Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boxing films

Feraud

Bartender
Does anyone else like boxing films?

My two current favorites are The Set-Up and The Harder They Fall.

In the first film Robert Ryan plays an over the hill boxer whose manager neglected to tell him he is supposed to take a dive. Ryan is fighting for his dignity and life.

Bogart plays a sports writer who is bought by a local gangster to promote a no talent fighter. Bogey wrestles with his dignity as he wrestles with the seedy side of the boxing game.
A fitting final performace from Bogey.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I caught "The Harder They Fall" the other night, too. Great flick.
One flick that I got a charge out of was Cagney' last movie, "Terrible Joe Moran". Not his greatest work, maybe, but still a great swan song. One cool thing, they use some shots of him boxing in one of his early movies to show him in his prime as a young man. Very clever.
Of course the best boxing flick ever has to be "Raging Bull". But I also loved "The Battling Bellhop", aka "Kid Galahad", from 1937, featuring a very young and attractive Bette Davis, as well as Edward G Robinson and Bogart.
And of course there was a series of Joe Palooka films.
LOTS of great boxing flicks, not to mention several great Twilight Zone episodes, and the famous Rod Serling made for TV film, "Requiem for a Heavyweight".
Oh, and let's not even get STARTED with Rocky!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
One of my favorites is Body and Soul with John Garfield. Garfield has to be one of the most under-rated actors of all time, virtually all but forgotten today. It's a shame his career was ruined from being black listed.

And don't forget Kirk Douglas in Champion.

Doug C

Practically Family
Raging Bull is one of my all time favorite films! DeNiro at his best. Very realistic, and OMG that Cathy Moriarity (Vicky) is one hot women, don't get me started. Champion is good too, Kirk Douglas ranks high on my list of favorite actors too. There was also a cool movie way back in the mid '80s called "Victory of the Spirit" with Willam DeFoe about a Jewish prisoner of war in Nazi Germany who had to box to live. I have to say though that most boxing sequences in movies look so fake it's no even funny.

Doug C

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I've been watching a LOT of boxing movies lately for a project we're developing. One of the best is the Anthony Quinn version of Requiem For A Heavyweight. He's great, Jackie Gleason is great, even Mickey Rooney shines and a wonderful script by Rod Serling. I'm working on getting the Playhouse 90 version with Jack Palance as well - see how it compares. Raging Bull, Rocky, Cinderella Man all good flicks too.

How would you folks react to a gritty boxing TV series? You know, on HBO, Showtime - definitely a cable piece. Something you might watch?

vintage68

Practically Family
"How would you folks react to a gritty boxing TV series? You know, on HBO, Showtime - definitely a cable piece. Something you might watch?"

+1 for me. I'd watch it. Would it be a period piece or modern?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
vintage68 said:
"How would you folks react to a gritty boxing TV series? You know, on HBO, Showtime - definitely a cable piece. Something you might watch?"

+1 for me. I'd watch it. Would it be a period piece or modern?
It would be contemporary, but stylized in a manner, and set in a place where time has kinda' stopped - the Rust Belt, so that it would have the feel of a period show.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i like that idea...i would definitely watch it...has anyone seen Paradise Alley with Sly Stallone? it was made shortly after Rocky...its about wrestling but set in the 40's in Hell's Kitchen...good flick if you like Stallone...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hard Times was a great film.
Bare-knuckle street fighting may not qualify as a boxing film,
but Charles Bronson's portrayal of a Depression-era drifter and occasional
brawler captured the essence of prizefighting.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Another good boxing film is "Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956) with Paul Newman. " ...great acting, great script, great boxing scenes and great location shooting in New York". I like boxing films from the 1950s for a strange reason [huh] .

sorry for the size i couldn't get it smaller

SalPaul.jpg

Woland

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
Hard Times was a great film.
Bare-knuckle street fighting may not qualify as a boxing film,
but Charles Bronson's portrayal of a Depression-era drifter and occasional
brawler captured the essence of prizefighting.

Indeed...
Although I must say that this film (IMO) captured the nature of fighting for a living.
Jack London would probably concur...

Bronson1.jpg

Bronson3.jpg

Bronson5.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Woland said:
Indeed...
Although I must say that this film (IMO) captured the nature of fighting for a living.
Jack London would probably concur...

I believe London would have been drawn more to Coburn's character.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
vintage68 said:
I enjoyed Cindarella Man with Russel Crowe. Nice period piece.

My favorite boxing flick. Not only because of the true story but also because it shows what it was to live during the great depression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner