Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boxing films

Rbowbrt

New in Town
Gentleman Jim! Errol Flynn...makes me happy.
gentjim1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"Here Comes Mr. Jordan"

HCMJ2lrg._V46951204_.jpg

I know that the film's few fight scenes are rather lame but I just love the movie. :p

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
If you want to spread the net even broader, there's the classic Three Stooges short PUNCH DRUNKS, where Curly goes nuts every time he hears "Pop Goes the Weasel". And while we're at it, Shemp's first Columbia Stooge short FRIGHT NIGHT was about the boys trying to soften up a boxer.

And while it's one of their lesser efforts, ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN is still entertaining.

Dagwood

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Since we are casting a pretty wide net here, I'll have to throw in Fight Club.

Let's not forget Bruce Willis as a boxer in Pulp Fiction. [The net may be too wide now]

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Most of the movies previously mentioned are fairy tale type stories where the hero eventually becomes a top contender or champion. While I enjoyed many of these flicks (HERE COMES MR. JORDAN in particular) my favorite boxing film by far is John Huston's FAT CITY which portrays the unglamorous life of prelim fighters. Great cast features many former fighters and Stacey Keach at his best. Based on a superb novel.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
GeniusInTheLamp said:
If you want to spread the net even broader, there's the classic Three Stooges short PUNCH DRUNKS, where Curly goes nuts every time he hears "Pop Goes the Weasel". And while we're at it, Shemp's first Columbia Stooge short FRIGHT NIGHT was about the boys trying to soften up a boxer.

I'm partial to when Bugs Bunny went into the boxing ring.

Did Herman Munster ever box? I know he wrestled once. lol

I actually thought of this thread the other day when I was watching the episode of the Simpsons when Homer became a boxer because he couldn't be knocked out. There's black and white boxing movie inspired sequence in this episode.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Another good boxing film is "Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956) with Paul Newman. " [huh] .
I was reading this thread and had hoped someone would mention this film.
Rocky Graziano was a great fighter that nobody ever talks about.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just watched "The Set-Up", Feraud began this thread claiming it as one of his faves, and its an excellent boxing movie! Robert Ryan is great and the fight sequences are as good as "Rocky" (the first one!).

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Even though its not that great of a movie... I have to admit I liked Diggstown... I love the classics but cmon sometimes a mediocre movie just hits you right (pun intended)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I can't believe no one's mentioned Buster Keaton in "Battling Butler" (1926) -- the tale of a rich young wastrel who is forced to prove his mettle in the boxing ring. There's plenty of the usual Keaton comedy (usual for Keaton being "sublime" by any standard), but the fight scene is harrowingly realistic. Buster had an incredibly athletic body, and he seems to go berserk in pummelling his bigger, stronger opponent. The fight action is also very well filmed -- so much so that certain of the shots were copied in "Raging Bull" decades later.

Justdog

Practically Family
Hurricane

vintage68 said:
Anyone see The Hurricane with Denzel Washington? I read an interview with him in Men's Vogue, probably the best men's magazine out there, and it made me want to rent it.

Yes and it was an excellent film. If you have a moment sometime search for the real story of Hurricane Carter he was on the victims rights committee aiding the unjustly convicted. A different take on the story. For example http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/

FATS88

One of the Regulars
MUDINYEREYE'S THE MAN!

MudInYerEye said:
Most of the movies previously mentioned are fairy tale type stories where the hero eventually becomes a top contender or champion. While I enjoyed many of these flicks (HERE COMES MR. JORDAN in particular) my favorite boxing film by far is John Huston's FAT CITY which portrays the unglamorous life of prelim fighters. Great cast features many former fighters and Stacey Keach at his best. Based on a superb novel.

OH YEA!!
my favorite also, I've recommended it to all fight fans.
I saw this for the first time, while I was languishing
in D.C.
I'm a third generation Californian, and it made me so
homesick...I cried for an hour.

Cheers!
FATS88

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW