Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloth/ twill/cotton/linen summer brimed lids

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
Tilley makes nice hats, Fluter, but I want something I can roll up in my back pack for 36 hours, then take out and wear, and have it still look all right. Hence the question about the hemp hat. I'd pay that price if it fit right, etc.

Can you roll up that hat numerous times over the years, travel with it in a backpack for long flights, then unroll them and have them get back in shape? If so, I'll get one.

Hmm, it's a good question! I haven't tried. I have packed these things flat for trips many times but not rolled up. I very much doubt it would hurt it any, even over a long period, but it might not automatically pop back into shape if tightly rolled up. Might require a bit of moisture to get it back exactly as before. It would come back I'm sure but not like magic.

One time in a DC hat shop I was talked into buying a roll-up felt Borsa that the salesman demonstrated - came right back into shape in the store. Very impressive. However, when I did that and left it that way for a while it became pretty mis-shapen. That kind of turned me off of the rolling idea in general. I do use the hemp Tilley for backpacking but usually hang it off the outside of the pack or stow it in the top, under the flap, flattened but not rolled.

Like I said, good question. Not sure I have the definitive answer. But they sure are tough.

- Bill

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
The Tilleys that best withstand rolling, crushing, and other such treatment are those made of Nylantium, like the Airflo.

Compared to the Tilley cotton and hemp hats, this nylon fabric is much smoother to begin with, and it readily returns to that state even after having been wadded up wet all day. The Airflo is, at 4 oz., its lightest weight hat, and bugs can't get throught the mesh at the top as they can through the huge open grommets on the older Tilley designs. Same Hydrofil sweatband, adjustable ties, Velcro pocket in the crown, guarantee, and unrestrained Alex Tilley bull---- as the other Tilleys.

Though pricey--$85 at davidmorgan.com--I got the Airflo Hat with Neck Protector and Insect Shield. I only use the neck protector when I'm hunched forward digging in a flower bed pretending to be an archeaologist unearthing the missing link, but the insect shield is a truly exceptional feature that really works great here in the bug-infested South. Now the mosquitos completely leave my face alone and feed exclusively on my arms and legs!

No Tilley is classy, but the Airflo with NP & IS has all the bells and whistles, defies wrinkling and "squunchiness," and so is the least ugly summer model.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
The Tilleys that best withstand rolling, crushing, and other such treatment are those made of Nylantium, like the Airflo. ///

I can believe all that Mr Alter! I have three of the nylantium versions also - one (a LTM5 airflow) was the first - purchased in Quebec City. I'm sure they'd resist crushing best.

However, there are several reasons I have favored the hemp ones. (1) They are available in a brownish color that I like better - although I now see the "Audobon" synthetic model is available in olive! (2) The material just looks and feels nicer to me. [Note everything is subjective and solely personal preferences so far!] (3) The hats are slightly heavier so they don't tend to become dislodged as easily, but aren't heavy enough to notice. (4) For entirely unexplainable reasons, I've found them to be the coolest hats in hot, humid weather or variable conditions.

Both shed rain acceptably. Not as well as the newer dry-finish lightweight waxed cotton versions, but quite OK for showers or worse. About the coolness part - I could be fooling myself and haven't done A-B comparisons on the same day, so don't take this as gospel. Just my impression.

About the big grommets. If I were going back to northern Minnesota in the bug season, for sure I'd pick a different hat or plug these with corks. I have a photo of myself there with coveralls and a white boonie hat that looked black because it was covered with mosquitoes and blackflies. (Was wearing headnet of course.) You can't imagine it if you haven't been there. But here in Georgia this doesn't seem to be an issue. The grommets are the least of my worries - biters go for other exposed skin.

All a matter of preference, all are good! Looks like the nylantium ones are going for around $60-65 online. Can't go wrong for practicality. Might not be the look you'd want, but I've gotten compliments.

- Bill

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Interesting journey Mr Blaine.

I'm totally with you on the ballence between look and practicality you're chasing. As an occasional hiker and kayaker I've often looked into the cloth hat option but just can't come at that Tilley look (Too much like the sort of thing my Granddad gets around in!) so I always end up in a cap when travel is involved.

The only style I can come at are the oilskins like the one you just dumped. I'm yet to pull the trigger though as I imagine they'd be pretty hot despite the vents.

You said you own a couple of others, what's the verdict?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
Hmm, it's a good question! I haven't tried. I have packed these things flat for trips many times but not rolled up. I very much doubt it would hurt it any, even over a long period, but it might not automatically pop back into shape if tightly rolled up. Might require a bit of moisture to get it back exactly as before. It would come back I'm sure but not like magic.
Wait...you can crush any average Tilley flat for traveling? That would work for me. In January I"m planning a trip to London, and then on to Uganda. It's likely to be cold and rainy in London, but it'll be hot in Uganda, so my fur felt hat that I wear in London won't work there. So I'm trying to find something other than a boonie hat that I can roll up or smash flat, that I can pull into normal shape after arriving in U, and that will be all right in 90 degree weather. If Tilleys can be smashed flat repeatedly and then bounce back into shape, that might be the way to go.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
elvisroe said:
Interesting journey Mr Blaine.

I'm totally with you on the ballence between look and practicality you're chasing. As an occasional hiker and kayaker I've often looked into the cloth hat option but just can't come at that Tilley look (Too much like the sort of thing my Granddad gets around in!) so I always end up in a cap when travel is involved.

The only style I can come at are the oilskins like the one you just dumped. I'm yet to pull the trigger though as I imagine they'd be pretty hot despite the vents.

You said you own a couple of others, what's the verdict?

cottonlinen.jpg

G'day Elvis, I KNEW you were still around! :D

THIS just what I have been lookin' for & no one could be more surprised than me!
A linen/cotton blend w/ lotsa ventilation & it sits on my noggin' quite lightly, 2.5" brim (perfect size!) and the brim is malleable to some degree, enough to put a "swoop" in it if you care to. The 100% poly sweatband is nice 'cause it is elasticized and I can wear this hat w/ the windows down on the interstate & this sucker stays put. Nothing I could ever say about a leather sweat... the downside- it makes me sweat but anything at these temps (87° today) will do that. And if it blows off into the river, it's not a museum piece, not a vintage treasure, it was only fifteen & shipping, almost disposable, eh? In addition I have put two coats of campdry, a silicone free water repellent & it doesn't seem to have affected the fabric one bit. Found on eBay & Amazon & a few lesser know auction sites.
DPC_Cloth.jpg

'got this one too, not as happy. Too bloody low & unstructured. I am looking to get one of the afore mentioned mesh sided Henchals as well.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Blackthorn said:
Wait...you can crush any average Tilley flat for traveling? That would work for me. In January I"m planning a trip to London, and then on to Uganda. It's likely to be cold and rainy in London, but it'll be hot in Uganda, so my fur felt hat that I wear in London won't work there. So I'm trying to find something other than a boonie hat that I can roll up or smash flat, that I can pull into normal shape after arriving in U, and that will be all right in 90 degree weather. If Tilleys can be smashed flat repeatedly and then bounce back into shape, that might be the way to go.
Yup! Tilleys can be flattened for years and and more or less pop back into shape. In fact it's near impossible to knock a Tilley out of shape, and I know, I've spent years trying. For me, it's one of their best qualities, portability/packability.
I was drawn to this thread because I was looking to buy an alternative summer/work/wet weather lid, and also wanted to avoid the 'bourgoise tourist' look, so I was looking for something to replace my T4. But after reading everyones' comments, I think I'll stick with Tilley. If I want a cloth hat, then Tilley is it when it comes to durability, quality and design. It costs a little more, but that's to be expected, barring loss or theft a Tilley will last for years.

P.S. Bill- I had a Tilley Hemp. Great material, liked the colour, perfect summer lid, but the crown was just a little too wrinkly, the brim a little too floppy, all in all it was just a little too casual. I mean I know they're meant to be casual, but not THAT casual. So it's back to the cotton duck original.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
byronic said:
P.S. Bill- I had a Tilley Hemp. Great material, liked the colour, perfect summer lid, but the crown was just a little too wrinkly, the brim a little too floppy, all in all it was just a little too casual. I mean I know they're meant to be casual, but not THAT casual. So it's back to the cotton duck original.

Know whatcha mean!

I tamed that a good deal with Scotchgard. Might have used Scouts stiffener if I had any. But the waterproofing, heavily applied, didn't close up any pores, made it very water repellent, and stiffened up the unstructured sides a good deal. Then again, I can tolerate some floppy if it works well!

- Bill

byronic

One of the Regulars
I agree about the 'floppy' Bill, but you must bear in mind that I am the kind of guy who can put on a freshly pressed suit and five minutes later look like a scarecrow run over by a tractor. So I don't need any more wrinkles or floppy than is necessary. I need something that holds it shape and stays wrinkle-free, and that goes for my shirts too. I'm a wrinkle magnet. lol

Rick Blaine

New Canidates

On my never ending quest for a summer lid I have succumbed to two other possibilities;

mesh.jpg

Henschel hats $17 USD delivered from TSG w/ a coupon for $10 off.

IJMesh.jpg

The legendary IJ mesh hat 2.5" brim
4.5" - 5" Crown- depending on which retailer you think is telling the truth.

$24 delivered as 'buddy-n-patches" were having a 50% off sale on eBay last week.

Rick Blaine

Questing on

For that elusive non-panama cloth summer hat. Today I ordered these two, both from "co-ver" hat co:

cotton-linenfedora.jpg

45% linen %55 cotton

twillfedora.jpg

100% cotton twill.

The search continues...

Rick Blaine

Report: Cov-ver Hats

For that elusive non-panama cloth summer hat. Today I ordered these two, both from "co-ver" hat co:

cotton-linenfedora.jpg

45% linen %55 cotton

twillfedora.jpg

100% cotton twill.

The search continues...

Well, the above arrived today and are viable contenders , I think.

A couple of nits to pick tho':

Firstly , The " Cov-ver Hats Y1040 Linen And Cotton Safari Fedora" which was touted on EVERY website, including that of the the manufacturer as "45% linen 55% cotton with a 2 1/2" brim" was tagged in fact, as "100% Hemp" ("Dave's not here, man") and has a 2 1/4" brim...[huh] Maybe these guys are smoking the raw material!

Secondly, the "Cov-ver Hats T1015 Heavy Cotton Twill Safari Fedora" is in reality lighter than the hemp/linen/cotton (?) lid. And rather than sporting a 2 3/4" brim, it has a much more proportional, pleasing & appropriate 2 1/2" brim.

What IS it with these guys that they can't seem to get the very basics of a product description right? Amateur night in Dixie, eh?

That said, I DO like 'em both, FWIW. ;) Let's see how they fare in the real world. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Rick, I have one of those Henschel Breezers with a 3" brim. It's my mowing and yard work hat and I don't wear it out and about much. The mesh crown really does keep the head cooler while protecting from the sun and I imagine it makes the weight lighter than those without the mesh. The chin strap helps keep it in place on windy days. I wouldn't mind having one with a narrower brim for casual wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic