Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current USAF Issue A-2s

garzo

One of the Regulars
Many A-2 makers claim to be official A-2 suppliers. The companies you mention above are the only producers who have had military contracts since the A-2 was reintroduced in 1988. U S Wings has not. Their jackets are strictly civilian.

AF

Wait, doesn't U.S. Wings own Cooper? Isn't that how they came to be, buy taking over Cooper? Is it possible that US Wings still has the Cooper label as an official military supplier while its own US Wings brand is sold to the general public?

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
Wait, doesn't U.S. Wings own Cooper? Isn't that how they came to be, buy taking over Cooper? Is it possible that US Wings still has the Cooper label as an official military supplier while its own US Wings brand is sold to the general public?

Despite that US Wings acquired Cooper, that doesn't change the fact that US Wings has never supplied to the USAF. It's more that US Wings acquired a company that used to supply the DoD.

That's like saying that Boeing used to manufacture the F-4 Phantom.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Despite that US Wings acquired Cooper, that doesn't change the fact that US Wings has never supplied to the USAF. It's more that US Wings acquired a company that used to supply the DoD.

I never said US Wings used to supply the military with jackets. It seemed from reading some of the above posts that there was still a "Cooper" brand being supplied to the military, which I think is not the case at all. I think I just misread or was confused by the use of present-tense grammar, or the fact that a lot of airmen currently wear "old" Cooper jackets.
Obviously if the Cooper label still existed and new Cooper jackets were being supplied to the military, they would obviously be from US Wings. I had read somewhere that US Wings was reviving the Cooper label for a new Indiana Jones jacket, which of course has nothing to do with Air Force contracts.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Cooper never supplied A-2s to the military under the Cooper label....or never that I know of. Cooper supplied A-2s under the Saddlery label. There were two contracts, one in 1988 (the first A-2 contract since WWII), and then another contract 1996. I understand that orange label Coopers occasionally appear on e-bay with Velcro receivers attached to them, but I'm of the opinion that they were not issued by the military. I think they are more likely private purchase jackets. And possibly squadrons purchased them to have on hand if needed. Put it this way...I've never seen an orange label Cooper with a DLA or SPO number, but if someone can show me a photo of such an animal, I'll change my opinion.

Oddly enough, during the same era, Cooper did supply G-1s to the Navy under the Cooper label. I know of at least one such contract in 1992.

AF

HackerF15E

Familiar Face
Cooper never supplied A-2s to the military under the Cooper label....or never that I know of. Cooper supplied A-2s under the Saddlery label.

Says pretty clearly on the white tag of the 88 A-2 that I own, "Cooper Sportswear Mfg Co, Inc".

Your argument is like saying, "General Motors never built a Corvette...Chevrolet did".

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Says pretty clearly on the white tag of the 88 A-2 that I own, "Cooper Sportswear Mfg Co, Inc".

Your argument is like saying, "General Motors never built a Corvette...Chevrolet did".

No, I actually haven't presented an argument. I never said that Cooper didn't provide A-2s to the military. No question about it, Cooper did. I said they didn't do so under the Cooper label. Instead, they used the Saddlery label. There were two Saddlery contracts, one in 88 and one in 96...and there were no other Cooper A-2 contracts with the military. Further, neither of the Saddlery contracts had anything to do with US Wings, and US Wings isn't a supplier of A-2s to the US military by virtue of buying Cooper.

AF

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hi guys. I actually got an email reply from Cockpit. The way they explain it is that they used imported leather (with final manufacturing in the USA) until 2006 when the "Berry Amendment" required USA born & bred goatskins only.

They actually said that their imported goatskins are/were of much better quality than the USA skins??? (I guess they grow better goats in the middle east). Anyway, they currently use USA skins for the issue jackets and the "nicer" imported goatskins for the commercial jackets (not their call).

Regards,

Mitch

I suspect it's not the goats themselves that are the problem but the way the goatskin is treated and processed. Some of the Cockpit issue jackets have that plastic-vinyl look and I'm willing to bet its the way leathers are processed in the US. I had a Gibson & Barnes goatskin once that I was not very fond of for that same reason -- the leather did not look or feel real. It felt like a dense synthetic material. I think the industrial processing methods fortify the leathers to such an extent that they actually turn plastic-like. It may make the leather more durable and long-lasting and waterproof but it also strips it of its organic character, which is one thing people love so much about the Aero skins -- they still look, feel and smell like leather.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
F4b

No, but they did make the best looking F4 of all times!
F4B2.jpg

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
Not sure where this fits into the mix, I believe this fits most correctly into the catagory of "modern" A2's.

My cooper orange label marked "Cooper defense contract division", bearing a CSN on the white tag (So a civilian marketed jacket).

Jacket has a one piece back with side panels, but no underarm gussets. Has flap pockets, no hand-warmers, and no inside pocket. Sleeves have one piece backs.

I like the look and the fit better than my 90's issue G1 (especially since I got old and fat) - so while its not a "correct" current issue jacket, or a "properly cut" WWII A2 as I understand it, it works for me:

222813_1690374584615_1395261571_31408519_3310609_n.jpg

227623_1690374944624_1395261571_31408520_5850395_n.jpg

222828_1690375104628_1395261571_31408521_8081274_n.jpg

222918_1690375224631_1395261571_31408522_4657149_n.jpg

Edit: my issue jacket was a G1, not a G2. I had A2 on the mind it seems..

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That's a really nice A-2, TheBeak! It does look like it fits, not too baggy or tight. This is definitely one of the better fitting modern A-2 jackets I've seen. Is Cooper still a good quality company, and are they particularly expensive?

It fits well and looks good, but having seen some recent Coopers, and buying three USWings jackets this month, I can tell you I think the USW are superior in quality. Just my preference, everyone likes different qualities in a jacket. But on him, it's a perfect fit for sure, and looks great.

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, I like it, and the quality is first rate compared to some other A2's I've seen, but I haven't had my hands on some of the "better" brands out there so its hard to compare.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Cooper never supplied A-2s to the military under the Cooper label....or never that I know of. Cooper supplied A-2s under the Saddlery label. There were two contracts, one in 1988 (the first A-2 contract since WWII), and then another contract 1996. I understand that orange label Coopers occasionally appear on e-bay with Velcro receivers attached to them, but I'm of the opinion that they were not issued by the military. I think they are more likely private purchase jackets. And possibly squadrons purchased them to have on hand if needed. Put it this way...I've never seen an orange label Cooper with a DLA or SPO number, but if someone can show me a photo of such an animal, I'll change my opinion.

Oddly enough, during the same era, Cooper did supply G-1s to the Navy under the Cooper label. I know of at least one such contract in 1992.

AF
back in 88/89 Bxs across the world ( not all of them mind you) were selling orange tag Coopers with the name tag velcro on them, I think they were around 120.00. I bought one and wore it during recruiting duty. My CC knew but made it clear that if he ever caught me....LOL good guy Army guys hated me for wearing it.....

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Hi Hackerf15e

I saw your post about A-2 jacket, and may be you can help me, I'm looking for an 92' issue A-2 jacket from Orchard, I've hear they are better quality and wwII style than coopers and the other brands, and I really their style, but I' ve been told there are some new A-2 production from Orchard that even have the 92' milspec tag but they are lesser quality than the authentics 92 issue...
So I'd like to know how to spot an authentic 92' Orchard from the new productions.. and what are the differences between those two jackets.

This is the jacket from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320734497606&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thank you very much for your time

Regards

Jorge

Jorgeaguilera

One of the Regulars
Hi
May be you can help me, I'm looking for an 92' issue A-2 jacket from Orchard, I've hear they are better quality and wwII style than coopers and the other brands, and I really their style, but I' ve been told there are some new A-2 production from Orchard that even have the 92' milspec tag but they are lesser quality than the authentics 92 issue...
So I'd like to know how to spot an authentic 92' Orchard from the new productions.. and what are the differences between those two jackets.

Jackets from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320734497606&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380358402993&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320735340640&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT
Thank you very much for your time

Regards

Jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot