Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar up?

gfirob

Familiar Face
Thanks

A lot of good thoughts on this. It does occur to me that it's always cold in the winter (at least where I live) and too warm to wear these in the summer, so there is a good excuse to be functional (no affectation there) and sharp looking at the same time.

But I do think that jackets with a double-breasted feel to the color (like the Bootlegger) just seem to be more natural turned up, as is the case with a trench-coat. At the same time, they call more attention to themselves, but why have a heavy leather jacket unless you are calling attention to yourself?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Rob

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Mav said:
Affectation unless the weather is severe.

No offence fella but don't you think that affectation is half of what this site is about ? One might argue that your avatar is 'affected' ! ;)

We are all Dandies of one sort or another on here. We try to look a little 'different' in some way and often put a great deal of thought into how we look when we venture outside. We hope some people will think we look cool but know that others will think 'poseur', especially with hats as they are not a common accessory these days. We don't care.

As soon as we put more than cursory thought into how we look we are 'affected'. Collars are the least of any affectation I can think of . :rolleyes:

Dave

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
CopperNY said:
if there is wind or rain, i'll turn the collar up.
That sums it up for me. I'm just not cool or stylish enough to pull off the popped collar look.:( lol

Biker+chic(k)+5.jpg

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
So who's going to tell Jimmy Dean or Brando or any of the tens of thousands of young aircrew who wore their collars up for swagger that they are/were 'affected' ?

Anyone want to tell Bogart he was 'affected' for wearing his trenchcoat collar up or having his hat at a non-sensible angle ?

The idea is to do what you want to do and screw what anybody else thinks. Isn't that the whole rebel thing ? Not necessarily doing something because it's 'sensible' or 'practical' but coz ya want to ? That's my philosophy !!!! :p

Dave

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Dudleydoright said:
The idea is to do what you want to do and screw what anybody else thinks. Isn't that the whole rebel thing ? Not necessarily doing something because it's 'sensible' or 'practical' but coz ya want to ? That's my philosophy !!!! :p

Dave

Sssshhhh ... settle! :p

Although I don't agree with calling 'collar up' affectatious (I do it all the time, even in summer because I HATE a bare neck), i do think you made your point clear in your first reply :D lol

Peacoat

Bartender
We had this exact discussion before. It might have been in a different section of the Lounge, though. There, opinions became heated, and some of the comments got a little testy. I haven't looked at this thread until now because of the unpleasant experience the last time the question was raised.

Let's calm down and keep our comments civil. It isn't a topic that is worth going to battle over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR