Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chukka Boots

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I just picked up two pairs of NOS Clarks in a charity shop in Newport for 2.99 GBP each. Brand new and unworn. They are the original style. Ah, that picture of St. Michael's tower on the insole...

Special. Nice to know they're still out there.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Just to make life really complicated... I've just acquired a pair of 1949 pattern KD Shorts. They're just like 1950 pattern. I think they did it to confuse us!

Alan

Baron Kurtz said:
Is that right? The label on these says "1950 pattern" . . . I'm no military gear expert. Do you mean the 1945 pattern was identical to the 1950 pattern and they just changed the name, or that there was no "1950 pattern"?

bk

Edward

Bartender
By any chance were the patterns re-approved in those years, hence the pattern approved for 1950 became the 1950 pattern, irrespective of whether it was changed from 1945?

Or was it a cunning ruse to change the labels regularly to make itl ook like they were issuing all the latest stuff? ;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Desert Boots

Just an FYI for those of you stateside: Target has a version of the desert boot that is pretty close to the Clark's.

Men's Merona Josh Chukka Boot

They have the correct crepe sole, the fit is pretty good, and they are darn comfy. Just like the Clark's, though, there is zero arch support, and the toe box is relatively flat. They may not hold up as well as the Clark's over time, but at $40 they're a decent alternative.

1226081743.jpg

1227081317.jpg

Pardon the crappy cell phone photos, but their the best I have for the moment.

Baggers

Practically Family
I've been thinking about getting a new pair of brothel creepers, and the price is more than half that of Clarks or Orvis with the same look. Thanks, Mojave, I'll be hitting the local store as soon as I get back into town.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers, cheers! Good to see you again! I can picture you sitting in your living room, when the moment I posted your head shot up and you thought, "Someone just posted about desert boots!" and then rushed to your computer!

Scott, suede chukka boots they are! But of a very special breed. Makes me feel all Sgt Moffett when I wear them. I wore mine all day yesterday, on a variety of activities up to an including cutting and splitting some firewood. I particularly love the crepe sole, since it doesn't pick up and distribute the little rocks around the house the way my vibram soles do. They still pick up cholla needles and goats' heads, but a quick check on the way into the house and I'm good.

I'm thinking I may need to go back to Target and grab a second pair. I may wear this pair out before I know it!

dostacos

Practically Family
cookie said:
last time I wore a pair of clarks I was off roading and after a "radiator check" getting back into the truck I found Jumping Choia cactus stuck to my Clarks. the spines worked their way through the uppers SLOWLY and I ended up throwing them out because as much as I tried I kept finding new spines:eek:

may try again since I don't off road anymore

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I was in the Clark's factory shop in Street over Christmas and they had a version of their classic desert boot in stock. Imported, of course.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I was recently given a pair of official issue (post war) Ministry of Defence desert boots. They are 'rough outside' chukka boots like the WW2 private purchase ones, but with a direct molded sole. They were issued as tropical gear to a friend who serverd with the RAF in Cyprus.

It is a pleasure to have them, as according to most 'experts' they don't exist... Needless to say they are not by Clarks (who are Quakers).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
About three inches of ice on every road, more everywhere else, here. Then snow ontoppa. It'll be nice to wear these again when the weather breaks.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Clark's spectator shoes

Slightly 'off-topic' but possibly of interest - I was at the Clark's factory a couple of weeks ago and they have started to sell a brown and white 'cap toe' brogue spectator shoe in their 'Originals' range. Made in Vietnam, of course (rather than Somerset) and with a crepe sole like their desert boots but not bad anyway. I got a pair for 25 GBP.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
H.Johnson said:
I was recently given a pair of official issue (post war) Ministry of Defence desert boots. They are 'rough outside' chukka boots like the WW2 private purchase ones, but with a direct molded sole. They were issued as tropical gear to a friend who serverd with the RAF in Cyprus.

It is a pleasure to have them, as according to most 'experts' they don't exist... Needless to say they are not by Clarks (who are Quakers).

Silvermans' used to sell them, maybe they still do so.
Other vendors still sell them- I just can't find them in my size.

Crepe soles are great for ice skating.

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I tried Silverman's desert boots last year. They were rather shapeless and had a definite 'two left feet' factor. I returned them the next day for a refund.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran