Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
I have had my medium sized briefcase in the Tabacco Brown color for a while, and I have to say it is the best bag I have owned. I searched all over the place and kept coming back to this company. The company had great customer service, too. I know that if I have any issues, I can just send it back and they will take care of it. Just as an FYI, I bought mine off of their ebay store and saved a bundle. I could not be happier with it.

JP

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I gotta try and get me one of these... but for now, I have this. Anyone know what this type of bag is officially called? Col. Littelton calls is a "grip", any ideas?

0430091414a.jpg

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
M&W Traveler prototypes - What do you think?

We're considering adding a couple items to our product line-up, but I value the group's opinions here and I was hoping to get some input before we do.

We recently built a prototype of a briefcase that has fewer features (and a lower price) than our current Laptop Briefcase design. There are no outer pockets on the front and there is no padded laptop compartment inside. It has two main interior compartments with a zippered pocket divider. Here are a few photos (if I did this right - first time for me!):

BlackLiteBCProtoClosedFront.jpg

BlackBCLiteProtoClosedBack.jpg

BlackBCLiteProtoOpenFront.jpg

BlackBCLiteProtoOpenInside.jpg

We also built a prototype of a wallet. This is styled after a "hipster" type wallet that has been my favorite and I have used for international business travel for the past few years. I found this to be a good solution for handling odd size currency, storing receipts for expense reports, and holding more cards (CC, frequent flyer, etc.). This version has heavy 10 oz. cotton lining added for the center gusset and the back panel to make it a tougher design. Here are a few photos:

BlackWalletProtoOpenFront.jpg

BlackWalletProtoOpenBack.jpg

BlackWalletProtoOpenInside.jpg

Both prototypes are crafted of front quarter horsehide - black in this case, but brown would be available, too.

What do you think? Good ideas? Any obvious goofs? Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Shaun

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Zetwal,

The black briefcase has nickel plated brass rivets and chrome over brass buckles. The brown briefcase would have solid brass hardware. Good question - thanks

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Inusuit,

I appreciate the vote of confidence! I would PM you, but since I'm a newbie at the forum I don't have the ability to do that yet. (Either that or it's operator error!). If you'll shoot me an email at smangan@mw-traveler.com, I can work out details with you. I hope to get more input from TFL for a few more days and then we'll either go through another design iteration or pull the trigger on production. Thanks!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

From my own travelling experience I often feel my wallet is vulnerable when in a 'non zipped' pocket. What I would find handy would be a brass fitted hole/ring in the wallet that would allow a small karibiner type device to link into so that I can then attach it to a chain for my pocket (abit like what they did in the olden days!;) ).

Other items you might consider for the future are, a decent passport holder; an iPhone wallet. If you use veg tanned horse hide that allows, with wear, the under colour to start showing through, that would give a real old vintage feel to the items.

A decent priced leather gent's 'Wash kit' bag (with brass zip, not plastic) would be a winner too (too often the decent ones are just charging too much to be realistic in the current market).

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Paddy,

Thanks for all the ideas!

I did some research on vintage chain wallets and what I found was that there are 3 ways to make the chain attachment to the wallet:

1. A metal ring set in an outside corner of the wallet.
2. A metal ring set in the top of a fold.
3. A small loop of leather with a D ring attached that extends from the wallet a bit.

I think option 2 makes the most sense for this design. It's a simple addition that won't interfere with stuffing items in the billfold area. What do you think? If you like the idea, then we'll make a brown wallet with a brass ring and post the pictures here.

Let me bounce your other product ideas off the rest of the team and see which makes sense for the next prototype project.:)

Our horsehide is vegetable re-tanned. It's not a pure veg tan process, but it does impart veg tanned leather properties.

Great input - thanks!

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Ethan,

I'm glad you like the wallet! It doesn't have any hidden flaps or compartments. I think I know what you are asking about. I have owned wallets that include a hidden pocket between the card holding slots and the main billfold compartment (I have put a spare key in there to help me with the times I've locked myself out!). Is this what you had in mind? Do you mind describing this feature a little more?

Thanks!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Shaun Mangan said:
Hi Ethan,

I'm glad you like the wallet! It doesn't have any hidden flaps or compartments. I think I know what you are asking about. I have owned wallets that include a hidden pocket between the card holding slots and the main billfold compartment (I have put a spare key in there to help me with the times I've locked myself out!). Is this what you had in mind? Do you mind describing this feature a little more?

Thanks!

Yes, that's certainly the idea. Quite often it's a flap within a flap. I used keep a few spare cheques in my pocket book and when looking for them once and figured I must have taken them out but they were in the concealed flap.

I think it tends to work better with cheques, notes, bills because they are thinner and so can't really be felt through the wallet.

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Edward,

Thanks for the kudos! We've had some offline encouraging input as well. We're going to experiment with one suggested variation (a quick release system for the straps) and see if it makes sense to incorporate this with the buckles as decoration or just make it a different model. I'll keep the forum posted on progress.

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
Shaun Mangan said:
Hi Edward,

Thanks for the kudos! We've had some offline encouraging input as well. We're going to experiment with one suggested variation (a quick release system for the straps) and see if it makes sense to incorporate this with the buckles as decoration or just make it a different model. I'll keep the forum posted on progress.

Thanks!

Ah, you mean like a magentic catch? I think that would certainly be convenient and (judging from what else I see on the market) popular. It might, if financially viable, also make sense to offer a model with 'real' buckles. While not a deal breaker, I would have a strong preference for those myself; not sure if this is a preference more widely held in the vintage market?

Shaun Mangan

New in Town
Hi Edward,

I like the "real" buckles also and I'm leaning more toward 2 models.

We're not settled yet on how to handle the quick release system. Some makers of similar style vintage briefcases (flap-over and straps) use tucktite fasteners (also called tuck locks, push locks, thumb catches, etc.) that are hidden beneath the buckle and strap. The buckle performs no real function when this is done and is purely for aesthetics. I think this is a good look and it makes access to the inside compartments more convenient, but the trick is finding fasteners that will hold up to years of abuse.

I've also seen where the buckles are done away with altogether, and magnetic catches or turnlocks are used to secure the flap. Same issue here with finding good hardware.

Much of this quick release hardware is produced with prongs on the back plate to secure the hardware to the leather. The prongs I've seen so far and experimented with are pretty flimsy and wouldn't perform as well as screws or rivets. Finding strong and durable solutions has made up the bulk of the design work we've done to date (I've got a few briefcases now that would make good door stops :) ).

This has been a tough nut to crack but we know there is a strong need. We have a couple of new ideas that are promising. I'll know more in the next week or two.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy