Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

French

Familiar Face
Saddleback leather bag arrived yesterday

I can finally add to this thread. I purchased a 16" chestnut briefcase from Saddleback's ebay store. I couldn't justify paying their list price for a briefcase, but felt a second would be worth the chance (considering they can sell for as much as 40% off list price, but it is a gamble because of the price fluctuations on ebay).

I have to say, everything I've read about Saddleback on this thread is true. If this bag is a second, I can only imagine how perfect a 'first' must be. After I have the opportunity to use it a bit, I will be sure to post a review (with lots of my own pictures). Howver, for now, here are some small pictures I shamelessly downloaded from the auction for the bag I won.

These three pictures are small, and were taken by the people at Saddlebackleather.com

marbelingonmybag.jpg
nickedleather.jpg
saddlebackpictureofmybag.jpg

You can hardly notice the marbeling that is highlighted in the first picture, and the nick in the second picture also does not look as bad in real life as in the picture. In fact, my wife had trouble believing this bag is a second, and was wondering how I was able to get it for the price I paid. When I asked her what she thought of the bag she answered "Its gorgeous."

Now I know where to buy her Christmas or birthday present

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Atache

I have noticed that most of the examples listed here have flap covers, buckles, etc. and are in more of a mailbag style.

I am also looking for a bag, but I think I am more interested in an atache-type case. The case I am thinking of is hard, and often has a combination to open the case (although that is not a necessity). Does anyone have any recommendations for those? Also, since I am a lady, I would like it not to look *too* masculine.

Thanks!

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Brown Prototype Wallet

Hi Guys,

I finally have a few pictures here of the brown front quarter horsehide wallet with an eyelet added for attaching a chain, and 2 hidden pockets added behind the card slots:

BrownProtoWalletClosed.jpg

BrownWalletOpenBack.jpg

BrownWalletProtoOpenInside.jpg

BrownProtoWalletHiddenPocket.jpg

Do you think we are closer to getting it right? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Shaun

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Sfend002,

No firm price yet until the design is locked down, but somewhere south of $65 is a safe number until we get a bigger run under our belts and can judge labor a little better. (Always better to under-promise and over-deliver rather than the other way around :) ). Our website is http://www.mw-traveler.com.

Thanks!

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Shaun

Those all look quite nice. That wallet in particular looks pretty cool... and I think that the chain-loop looks subdued enough that the wallet doesn't look too... bikerish? A see-through plastic slide for a photo ID might be useful, considering how much security is involved in travel these days.

I like the briefcase scaled-down, though personally I'd say stick with traditional buckles. They hold up better, and in my experience you can learn to fasten them quite quickly.

The one other idea you might want to consider is a leather ticket/passport-holder. I've always thought that most passport covers left out the tickets, giving you two things to keep track of while trying to put your shoes on AND put your wallet, cell, change and etc back in your pockets once you've gone through security. That's just been my experience however.

Cool work... be interesting to see what you come up with.

univibe88

One Too Many
Shaun Mangan said:
Hi Guys,

I finally have a few pictures here of the brown front quarter horsehide wallet with an eyelet added for attaching a chain, and 2 hidden pockets added behind the card slots:

BrownProtoWalletClosed.jpg

BrownWalletOpenBack.jpg

BrownWalletProtoOpenInside.jpg

BrownProtoWalletHiddenPocket.jpg

Do you think we are closer to getting it right? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Shaun

I think this looks perfect. I really like the contrast stitching. I think $65 is a great pricepoint - especially for FQHH and made in the US. I'll take one!

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi RP and Karl,

Thanks for the great feedback! Paddy had also suggested a passport holder. That's a great point about being able to stow your tickets, too. I've always struggled with this and opted to wear button down shirts with pockets on travel days so I'd have more places to put my tickets, etc. It would have been much easier to keep the tickets and passport together in one spot (and a whole lot more comfortable to wear a casual shirt instead!).

The plastic window has come up with our team here before, and I have resisted that feature because I recalled how scratched, cloudy, and cracked these eventually become. I didn't want to offer a product with a lifetime guarantee when I thought it had a feature that would eventually fail. I'll circle back to our guys on this and see if there is a good solution we are overlooking.

Thanks again for the input - I'll give you all a heads-up when these are released to the online store!

Shaun

P.S. How did you get the photos to show up? I monkeyed with Photo Bucket and pasting hyperlinks in the "Insert Image" field for an hour before I gave up!

univibe88

One Too Many
Shaun Mangan said:
P.S. How did you get the photos to show up? I monkeyed with Photo Bucket and pasting hyperlinks in the "Insert Image" field for an hour before I gave up!

In the links that you posted, delete everything from the "?" to the end. In otherwords, stop the link at ".jpg"

If you are in photobucket, you will see 4 links listed under the picture available for copy and paste. Use the 4th one that says "IMG code"

Justdog

Practically Family
Maybe an old thread but

Matt Deckard said:
They make good stuff. I have had the convertable schollar bag for the past few years and love it profoundly. I give them a high recomendation.

Convertible-Scholar-Brown.jpg

Just got this for someones present and highly anticipating its delivery. Customer service so far excellent.
X wide base

Catalog-Scholar-laptop-w-pockets-Ba.jpg

1494-Scholar_Laptop_with_pockets_Ov.jpg

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
New Quick Release

Hi Guys!

We finally have our quick release solution for the straps on the new briefcase. Finding a good solution was more painful than I thought it would be! But it was worth the effort and the wait I think. Here's a few pics:

Picture001.jpg

Picture055_edited-2.jpg

Picture076_edited-1.jpg

Nickelfront.jpg

Nickelseparated.jpg

These are heavy duty pull snaps that have a spring action and press down on to stud bases to make a good secure connection. They have a very smooth action and are easy to operate. They have a nice subdued, classic look, and come in nickel over brass or plain brass. The snaps stay hidden underneath the straps and the buckles when the briefcase is closed (like in the top picture).

The buckles on the outside stay functional and allow you to make adjustments to the straps if you carry a really full briefcase or a lightly packed briefcase. We like these new snaps so much we plan on making them standard on all of our briefcases.

So what do you guys think? Any comments would be great!

Thanks!

Shaun

P.S. Karl, thanks for the Photobucket tip - I finally got the hang of it

mattfink

Practically Family
I personally would rather unbuckle/buckle than have the quick release snaps. I know I'm going against the trend (at least they aren't magnets like some of the ones they sell at J Crew have).

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Matt,

I sure appreciate sticking with just buckles. It was our original instincts and we made it be the initial design. Part of starting up a business is deciding who you are. We decided to cater to the business traveler, but with a nod to the past when quality and style were king. If we want the briefcases to appeal to folks who are slogging it through business meetings and airports, then we felt it was important to also provide some features that would be helpful for them. If any of the TFL folks want the buckles only version which remains more true to the Golden Era, then feel free to contact me directly and we'll make it happen. Good input, Matt! I totally understand what you're getting at.

Thanks!

Shaun

Edward

Bartender
Offering both options at the price point yoy're aiming for is, I think, a good idea. I agree with your assessment as to what the biggest market is, and the catches you've gone with are the best looking quick release options I've seen.

Another idea.... unfortunately I have no photos as I have misplaced it here at home, but.... while in Beijing last May, I wanted something smaller and handier than my regular wallet. I was out and about all day and, due to the heat, only wearing a shirt and trousers, so I wanted something which would carry cash (paper money, coins I always just drop in a pocket) and a couple of cards, while being small and compact. In a local market I picked up a small thing which was perfect. I'm not sure whether you would call it a billfold or a money clip... Just slightly bigger than the average credit card, it opened like a little address book to reveal, in the middle, a clip for paper money. Just folded, no fastener or anything there. On one side there was a littel flap to accomodate a card - very handy for the smart card for the local subway system. On the outside of one of the sides, there was a press-stud flap, full size, which opened to reveal slots for two or three credit cards. If memory serves, the other outer panel also had a small stud-fastened pouch which could take coins. I'll put up a photo if I can find it again, its in here somewhere!! Superb little wallet that slips neatly into a shirt pocket without being obtrusive, and carries all the essentials when you don't want the big, regular wallet. Great for holidays, days when you're out without a jacket and so have less pocket space, and also big nights out in black tie or whatever when you don't want the full wallet. Would be superb with a really classy brass clip, and in a quality fqhh in a nice cognac colour.Sort of thing that at he right price I'd consider in black as well, to match the other accessories on a night out.

Edward

Bartender
IMGP2825.jpg

IMGP2826.jpg

IMGP2827.jpg

IMGP2828.jpg

The leather isn't bad, certainly not fqhh level though. A heavier, brass clip would be nice too. I should have thought something like this would be a nice use of small bits of leather left over from larger bags etc (Much like Eastman produce their wallets from leftover scraps when they produce their A2s).

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Edward,

Nice wallet! It does have some cool features and I like how compact it is. I've been curious about the button snap feature for some time since it's a nice way to add a little extra security. Is it noticeable? I mean when the wallet is stuffed full, does it poke up or does it stay recessed pretty well? I have to confess that I've never used a money clip before. I need to get one and try using it - get some experience under my belt and make sense of it before I start on developing something similar. Thanks for taking the time with the pictures. It gives me some great ideas!

Thanks!

Shaun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy