Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I got this coat at Goodwill yesterday for $3.99. I'm curious to know its age. Regardless, I'll need it come next winter.

DSCF1416.jpg

Wellington Fashions
DSCF1417.jpg

Union Label
DSCF1420.jpg

I know it' somewhat vintage just don't know how much vintage it is. :)

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
i recently won a dress on ebay, and it came in the mail today. the seller's description says
Vintage 30s depression dress is tagged "BEAUMONT", and is black flat weave wool with black braided cord trim on the collar, pockets, and cuffs. The styling is tailored and has peter pan rounded collar. Sleeves are three-quarter length with wide turn cuffs. Top buttons up the back, there is also a working metal side zipper. The belt is matching fabric with oval shaped buckle. No size tag, shoulders 14", bust 38", waist 29", torso 17", hips 39", length 40". In very good condition with no holes, stains, or damage.
anyway, i'm not wondering so much about the time of the dress as the intended style. (although, if anyone has a more defined idea of the year, that would be nice!) the lower half of this dress fits me perfectly, but the top half is loose (i have a 35" bust, so 3" ease). i was wondering if this was how the dress was worn, or if it's just my pear-ness? i tend to buy things with full skirts and fitted tops because of my hips/thighs, but i fell in love with a dress in one of the local vintage shops that had a more fitted skirt, and then i saw this one of ebay... anyway, i know pretty much nothing about style in the 30's, so if anyone could help me out with the way this is supposed to fit, i'd be grateful! (i have a feeling i'll need to take it in, but it will just get stuck on the bottom of a very large alterations pile...)

8d2e_1.jpg

8e28_1.jpg

8fed_1.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you look in the "30s wardrobe staples" thread, you'll see a lot of catalogs that show women in 30s dresses as they were meant to be worn. I think that they were meant to fit close to the body, not to be worn loose. I am not an expert however.

On the bright side, you can always just sell it to me! ;)

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
if it didn't fit me perfectly in the thigh area (a miracle, i say!) it would be yours. :D

i was looking through the 30's thread last night, and it seemed that a lot of illustrations showed (what looked like) excess fabric above the belt. not extremely loose, but perhaps not as fitted on top as what i'm used to? 30's style is new for me, so i'm hesitant to make quick judgments about fitting.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I know nothing of glasses....any idea if these are 40s or 50s? I just posted these in the "show us your purchases" so forgive me if I am committing a faux pas.

mynewglasses.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

Depression Glass(?)

Hi, in the great cleanout we have come across this vase, which according to Google seems to be Candlewick glass. Does anyone know anything about this type of glass? Dating? Authenticity of this particular piece?
0407091609.jpg

Thx!

Miss 1929

maybelaughter said:
i recently won a dress on ebay, and it came in the mail today. the seller's description says
anyway, i'm not wondering so much about the time of the dress as the intended style. (although, if anyone has a more defined idea of the year, that would be nice!) the lower half of this dress fits me perfectly, but the top half is loose (i have a 35" bust, so 3" ease). i was wondering if this was how the dress was worn, or if it's just my pear-ness? i tend to buy things with full skirts and fitted tops because of my hips/thighs, but i fell in love with a dress in one of the local vintage shops that had a more fitted skirt, and then i saw this one of ebay... anyway, i know pretty much nothing about style in the 30's, so if anyone could help me out with the way this is supposed to fit, i'd be grateful! (i have a feeling i'll need to take it in, but it will just get stuck on the bottom of a very large alterations pile...)

8d2e_1.jpg

8e28_1.jpg

8fed_1.jpg

It's a swell dress, but i think it is actually post WWII, the skirt is short and flared and it doesn't say 30s to me... they stil did side zippers through the 50s...
I would also say unless it looks huge and baggy it is ok to be loose. Why be uncomfortable!

Miss 1929

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Hi, in the great cleanout we have come across this vase, which according to Google seems to be Candlewick glass. Does anyone know anything about this type of glass? Dating? Authenticity of this particular piece?
0407091609.jpg

Thx!

what a pretty vase!
There's a Depression Glass thread in the Display Case right now, someone might be able to ID it there too.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I agree with Miss 1929 on the black dress. It's probably 50s, not 30s. The 50s mimicked the 30s in a lot of ways so I'll often see 50's stuff mislisted as 30s, and vice versa. I have seen 50s clothing with the Beaumont label as well. Good ways to check are hem lengths, although they could be changed. Most 30s hits mid calf, 50s are often shorter. Check the bust darts, too. In the 30s you rarely see bust darts coming from the side seams coupled with darts from the waist. If the bust area is somewhat sticking out, it's cut for bullet bra styles. Still a super cute dress and I really love it!

Mary

Practically Family
This seems to be the only tread I post in( though I follow quite a few.) More shoes!

I can't tell sturdy shoes from one another. The brown ones are very wide. I think the girl must have been pregnant during that time. What do you think? Is there any way to make shoes smaller?

2009_041409marsfl0197.jpg

2009_041409marsfl0198.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Mary said:
This seems to be the only tread I post in( though I follow quite a few.) More shoes!

I can't tell sturdy shoes from one another. The brown ones are very wide. I think the girl must have been pregnant during that time. What do you think? Is there any way to make shoes smaller?

Okay, after i passed out from the beautiful shoe picture, let me suggest an insole. I went from an 11W to a regular 10, and found that in most of my shoes adding a good insole helped take up some of the space, without changing the shoe at all. Also, if they tend to slip at the heel you can buy those stick on silicone heel pads.

Lovely shoes, and sooo tiny looking.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Mary said:

Give these to me immediately! ;)

Mary

Practically Family
First some more snakeskin. When are they from? I guess the pointyness should tell but I'm know to little.

2009_041409marsfl0199.jpg

2009_041409marsfl0201.jpg

They are Wallenbergs. A brand I haven't seen before.
2009_041409marsfl0202.jpg

I'm hoping these are early 30's. They are in black suede and leather and have lovely details beside the ribbon that look art deco to me. (I'll take better pictures, when it's not late at night.) The brand is Idoff and until I baught these I never knew what Idoff was. In the centre of Malmö there is a big sign with the Idoff label and another that says Idoffcenter. I'll defintly look up if all Idoff-shoes were made locally. I'd be so much fun if they were made less than a km from me.

(And the label actually look 20's with the Louis-heel. )

2009_041409marsfl0203.jpg

2009_041409marsfl0204.jpg

And the last question is when they should be worn? I only seem to find pumps and as far as I've read they were everyday wear. I never come upon any that are made to dance in. Would the working girl wear these when dressed up? The ones with the ribbon look more strict to me. What do you think?

Miss 1929

Mary said:
First some more snakeskin. When are they from? I guess the pointyness should tell but I'm know to little.

2009_041409marsfl0199.jpg

2009_041409marsfl0201.jpg

They are Wallenbergs. A brand I haven't seen before.
2009_041409marsfl0202.jpg

I'm hoping these are early 30's. They are in black suede and leather and have lovely details beside the ribbon that look art deco to me. (I'll take better pictures, when it's not late at night.) The brand is Idoff and until I baught these I never knew what Idoff was. In the centre of Malmö there is a big sign with the Idoff label and another that says Idoffcenter. I'll defintly look up if all Idoff-shoes were made locally. I'd be so much fun if they were made less than a km from me.

(And the label actually look 20's with the Louis-heel. )

2009_041409marsfl0203.jpg

2009_041409marsfl0204.jpg

And the last question is when they should be worn? I only seem to find pumps and as far as I've read they were everyday wear. I never come upon any that are made to dance in. Would the working girl wear these when dressed up? The ones with the ribbon look more strict to me. What do you think?
I would say those are indeed early 30s, you lucky thing (SO hard to find) and they are daytime shoes, to be worn in the fall or winter.

Yes, dance shoes are hard to find - they usually got danced to bits or they hurt for some reason. However there are lots of nice reproduction dance shoes out there that look very authentic. Check out Tara Tango.

Like these:
celosmetallowproduct.jpg

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Help Dating these items please

Hi all, I picked up a couple of interesting things at a recent estate sale and I was hoping you might lend your expertise dating these items as they are older than what I am used to dealing with.
The first dress has prong set rhinestones around neckline and sleeves have huge pads in them to keep the poof. Closes with side metal zip.
IMG_4885.jpg

Gathers at front of skirt...
IMG_4886.jpg

Matching headpiece...
IMG_4887.jpg

Large bow at back
IMG_4888.jpg

The second dress is from the Sweetheart bridal shop and closes with 29 buttons at the back. Fabric is meshlike and layered.
IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

and a cool old chef hat...
IMG_4894.jpg
IMG_4895.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner