Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cary Grant vs. Sean Connery Suits

cgab1

One of the Regulars
I've heard it said that no one wore a suit as well as Cary Grant. I agree that he looked fabulous, but , to me Sean Connery's "Bond" wardrobe was impeccable - however, you don't hear quite as much about Connery's sartorial aplomb. I believe that Connery wore his Savile Row suits every bit as well as Grant did. Can anyone provide insight as to what is it that seems to make Cary Grant stand out so much? Maybe my inexperienced eye is not able to discern the subtle differences between the way these two gentlemen carry a suit.

Thanks!

Cgab

norton

One of the Regulars
I think Connery's Bond wardrobe is closer to current styles. This link has a nice discussion of Bond's suits and how to apply it to your wardrobe:

http://www.amnesta.net/other/007/

I was watching a couple bond movies on t.v. recently and was amazed at how he could show up in a new city with no luggage, and be out that evening in what looked like a bespoke tuxedo. I wish I could just run out and get a perfectly fitting suit in an hour or two. The man is amazing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
cgab1 said:
you don't hear quite as much about Connery's sartorial aplomb.
Outside of the four Bond films and Marnie, Connery really didn't dress that well on screen. Whereas Grant,with the exception of a few films (Father Goose :eek: ) was always well turned out. Additionally, Grant kept a trim physique throughout his career while Connery sorta let himself go in his latter years.

BTW, Fleming wrote Bond with Grant partly in mind and Grant was the first actor to be offered the role. He turned it down because he thought that he was too old.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Well, first, when talking the actor' respective hey days, you end up talking about Hollywood Style and Bold Look suits vs. the Continental look. (And I do believe some of the most respected gentlemen on this board have had that discussion a time or ten.)

That said, while I adore Sean Connery - from this gal's point of view, there's no one who looks better than Grant. I doubt you can find more than a handful of images in which he looks less than impeccable. And for heaven's sake, there's an entire book written about him that is a "Celebration of Style."

And his choice in sportswear, while it may not be the discussion at hand, is also quite superior to Connery. Again, apples to oranges to due to era and age difference. But I really think this is a no-contest question! To illustrate, two photos of Grant, one in a suit (relatively later, too) and one dressed down:

Just look at this fit and drape. Yum!
cary_grant_3.jpg

cary_grant_2.jpg

Dan D

Familiar Face
On- and off-screen

Cary Grant was also, I think, the first male Hollywood star to carry his on-screen sartorial perfection into his off-screen life as well; he dressed in the same manner publically and privately - in as much as a much-photographed icon is ever living 'privately' - such that the boundaries between the two states became indistinct. The image he created for himself in the public eye he also maintained outside the camera: the Cary Grant personna continued without a break, much as Steve McQueen would later do. I'm not sure Connery ever achieved this state, or whether he even wanted to.

billyspew

One Too Many
Dan D said:
Cary Grant was also, I think, the first male Hollywood star to carry his on-screen sartorial perfection into his off-screen life as well; he dressed in the same manner publically and privately - in as much as a much-photographed icon is ever living 'privately' - such that the boundaries between the two states became indistinct. The image he created for himself in the public eye he also maintained outside the camera: the Cary Grant personna continued without a break, much as Steve McQueen would later do. I'm not sure Connery ever achieved this state, or whether he even wanted to.

I doubt that, most a lot of stars in the '30's and '40's were expected to supply their own clothes if it wasn't a costume or period film. Just going on what I've read in biographies and books about the time period.
Take Bogart for instance, it's been said many times that the suit(s) he wore in The Maltese Falcon were his own.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
billyspew said:
I doubt that, most a lot of stars in the '30's and '40's were expected to supply their own clothes if it wasn't a costume or period film.
In Golden Era Hollywood there were huge wardrobe deparments in place in all the studios.It actually took a fair amount of clout for an actor to get wardrobe approval. There were only a handful of men who got it (and less women) and Grant, being the first free agent pretty much wore what he pleased for most of his career.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Debating Grant's vs. Connery's onscreen suited presence is totally subjective. It basically comes down to a referendum on the continental cut vs. the hollywood cut.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
One problem is the time difference in making a comparison. Most of us here have a "thing" for 1920s-early 1960s fashion and style. Cary Grant was active and very well dressed during almost that entire period (1920s excepting), and while fashions evolved he maintained an excellent sense of style throughout the period.

Connery was only really active in that final 5-10 years of our period and then the late 1960s and 1970s happen and Connery dressed for those eras, more or less. I do agree though that while watching TCM's salute to Connery a few months ago I was struck by how sharp he dressed in the James Bond movies and also "Marnie" and "Woman of Straw."

So while Grant 20 or so years into his career had roles where he dressed like this:

CaryGrantSuit1.jpg

Connery could look like this:
zardoz+sean+connery.jpg

:D I'm sorry guys I had to post that one. Actually, I'm surprised no one else had already posted that photo...

Oops took to long writing this... Tomasso beat me to it...

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They both are style icons in their own way, but, not in each others league. ;)

Connery

sean_connery.jpg

Grant

carygrant-iwasamalewarbride.jpg

This is silly it is like asking whether Batman can beat up Superman ....everyone knows that answer. :eusa_doh:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Chasseur said:
Connery could look like this:
zardoz+sean+connery.jpg
The key to bringing off a really smashing post-apocalyptic man-cloth is proper accessorizing with right sort of firearm. Sir Sean looks smart and confident with his revolver while future NRA man Mr.Heston opts for a simpler looks sans ammo belts: ready for the beach or just a lazy afternoon of gun sport with the local hippies...
Charlton-Heston---Planet-of-the-Ape.jpg

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Outside of the four Bond films and Marnie, Connery really didn't dress that well on screen

this is a bit off topic but connery was in more than 4 bond films, he was in:

DR. No

from russia with love

goldfinger

thunderball

you only live twice

diamonds are forever

And the non-cannon retelling of thunderball "never say never again"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
bobalooba said:
this is a bit off topic but connery was in more than 4 bond films
Oh I know but it was only in the first four that he was well dressed. ;)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I recall reading an interview of Cary Grant's daughter in which she said she never saw her father wearing anything but a suit or appropriate casual wear until he was in his 70s.

There is just something inherently civilized about Cary Grant's public and private sartorial style. As much as I enjoy Sean Connery's work, particularly his Bond (though Daniel Craig is in Connery territory), when I think of his sartorial style, I think of his Bond. When I think of Cary Grant's style, I just think of Cary Grant.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Oh I know but it was only in the first four that he was well dressed. ;)

really? were I to name the 4 he was well dressed in I would throw in diamonds are forever and exclude Dr. No simply because in doctor no he spent a lot of time in beach attire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21