Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler hats with jeans and t-shirts

Phteven

New in Town
I was downtown today and tried on some bowlers. They had a couple different brands, but the style that appealed to me most was a rabbit fur felt bowler by Stefeno. They had black and brown. While the black was a little more formal, the brown bowler felt (and I think looked) really good. I liked the fit, and it seemed to me to be more casual than the black.

I don't know a lot about style, so I figured I'd ask the experts. Although, to be honest, if it weren't so close to Christmas, I would have bought it on the spot.

So, what say you? Bowlers with nice jeans, or is it too upscale for that?

Lorne

One of the Regulars
I'm a recent bowler wearer, but I can't see a bowler and jeans going together.

I wear my casual fedora with jeans and my better fedoras with a collared shirt without a tie. However, I only wear my bowler with my trench coat and a tie or scarf.

That's just me, but I'm always right.

How old are you, Phteven?

I ask because I could see a young guy pulling off the look you describe. Jeans, which once were almost exclusively workwear, are now paired with cashmere coats and diamond jewelry.

I'd have to see it before turning thumbs up or down, but I suspect I'd find it acceptable.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I wear my Derbies with almost anything, as they are a versatile hat. They work with jeans and T-shirts, khakis and polo shirts, or button-down shirts, or suits.

On a side note, historically the brown Derbies were more formal than black ones. Today, it doesn't matter, wear whatever Derby you want. :)

Brad

Phteven

New in Town
Well, I'd be happy to post pics but I didn't commit and buy it. As I said, it's too close to Christmas for a purchase like that.

I was wearing a half trench with jeans and a tshirt, so that's kind of what I have in mind for wearing it.

Historically, I don't doubt you when you say the brown derby was more formal, but to my eye it just felt better with a more casual look. We aren't very sophisticated in south king county. Known more for our flannel and beards than our sense of style. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Edward

Bartender
Yes, they were a workingman's hat back when, before they were swept up in the general flow of casual to formal that we see in menswear more generally. Check out how they're worn by Stan and Ollie across the whole of their cinematic catalogue. Very casual hat back when.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think a bowler works far better with casual garb than dressy in today's world.

Workhorse

New in Town
I agree, great look!!!

A friend of mine wears a bowler while at work as an engineer on a steam locomotive on the Cumbres and Toltect Scenic Railroad (cumbrestoltec.com). It works with his overalls and work wear very well.

CJLlamasPhotography-Oct-3-2006-%20171%20(2).jpg

http://grande.smittyshouse.net/ctsh...4/CJLlamasPhotography-Oct-3-2006- 162 (2).jpg

I like it!

Phteven

New in Town
That's all I needed, guys. Thanks fur the great pictures. I'll put it in my list. Hopefully I'll have pictures to post in the new year.

I like the look.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I find stiff felts draw less attention than large crown city dress soft felts. It's more about getting use to wearing one (I prefer the old light weight / flexible models). I wear mine with work casual dress all the time.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think the bowlers in the pictures in this thread work very well with the garb chosen by the wearers.

I've tried on bowlers but have never been terribly pleased with how they look on me. Maybe I just need to find the right style for my face and head.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorite looks. I promise usually it's a t shirt, not a polo. And I guess you'll have to take my word that I'm wearing jeans. ;) already too cold for the fingerless gloves here.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385364188013.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385364188013.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,338

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This thread reminds me of the Louis L'Amour book "The Iron Marshal", Tom Shanaghy wears one and he is the town Smithy. Good read, may be worth checking out for some inspiration.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21