Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clean that hat.

Feraud

Bartender
I have about 4 hats that sit on my hatrack. Being a creature of habit, I generally wear the same one for long periods of time. Tonight I noticed one of my hats is a bit dusty. If I rub a damp finger along that hat the dust will come off. Is there a better way?
How do you clean a dusty hat?
Thanks

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
A brush is the best policy if you are only talking about dust.
if it is more than dust you want to move up to a hat sponge, then a cleaning product. If it is really dirty go to a hatter.http://www.millerhats.com/case.html

035.gif

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Matt, a simple brushing will clean most hats. After that you can take a damp rag and wipe it off. Also I go to western shops and get a product put out by Scout that is a felt cleaner. It foams up on the hat and lifts dirt and some stains out. Naptha can also be used for hats with deeper stains, in a well ventilated area of course. Keep in mind some stains are all the way through the felt and those may never come out.

fedoralover

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks for the words fellas. I actually have a lint brush but it misses areas like where the crown meets the brim. I am going to get a brush like the one pictured.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not to Muddy the topic!

Another thing, aside from the brushing. If you don't brush your hat, and go outside and get caught in rain, the water turns the dust to MUD!

Also, you can buy those pilofilm hat covers, like the ones you get when you buy a new hat that comes in a box. I keep them over my hats that are not in boxes.

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
The brush attachment of a vacuum works very well at getting all the dust off. I just did it to my first Akubra not fifteen minutes ago! Brush and suck, fellas!

Also, don't be afraid of taking your hat into the shower with you and giving it a good shampoo, using a brush to work it in. I've done it multiple times with great results, though you do need to keep in mind that soaking a hat that thoroughly will make it shrink if you don't let it dry on a head, a block (sometimes the same thing), or a stretcher. But hey, felt is hair and hair is what shampoo is for.

job

One Too Many
I guess I'm not the only person that uses a lint brush to roll over my hats. A black hat shows what a regular hat brush can leave behind. I never thought about a vacuum. Hmmmmmm.

I guess I'm not the only person that uses a lint brush to roll over my hats. A black hat shows what a regular hat brush can leave behind. I never thought about a vacuum. Hmmmmmm.

Years ago I bought a beret from Gary White when he was the hat salesman at Peller & Mure. He used transparent packing tape to de-dust it. I continue to use that technique on fur felts from time to time when a quick pick me up is needed.

Justin B

One Too Many
I've seen the clear packing tape used, but I prefer blue painters tape just because I know it won't leave any sticky residue behind.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well I at least feel I am doing some things right. I have the hat brushes, and some sponges, have used the vacuum and tape as well. I am very uncomfortable about even getting any of my hats wet, and am anal about not wearing any fedora in the rain.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Well I at least feel I am doing some things right. I have the hat brushes, and some sponges, have used the vacuum and tape as well. I am very uncomfortable about even getting any of my hats wet, and am anal about not wearing any fedora in the rain.
I am a bit anal about being in the rain not wearing any fedora (it will never happen. That is the main function of my hats.)

Also, don't be afraid of taking your hat into the shower with you and giving it a good shampoo, using a brush to work it in. I've done it multiple times with great results, though you do need to keep in mind that soaking a hat that thoroughly will make it shrink if you don't let it dry on a head, a block (sometimes the same thing), or a stretcher. But hey, felt is hair and hair is what shampoo is for.

I think we use our hats differently. I can't imagine ever needing to shampoo a hat, much less wanting to risk damaging it that way.

HatsEnough

Banned

What the....
:(

dnjan

One Too Many
Can a ribbon be cleaned without taking it off the hat? I have a felt hat in which one of the stitches holding the ribbon on seems to immediately wick any sweat through. I would like to try to spot-clean the ribbon, but thought I should collect advise first.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Morning Gentlemann, i use white foam material, dry foam acts as a eraser, you can see after work the dust in the foam, then wash de dust out for the next clean.
Are the Hat is dirty, atomizer with soap and alcohol, or Ethanol mix , spray the Hat then use the foam to clean ist. with this method i have the best results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany