Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth/ twill/cotton/linen summer brimed lids

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Slouch-Hat said:
I just picked up the top one (Dorfman 'Sydney') and I love it. The shapeable brim allows for a good Outback look. I too have a little trouble with what they do to it on their site. The cowboy brim makes it look less appealing to me. But I got mine at the local Wild Animal Park, and it was shaped in a cool, Safari style that I liked. Good, heavyweight hat that should stand up to rain, but has a nice breathable quality that doesn't make my head too hot.

I hope I helped.

Slouch...

Thanx for the report!

carldelo

One Too Many
Tarp hat

I'm not sure whether this recycled tarp hat will appeal to anyone - I saw it in the email flyer from Noggintops yesterday:

Tarp_Hat_2.jpg

The Real Deal Tarp Hat

There is a wire in the brim, but the seams and lettering are apparently random. Not exactly elegant, but it looks tough, at least.

DC3

New in Town
I'll have to agree with some that the T3 Tilley doesn't have alot of style. Yet as one who likes to get out and about with my camera, or do a little local gemstone hunting, the Tilleys performance is second to none, and that really is why I bought it. Mine fits just as advertised by the way, cleans up easily, and packs into any corner of your pack. I also agree that I can find much nicer lids to wear when I travel.
But that's just me....:D

Rick Blaine

windriver.jpg

Dropped the trigger on this 'un... it was 2o% off and w/ free shipping... I'll let ya'll know my impressions. The reported 4.5" crown appealed as it is the highest I have seen in this sort of hat.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
windriver.jpg

Dropped the trigger on this 'un... it was 2o% off and w/ free shipping... I'll let ya'll know my impressions. The reported 4.5" crown appealed as it is the highest I have seen in this sort of hat.
OK, by now I'm guessing you have this new hat. What do you think of it, Rick? Inquiring minds want to know!

Rick Blaine

Blackthorn said:
OK, by now I'm guessing you have this new hat. What do you think of it, Rick? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hey 'thorn, forgive my delay.

THIS IS AN OILCLOTH HAT!!!,

And not a SINGLE retailer (& I looked at 'em all) thought to include THAT little factoid. Very,very disappointing. The color is also far closer to black than the photos would indicate

Now had I WANTED an oilcloth hat, this would be a perfect one, nice wide brim & tall crown, fits true to size, looks great. If I had WANTED oilcloth this'd be a five star item, but I am already the proud owner of two others. Nuts. Now for sale in the Classifieds. Make an offer, you know what I paid.

Rick Blaine

who'd thunk?

Rick Blaine said:

...I gotta shame the devil & tell the truth: THIS IS what I have been lookin' for & no one could be more surprised than me!
No it is not a Montecristi fino, nor a vintage panama, panacool or panna-nuthin'. But it IS a linen/cotton blend w/ lotsa ventilation & it sits on my noggin' as light as a butterflies wing, 2.5" brim (perfect size!) and the brim is malleable to some degree, enough to put a "swoop" in it if'n you care to. The 100% poly sweatband is nice 'cause it is elasticized and I can wear this hat w/ the windows down on the interstate & this sucker stays put. Nothing I could ever say about a leather sweat... the downside- it makes me sweat but anything at these temps (87° today) will do that. And if it blows off into the river & doesn’t stop 'til Tellico Dam... no big deal, it's not a museum piece, not a vintage treasure, it was only fifteen & shipping, almost disposable, eh? I yam as happy as a clam, FYI.
:D

carldelo

One Too Many
Rick, would you mind posting a link to the vendor? That looks like it would make a good kayaking hat, while still maintaining a bit of style. Low cost means not much worry about losing or destroying it as well. Thanks, Carl

HatRak

Familiar Face
Henschel 5220

Best hat I've ever owned for beating the summer heat. The ventilated mesh crown makes the hat feel like you have an air conditioner on your head. The wide brim is fantastic sun protection. The cotton fabric scrubs up in a heartbeat with a little dish soap and Oxi-clean. I've had mine for years (10, maybe more?) wear it till its filthy and sweaty, scrub it down and it looks like I just walked out of the store with it. Can't beat it for $40.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Henschel-5220...92864?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1274749270&sr=1-2

Rick Blaine

HatRak said:
Best hat I've ever owned for beating the summer heat. The ventilated mesh crown makes the hat feel like you have an air conditioner on your head. The wide brim is fantastic sun protection. The cotton fabric scrubs up in a heartbeat with a little dish soap and Oxi-clean. I've had mine for years (10, maybe more?) wear it till its filthy and sweaty, scrub it down and it looks like I just walked out of the store with it. Can't beat it for $40.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Henschel-5220...92864?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1274749270&sr=1-2

Sportsmans Guide has it for twenty dollars! Looks like doggone near the same thing as I got but w/ a wider brim & a better sweat.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:

Had one very similar, Blackthorn. Years back. Perhaps identical. Same natural color. Hatband affixed with glue, alas. Paid much less - $25 is my recollection. Much Orvis stuff is overpriced IMO.

Hemp is wonderful hat material for warm weather. Was out a lot today and wearing my Tilley TH5. Not perhaps as stylish in a fedora way as many here are looking for, but extremely practical in heat and humidity. Needs different shape and perhaps more stiffener to make it swanky - it's just a high-tech hat with natural materials.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
Had one very similar, Blackthorn. Years back. Perhaps identical. Same natural color. Hatband affixed with glue, alas. Paid much less - $25 is my recollection. Much Orvis stuff is overpriced IMO.

Hemp is wonderful hat material for warm weather. Was out a lot today and wearing my Tilley TH5. Not perhaps as stylish in a fedora way as many here are looking for, but extremely practical in heat and humidity. Needs different shape and perhaps more stiffener to make it swanky - it's just a high-tech hat with natural materials.

Tilley makes nice hats, Fluter, but I want something I can roll up in my back pack for 36 hours, then take out and wear, and have it still look all right. Hence the question about the hemp hat. I'd pay that price if it fit right, etc.

Can you roll up that hat numerous times over the years, travel with it in a backpack for long flights, then unroll them and have them get back in shape? If so, I'll get one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic