Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boxing films

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Just watched The Wrestler with Mickey Rourke last night. This is the story of a pro wrestler grappling with being on the downside of his profession, fame, and life. Aronofsky brought realism and a respect to the subject and all of the characters in the film. This film reminded me in many ways of Fat City and The Champ.

The characters in The Wrestler remind me of some of the bodybuilders showcased in the fantastic documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster*.

Mickey Rourke also played a boxer in the movie Homeboy.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Martinis at 8 said:
BTW, the boxer I detest most is Roberto Duran, though I used to think he was the greatest when I was a kid. Until one day I saw him on a CCTV fight against Kenny Buchanan (a Scotsman). Duran hit Kenny right in the balls. Kenny could not recover. I was astounded when the judges gave the fight to Duran. It remains one of the most controversial fights in boxing history. Duran went down the toilet after that as far as I was concerned.

Sorry, I could talk boxing all day. Back to the movies.

No Mas, No Mas.

My favorites to watch were Alexis Arguello, Carlos Monzon, Aaron Pryor, Julio Caesar Chavez, Sugar Ray Leonard, Oscar De La Hoya and, sorry Martinis at 8, Roberto Duran. I'm not real big on heavyweights. I think the lower weights are much more interesting fights. I haven't been watching lately but I'd love to see a Mayweather/Mosely fight and a Pacquaio/Mayweather fight.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
NicknNora said:
I've seen it. It was good but I thought it could have been better.

Regarding Playhouse 90 version of 'Requiem for a Heavyweight':

Was this released on VHS or Laserdisc?

NH

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Nighthawk said:
Regarding Playhouse 90 version of 'Requiem for a Heavyweight':

Was this released on VHS or Laserdisc?

NH

Hi Nighthawk, I have it on VHS. It was released in 1981 by Rhino Home Video. I don't know if it was released on laser disc or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW