Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customer experiences with Aero Leather

tbirdfan

New in Town
I just got a call from my dealer, my jacket is ready to be picked up. I ordered it late June, waiting was not to bad for me. I ordered a Teamster in brown FQHH. Hope everything was done as ordered, will pick it up later today.

JLStorm

Practically Family
My new jacket and my B3 I sent back for some additional work should be shipped next week at some point from what Amanda mentioned the other day. If this is true then the total time from order till shipment would be about 17 weeks. We shall see if this timeline holds up. Im itching to get them both, but at the same time, its at least another month before its cold enough to wear them regularly.

JLStorm

Practically Family
My two Aero's shipped out today! Im a little concerned on the package weight, so I will have to see when it comes in. I had horsehide overlays added to my entire B3. The original package with just the B3 weighed 3.5kg, now the overlayed B3 and a heavy steerhide jacket (which is a cross between a cheyenne & highwayman) shipped with a package weight of 5kg. It seems quite a bit light, as the B3 should weight at least 4 kg on its own now. Aero assured me that both jackets were in there...so either the weight is wrong, or my new jacket only weighs about 1kg...which doesnt seem right.

I forget how long their parcels take to get to the USA, clear customs, and get to me...but I'll let you all know when it gets here.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Without wishing to stifle debate, I'd say it's best to ask Aero how they've packed it. Ask if the two jackets are packed in the same parcel, then ask if the postage is correct. [huh] :)

JLStorm

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
Without wishing to stifle debate, I'd say it's best to ask Aero how they've packed it. Ask if the two jackets are packed in the same parcel, then ask if the postage is correct. [huh] :)

They are packed in the same box, Aero is paying the shipping charge, as the B3 sleeve length was too long which they also repaired, so they agreed to cover return shipping...I have no idea how much shipping cost.

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
tbirdfan said:
I just got a call from my dealer, my jacket is ready to be picked up. I ordered it late June, waiting was not to bad for me. I ordered a Teamster in brown FQHH. Hope everything was done as ordered, will pick it up later today.

hi,

given it's a teamster and that you are from Bavaria, I guess you got it at Gasoline Alley? Can you post a few pics of your new aquisition?
I have been considering this model too and there aren't too many pictures around.
Thanks!

JLStorm

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
JLStorm, if Aero is paying the shipping and both items are being dispatched in one package, what's the problem?

Im worried that the package weight is listed as 5kg. There is no way both jackets should weigh any less than 8kg together. Im worried that when it hits customs the difference will be noted and its going to be held up.

jac

Familiar Face
My 2 cents;

All good things take time, and you can always get crap in a hurry.

jac

Familiar Face
I ordered my Aero end o' May, and it showed up today right on schedule.
Mark is excellent to deal with, and I was glad he's here.

Anyone who's ever dealt with international purchasing and shipping should be familiar with what an enormous P.I.T.A. it can be between customs, tracking and snotty postal reps. If you want to subject yourself to that, go for it.

I think it's a luxury to have someone to absolve me of the headaches.

Incidentally, my coat is a perfect fit and I couldn't be happier.

Perfect!

bbc1969

Familiar Face
While still being patient, I am beginning to wonder just how the orders are "triaged". I ordered in early March, and am now seeing other customers (including those here in the U.S.) who have taken delivery.

I am perplexed. I am sure they have jackets that are harder to make, take more time than others. But would the Highwayman be one of these?

I was perfectly happy when told that sales were brisk and normal delivery times would slip, and to expect up to a 12 week wait. But it is now nearly double that and six months will be around the corner in the coming week.

Is the key to order from Aero direct and bypass the U.S. Rep? Mark has been great to deal with. I have only emailed him twice for updates in the past 6 months. The first time I was told "I expect yours to ship just before they go on holidays", and the second (last week) was "I am checking orders and trying to get a list of whose jackets they have actually produced or are about to finish".

After laying out 500 bucks or so, I don't think it unreasonable to have inquired twice in six months when stated delivery times have slipped.

Is anyone out there over the six months waiting for a standard jacket that they offer?

Nizdar

New in Town
jac said:
I ordered my Aero end o' May, and it showed up today right on schedule.

Anyone who's ever dealt with international purchasing and shipping should be familiar with what an enormous P.I.T.A. it can be between customs, tracking and snotty postal reps. If you want to subject yourself to that, go for it.

I think it's a luxury to have someone to absolve me of the headaches.

Incidentally, my coat is a perfect fit and I couldn't be happier.

Perfect!

I ordered a very slightly modified highwayman in mid FEBRUARY. So....yeah. We are now approaching seven months. The idea of not having the jacket for the cold weather it was intended for never really occurred to me when I ordered it. I figured I was leaving plenty of time to send it back in case it didn't fit right. Alas, fall approaches in the the big apple.

I haven't e-mailed Mark too many times for updates, but it is a bit like having loaned someone money. They never contact you on their own initiative, and every estimate about when the transaction will be finished turns out to be wrong. On August 14th, he said it should be among jackets that are being finished and shipped in the next two weeks. We are approaching the outer reaches of that estimate as well.

I honestly am not angry at Mark here. Of course, I don't exactly know who I should be annoyed at, not knowing how this supply chain works. (For all you law fans out there, this does strike me as a good opportunity to apply the concept of Res ipsa loquitur).

Just a little venting, no interest in being bitter. It would be quite nice if he got it in tomorrow's shipment, though.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
bbc1969 said:
Is anyone out there over the six months waiting for a standard jacket that they offer?

Take comfort, you're not alone. My Highwayman was about 25 weeks from order submittal to delivery.

Aero Highwayman tagged size 40, FQHH, brown, no bi-swing back, interior gun pockets, brown alpaca lining

1. Purchased: late Nov 2008
2. Ordered: Dec 2, 2008
3. From: Aero USA
4. Manufactured: May 18, 2009 (per the tag inside the jacket pocket)
5. Received: Jun 8, 2009

I am at 9 weeks on my Veste de Rallye (ordered late June 2009) and I do not expect to see it before October at the earliest!

JLStorm

Practically Family
I dont think you can possibly get better service than going straight to the source. I have ordered 2 jackets from Aero and have almost 200 emails full of questions, answers, customizations, requests for clarification, etc; the communication is unbelievable. Plus, if you pick up the phone, you will talk right to them, not an order taker or reseller, but to the person making your jacket. Im sure Mark is great, but for highly customized stuff, he even says to go direct.

As tar as time for mine.
  • 1 highly customized and custom sized jacket that has aspects of a highway man and a cheyenne.
  • additional overlays to my B3/ANJ4 hibred that required taking apart the entire jacket and sewing it together again. Sleeve shortening.

I was told 10 weeks for the new jacket back on May 8th, with an unkown time for the repairs on the old jacket. The new jacket was done last week which was 15 weeks including the 3 weeks they were closed. So in total 12 weeks for jacket production and one week for the repair/alteration. I cant complain on the time line.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
My order was submitted and paid for on April 6th, a halfbelt in seal brown jerky horsehide, with some minor modifications. I was told "fall delivery". I won't need it for a few more weeks, it is still in the 80's here, but I hope it comes soon. :)

tbirdfan

New in Town
eClairvaux said:
hi,

given it's a teamster and that you are from Bavaria, I guess you got it at Gasoline Alley? Can you post a few pics of your new aquisition?
I have been considering this model too and there aren't too many pictures around.
Thanks!

Yep, I bought it at Gasoline Alley. I'm very happy with my new jacket, Burkhard from Gasoline Alley made the right suggestions. I will take some pictures and post them here within this week.
Thanks

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
jac said:

Anyone who's ever dealt with international purchasing and shipping should be familiar with what an enormous P.I.T.A. it can be between customs, tracking and snotty postal reps. If you want to subject yourself to that, go for it.Perfect!

For the record...Having recently done two returns to Aero and received two coats from Aero, I have to say that I strongly disagree with you about international purchasing and shipping being an enormous P.I.T.A. For me the shipping was as simple as an regular trip to the U.S.P.O. and the receiving was the same. If going to the post office is your idea of an enormous P.I.T.A. then I can't disagree but otherwise I didn't have a problem. To each his own...

Unless there is a significant savings involved with dealing with Mark, I see absolutely no reason to not go directly to Aero.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Southernwayfare said:
For the record...Having recently done two returns to Aero and received two coats from Aero, I have to say that I strongly disagree with you about international purchasing and shipping being an enormous P.I.T.A. For me the shipping was as simple as an regular trip to the U.S.P.O. and the receiving was the same. If going to the post office is your idea of an enormous P.I.T.A. then I can't disagree but otherwise I didn't have a problem. To each his own...

Unless there is a significant savings involved with dealing with Mark, I see absolutely no reason to not go directly to Aero.

There are some benefits and drawbacks in dealing with Mark from what I can tell. I have spoken to him a few times, but ultimately chose to go through Aero. Depending on the exchange rate he can be cheaper or more expensive. He does not charge for shipping, which is a huge savings now that Aero charges to ship to the USA again. Currently, its about $85.00 cheaper to get a highwayman from Mark due to the weekening dollar value against the british pound and the free shipping.

On the other hand, it does seem that ordering through Mark may delay delivery time and he does not handle extreme customizations. An additional drawback is that if you are dealing with any customizations, he adds another channel in the line of communication which may enhance the chance of error. Additionally, he switched from air to ground shipping, which may or may not bother some.

I personally am more than happy to go right to the source. I think thats part of the special nature of ordering from Aero, I can talk to the person who will actually make my jacket and get more information regarding the details than anyone else could give. I very much enjoy not dealing with a middle man or retailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy