Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

Saho

New in Town
Cambridge Satchel Company bags made in England? Are there any warranty to this? The price seems kind of low as I've always considered Tusting to be a good value for British made leatherwares.

Carnacki25

New in Town
Any experience with Filson's briefcases?

I'm new here, so I don't know if this is in the correct forum, but has anyone had any experience with Filson's briefcases? I'm looking for a rugged retro looking case, and they seem to fit the bill. I have a nice English leather case from Levenger, but I'm looking for something a little less formal with a little more carrying space. I have a Filson jacket which is nicely made. Any help or other suggestions for a nice old style waterproof briefcase would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I've always wanted to find a vintage gladstone bag and clean it up, the problem is my job doesn't really require a briefcase per se, in my work uniform it would look a bit silly I think.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Anyone have experience with Saddleback Leather in general? Where are they made?

Before anyone says anything..i know im responding to a 2 year post :)

i have owned a Large Coffee Saddleback Briefcase for about 2 years actually. They are made in Mexico from very thick leather. The briefcase receives many compliments and is very sturdy. It does have a tendency, and what the company told me is normal, to lean forward when sitting on the counter. So it never actually sits upright. I dont care for this at all, but as I was told, this is the norm. It actually looks better the more it is used. I do have to say that the real major drawback in my opinion is that it is HEAVY!!. I cannot tell you how unbearable it can be with one book and a laptop within to carry. It feels like you are carrying 50+ pounds on your shoulder. You will often hear that weight is an issue with their bags. I do love it though, but I would probably not buy it again. If I had a second go, I would probably purchase a Mitchell's Leathers briefcase, but they are a bit more expensive. Either way, two great sacs, just be weary of a weight issue. Many people do say that the laptop briefcase is much lighter.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I'm new here, so I don't know if this is in the correct forum, but has anyone had any experience with Filson's briefcases? I'm looking for a rugged retro looking case, and they seem to fit the bill. I have a nice English leather case from Levenger, but I'm looking for something a little less formal with a little more carrying space. I have a Filson jacket which is nicely made. Any help or other suggestions for a nice old style waterproof briefcase would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have one that I have been using off/on for a couple of years. Found it on eBay. It's definitly a stout piece of gear. The heavy leather is VERY stiff but it's actually a pretty light bag. I don't need to carry a brief case every day so it's been a little slow breaking in but it just keeps getting better looking. When not in use I store two volumes of the Northwest Reporter in the front pocket and two volumes of the Michigan Compliled Laws in the back pocket. That really helped stretch it out. In terms of the amount of room, plenty of space for a laptop, legal pads, and 4 inches of files. I tuck my journal or my iPad in the slip-in pocket on the back.

This past winter I was walking down a street in Indianapolis and passed an older gentleman. When got the the corner he came up to me and ask me about the case. It caught his eye and he actually caught up to me to ask about it. The gentleman, an attorney, was in his late 70's and commented that it has been a very long time since he had seen a case like mine. We tipped our hats and parted ways.

There is nothing fancy about the Filson Bridle Leather Brief Case but it's the real deal. No soft plush lining, no pen holders (althogh there is a place for business cards) but it's classic in every way.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Show us your attache cases (hardside briefcases)

In addition to pics of the well known brands like Coach, Swaine Adley Brigg, Hartmann etc., I'd like to get an idea of what the lesser-known brands were too. Please, no man purses.

howardeye

Practically Family
This is my case I use when on the motorcycle which is most of the time when the roads are free of ice and snow. It does not take up a lot of space in the saddlebag. It has 3 compartments plus a zippered one making up the back side. I think it is actually a document bag. I paid $25 on the bay a few years ago. It was already weathered which is how I prefer my leather. I do not have enough years left to make a newer one presentable for my lifestyle.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've always liked those old-style double-strap leather satchel-bags, but I've never had the chance to buy one. The ones I usually see are the modern ones with the fake straps, which are actually magnetic click-on straps. Which isn't really what I want.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok here's a car boot find from yesterday morning, found it looking rather forlorn however a quick exterior clean( inside was clean) and it's good to go;
2qxbatj.jpg
t7jzpw.jpg

4rvq6w.jpg
3162ihw.jpg

Leather is good and strong, it has some surface/finish crackling mainly to the sides and fastening strap but nothing structural or deep, just a couple of bits of loose easy to do stiching repairs and the zip needs re-sewing as it's come undone but works fine!
28a2c8k.jpg

phebus

One of the Regulars
Can anyone tell me what this is? It looks like Ostrich and says GQ on it. GQ as in the magazine?? It's soft sided, so I'm not sure it's even considered a briefcase. It doesn't look very old, maybe 70's/80's? I have no idea. I can't find any label or marks of any kind besides the stitched GQ logo. I have done some googling, but can't find one like it.

Attachments

• WP_20151029_17_37_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151029_17_37_40_Pro.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 350

phebus

One of the Regulars
Here's the inside. A couple pouches, a couple more zippered pouches, pen holders, etc..

Attachments

• WP_20151029_17_38_16_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151029_17_38_16_Pro.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 332

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
1930-40's German briefcase made of black leather with white stitching.
The locks are marked with "DRP" (Deutsches Reichs-Patent).
Complete with three keys (in peculiar leather cases) and zipped compartments.

SAM_8861.jpg

SAM_8864.jpg

SAM_8865.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21