noticed that my size 14 clothes often say 36" bust... they fit me fine but I am definitely 40" round however I measure! I don't understand how that works, anyone here have an idea...?

Hmmm... I'm 42" bust and wear a UK 16/18. So it sounds like you'd definitely be a 14. It depends on the shop really, some places (like Topshop) are really tiny whereas others are more generous.

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
Yes, I'm a fourteen, but I meant that the measurements listed as a 'size fourteen' are not the same as my measurements! I was wondering mostly for buying things without a size, or with an old/foreign/old foreign size so I'd know where to measure for the best result.

The underbust thing makes SO much more sense, thank you Helysoune! I did wonder, but then how do I know if they will fit over my breasts??? You can be a 36A or D or...

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
You're welcome! I would just go with the "try it on and if it's not too tight you're good to go" test. :D I used to know what the different cup sizes are supposed to measure to, but I forget offhand. I'm a 40D and my actual across-the-bust measurement is 46, which makes me an 18/20. Though I find that a lot of new clothes seem to have quite a bit of ease, so much so that some things are comfortable in a 16.

D

Deleted member 12480

just been thinking about all you gals' advice and i think i'm actually accepting it.

thankyou lovelies

xxxx

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Helysoune said:
The 36" bust mark comes from the measurement below the breast, same as with a bra.

And has anyone else been absolutely disgusted with clothes in the regular stores lately? Ugh! I bought a couple of pairs of jeans and some tops, but it took me several trips to find even that. Everything else is either masculine, too young, or just plain ugly. :mad:

I was in need of some retail therapy a couple of days ago and went to one of the department stores around here - 2 floors of women's clothes, and I was just grossed out by 99% of it. Besides a decidedly evil whiff of '80's vibe, everything I saw seemed to be made with cheap and flimsy-looking material, often in foul colours and/or embellished with sequins/beads/shiny crap which just makes things look even cheaper. Nothing fitted or tailored. None of the trousers seem to be tailored for the female figure (i.e. waist smaller than hips), and the dresses/skirts are either too short or are those maxi-dresses which they're flogging this season. *yucky* Sooooo not me!

On the upside, later I found online the gorgeous Sadie blouse by Bettie Page, and on sale :D. The moral of the story is for me not to bother at all with regular shops, except for the most basic of things.

I think it's really easy to fall into the trap of thinking that you're the problem, that your body is the problem, but I am thoroughly convinced - especially looking around at how scruffy most people look - that it's what's out there that is the problem.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I've been reading along, and found this thread totally fascinating. I've got a pretty straight forward hour-glass shape, but way broad shoulders and back. I kinda love it, because I think it helps me wear clothes like a hanger =)

AnniePancakes, everyone's got a different boobage situation, and one of my best friends totally rocks the A-cup in all sorts of flattering ways. Best advice (typo'ed "bust advice" hehe) is to find someone to fit you for a bra that's perfect for you. Even if it doesn't add any actual volume (if you don't want padding - which is an acceptable choice!) you'll feel a lot better about what you have sitting where it should be.

Helysoune, I read your advice as "try it on and if it's too tight you're good to go" (without the NOT) - which would make for quite a bit of advice and likely a very colorful life!

Sizing in stores is one giant joke, and the one thing I hate more than anything is the 'disposable fashion' or 'fast fashion' trend! It's all going to end up in a landfill in a week because it falls apart and it's plastic. Particularly given that the fashion is so heavily retro (either 40s or 80s, etc) and there's plenty of second hand polyester left over from the first time - no need to make more folks, just go to the goodwill!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
bunnyb.gal said:
- 2 floors of women's clothes, and I was just grossed out by 99% of it. Besides a decidedly evil whiff of '80's vibe, everything I saw seemed to be made with cheap and flimsy-looking material,

Just a whiff? We've been smelling the 80s stench for quite some time now. I haven't bought RTW in about 3 years, and I dont miss 'the hunt'.

Dont get me wrong, Im still a girl. I love shopping, but Id rather shop for really great linen fabric and buttons than hoping a decent RTW is 1) cut for my body 2) does NOT have spandex in its fiber content -dont get me started on that- 3) isnt more than what I can make at home 4) works with my wardrobe.

Im not picky, Im practical.

LD

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this comment, but Lady Day, I find you completely inspiring. For years I've been buying and hoarding great natural fiber fabrics and reprinted and vintage inspired patterns, but I'm only just now starting to use them. Thanks for the motivation!

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
deleteduser said:
just been thinking about all you gals' advice and i think i'm actually accepting it.

thankyou lovelies

xxxx

Annie -

You have the face of an angel love!
and I find it most admirable that at such a tender age, you have appreciation for Vintage :eusa_clap I certainly hope your Mum and peers do too!

xx Sonia

D

Deleted member 12480

certainly my mother does, although my peers are far more into the 60s+ side of vintage mixed with Topshop. People who would be described as 'indie'

xx

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
My challenge: short legs, long torso. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and 6" between the bottom of my bra strap and my natural waist. It's virtually impossible to find dresses that fit, everything is an empire waist on me. The hips on wiggle dresses, which I'd love to wear, typically start at my waist, the waist on the dress hits at the middle of my rib cage. :(

Someday, I will learn to sew so I can make my own dresses. Needless to say for now, I wear a lot of separates. (And stretch all my cardigans when they come out of the wash so they don't look cropped.)

I also have a long neck...I used to think of myself as having giraffe neck, until I overheard my boyfriend at the time on the phone with his mother: "Mom, I can't wait for you to meet her. She's got a neck like Audrey Hepburn." Fantastic change in perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24