Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CR jacket with diamond quilted shoulders

I love the look of quilted shoulders and elbows but I think it works best on a slim physique...If you're broad across the shoulders it might look like a bit too much, not so much with a Thedi, which appears to have more drape out of the box, but a super stiff leather like a Vanson or Langlitz, even without those quilted details, can look comical when new. I do think those quilted details add quite a bit of character to a jacket.

I guess I could see why some would not care for it, but I have a lot of riding friends that wear jackets like this and I'm probably just used to it. Once I saw the two-tone Thedi that Carrie posted, I was sunk.
Not for everyone - thank god - right? Just like everything else here...
I'm with you. I love the cut, the two tone, every aspect is tops.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Highwayman Leathers in the UK ( part of the Lewis Stable of brands prior to the use of the name by The Transatlantic Clothing Company) did some OUTSTANDING quilted leather finished M/C jackets .... their Ricarde Deluxe that they did for Rivetts was a much sought after jacket in the 70's and 80's in motorcycling circles.

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/museum/hwy01.htm

There was a definite trend for "Cafe racers" with the mandirin collar yet the lancer style zip from the mid-late 60's in the UK, a style trend I believe they aquired from the USA e.g. Langlitz Cascade in the early - mid 60's .... not sure where it exactly originated ( so manty conflicting claims of origin ) but it is still one of the most practical and functional M/C jacket designs ever. The lancer style zip offered wind protection, it had the look of the W collar jackets while the practicallity of the mandarin collar re. interferance with helmets ( unlike the US .. helmets have been compulsory from 1973).

I have to say a mint Highwayman Ricarde Deluxe would be one of my holy grail jackets in a 42/44 :)

Last edited:
One of the things that can make this pattern look unappealing is the quality of the leather. MANY of the jacket's I've seen have been made with a thinner, shiny and cheap looking hide. Check out those Thedi pics and see the difference. Meh guess is that once you see a good one worn in, it will be more attractive to others here. I will take on the challenge - after I meet the first challenge of stealing the money from the tooth fairy or something...

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I was sent a Thedi Cafe Racer as a fit jacket for the Thedi Shawl Collar jacket. I'm not a fan of the quilting (as it reminds me of the old padded shoulder sportcoats), but the Thedi quality was very impressive. It fit like a glove and my 16 year old photographer daughter told me , "you should keep that one, Dad!" BTW - I'm going to size up a bit with my shawl collar to give me room for a sweater/sweatshirt.
DSC_0006_2.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

I was sent a Thedi Cafe Racer as a fit jacket for the Thedi Shawl Collar jacket. I'm not a fan of the quilting (as it reminds me of the old padded shoulder sportcoats), but the Thedi quality was very impressive. It fit like a glove and my 16 year old photographer daughter told me , "you should keep that one, Dad!" BTW - I'm going to size up a bit with my shawl collar to give me room for a sweater/sweatshirt.
DSC_0006_2.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg
Dude. You sent that back??!? But I hear you. I love that shawl collared number too. But good grief man that jacket looks like it was poured over you. In a good way!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Dude. You sent that back??!? But I hear you. I love that shawl collared number too. But good grief man that jacket looks like it was poured over you. In a good way!

It was really comfortable too. The shoulders seemed a little tight, but I think that may be because of the quilted padding - not the width itself. It was pretty sweet, but didn't fit with my Honda Civic. Might scare the kids at the day care.

It was really comfortable too. The shoulders seemed a little tight, but I think that may be because of the quilted padding - not the width itself. It was pretty sweet, but didn't fit with my Honda Civic. Might scare the kids at the day care.
Hey brother with a jacket like that you could jump out of a pink Prius and people would still be like "Damn. Respect"

Plumbline

One Too Many
Yup .. lots to like ... sleeve zips on sleeve top, 2 way zip ( and not a No.6), "proper" overlap collar, yoke alignment with sleeve seam, 2 part sleeve, tapered cut ........ all good ... I'm starting to REALLY like what Thedi are doing ... that little bit of uniqueness makes all the difference :)

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm loving my Thedi Phoenix. I think of it as a modernised J-100.

What has surprised me the most is its my wives favourite jacket....by far.

I'm sure most of us can relate to a very distinct apathy to this obsession from our significant others, from not too subtle eye rolls to flat out "I just don't understand this jacket thing" and "just pick one, its not a fashion show" comments lol

For whatever reason though, she actually "likes" the Thedi. I think this is the first one in years that arrived and didn't get the "why do you need another jacket" comment.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Highwayman Leathers in the UK ( part of the Lewis Stable of brands prior to the use of the name by The Transatlantic Clothing Company) did some OUTSTANDING quilted leather finished M/C jackets .... their Ricarde Deluxe that they did for Rivetts was a much sought after jacket in the 70's and 80's in motorcycling circles.

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/museum/hwy01.htm

There was a definite trend for "Cafe racers" with the mandirin collar yet the lancer style zip from the mid-late 60's in the UK, a style trend I believe they aquired from the USA e.g. Langlitz Cascade in the early - mid 60's .... not sure where it exactly originated ( so manty conflicting claims of origin ) but it is still one of the most practical and functional M/C jacket designs ever. The lancer style zip offered wind protection, it had the look of the W collar jackets while the practicallity of the mandarin collar re. interferance with helmets ( unlike the US .. helmets have been compulsory from 1973).

I have to say a mint Highwayman Ricarde Deluxe would be one of my holy grail jackets in a 42/44 :)

I'm selling a mint TT leathers version of the Ricarde de luxe on eBay at the moment - 42/44 chest, gold satin lining.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252376260917

It's also posted in the classified section

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy