Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cafe racer options -- Aero, Lost Worlds, Ironheart?

technovox

One Too Many
Thanks guys, all very helpful indeed. I agree that fit is paramount, without that right all the rest is useless. I've found a retail shop that has the LW in my size and is returnable, so I may give that a try and go from there.

But complicating matters is that I just came across this Himel Bros "Pinecrest Racing Jacket." Himel is of course usually at the top of anybody's price bracket, but this one is more reasonable. "Reasonable" being relative of course, but when you're looking at $1000 to begin with, then all of the sudden $1350 doesn't seem as crazy as it might. (And who will know if I raid my daughter's college fund..?) Anyway, pics below. The first two from the website look fantastic to me. The one fit pic I found, maybe less fantastic:

DSC_0484_large.JPG

DSC_0486_large.JPG

tumblr_nwbvmufS4Q1qardm0o1_500.jpg

Definitely a beautiful take on the cafe racer. Sort of a nod to the old school Bates style. I like it. My favorite of the choices so far!

BobJ

Practically Family
Thanks guys, all very helpful indeed. I agree that fit is paramount, without that right all the rest is useless. I've found a retail shop that has the LW in my size and is returnable, so I may give that a try and go from there.

But complicating matters is that I just came across this Himel Bros "Pinecrest Racing Jacket." Himel is of course usually at the top of anybody's price bracket, but this one is more reasonable. "Reasonable" being relative of course, but when you're looking at $1000 to begin with, then all of the sudden $1350 doesn't seem as crazy as it might. (And who will know if I raid my daughter's college fund..?) Anyway, pics below. The first two from the website look fantastic to me. The one fit pic I found, maybe less fantastic:

DSC_0484_large.JPG

DSC_0486_large.JPG

I don't think you can tell much from this fit pic - it's very tight, and he is standing with an overly-arched back and a dropped right shoulder.

DSC_0484_large.JPG

DSC_0486_large.JPG

I'd be shocked if you returned the LW. If it fits you right, you'll likely not have the desire to look any further.

Mark

Practically Family
I returned to biking last year but could not afford a bike specific jacket so I had my Cirrus A2 altered with the typical A2 collar being replaced with a café racer style collar with just one stud closure. I still keep a look out for a proper café racer on ebay and the like but to be honest the converted A2 just does the job so well I doubt I could improve on it (other than in the looks department perhaps, although it don't look bad at all in my opinion). The knits do I fine job of keeping the wind out as does the storm flap covering the zip and the A2 style pockets are so handy for putting my key fob in. I only wish it were black instead of cordovan/mahogany colour.

Graemsay

Practically Family
The is the BKS Leather "Mayhew" jacket.

Mayhew.jpg

BKS make some of the finest and toughest motorcycle gear around. This jacket probably has a full set of armour, and if not, it could be added. It'll also be fitted to its owner.

The downside is that it costs about £1500.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The is the BKS Leather "Mayhew" jacket.

Mayhew.jpg

BKS make some of the finest and toughest motorcycle gear around. This jacket probably has a full set of armour, and if not, it could be added. It'll also be fitted to its owner.

The downside is that it costs about £1500.
Even with the favorable exchange rate for US members, that is serious dinero with likely better options for those of us in the Colonies. :rolleyes:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Love the design of the LW. I have 2 Aero cafe racer jackets (brown and black) and they're awesome. Can't go wrong with either of those. Never seen IronHeart in person, so no comment there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24