Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D.O.A.

havershaw

Practically Family
I just saw this last night...not tons of hats in it, but the hat which the main character wears is GREAT...nice tall crown, no taper, teardrop drown. Too bad he leaves it in a doctor's office.

I just checked out my DVD of it again and did some freeze-framing...looks like it's a Royal Stetson.

The movie is pretty good, too, if you like film noir-type stuff.

I also got 'The Thin Man' on DVD, which I'd never seen before - that was great too!

mmarosy

One of the Regulars
You had me worried for a minute thinking you might've been talking about the Dennis Quaid remake... which unfortunately is the only version I've seen. Nary a fedora in site.

Mike

havershaw

Practically Family

Ren,
Be cautious of which version you get. I guess the title is in public domain, so there are a lot of really cheap versions out there with transfers that look like the Zapruder film. I got the Image version - and it looks great (no extras, but it looks great).

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Re: .

Originally posted by havershaw
Ren,
Be cautious of which version you get. I guess the title is in public domain, so there are a lot of really cheap versions out there with transfers that look like the Zapruder film. I got the Image version - and it looks great (no extras, but it looks great).

Can you post a link to the RIGHT version on Amazon? I only saw one DVD version.

havershaw

Practically Family
DOA DVD

no problem:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_7/002-3265653-8832828?v=glance&s=dvd

I didn't see a whole lot of the other versions on this on there, so maybe Amazon doesn't carry the crappy ones.

The movie was made in 1950. I don't think any of the actors in it are A-list actors - Edmond O'Brien, Pamela Britton, Beverly Garland. I never heard of any of them, anyway.

I'm just sort of getting into a lot of the old film noir-type stuff. I got a whole slew of DVDs in the last couple of weeks, but I haven't really had time to watch them yet. I have this week off, so I hope to have a little film festival.

Tmac

New in Town
Edmond O'brien was mainly a character actor, although he had a fair number of leading roles in the 40's. D.O.A was his best effort IHMO, but I really enjoyed him as the newspaper editor in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence", and his role in "The Wild Bunch.

havershaw

Practically Family

ah...I figured he had to be in some other things, but I couldn't recall.

I saw 'The Wild Bunch' in a theater five or so years ago...I recall I took a date to it. the girl was the very gentle, shy girl who was very artsy and intellectual. Then I take her to this shoot-'em-up! I guess I really didnt' know much about the film (or her) before I made the plans...I don't think we went out again.

Feraud

Bartender
If any thread in The Moving Picture section deserve to be revived this is it!
This is a great Noir pic that is in dire need of remastering and a grand release .
"I want to report a murder".
"Who was murdered?"
"Me."
So starts the journey of a man who is poisoned and chooses to find his murderers before his time is up.
NOIR_DISC3-4.jpg

NOIR_DISC3-31.jpg

If you have not seen this film it is about time you did.

Feraud

Bartender
I have D.O.A. on a 9 Noir dvd set but the quality is not very good. This film needs the "royal treatment". I guess it will not happen until someone decides to remake it(again). :rolleyes:

The new Bogey book is excellent! :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
If any thread in The Moving Picture section deserve to be revived this is it!
This is a great Noir pic that is in dire need of remastering and a grand release .
"I want to report a murder".
"Who was murdered?"
"Me."
So starts the journey of a man who is poisoned and chooses to find his murderers before his time is up.
NOIR_DISC3-4.jpg

NOIR_DISC3-31.jpg

If you have not seen this film it is about time you did.

And it needs to be revived, again...

Great assortment of actors/actresses (including the sultry Laurette Luez, and one of the first by Neville Brand, [and incredibly psycho-ish]), top-nothc lighting and direction, taut script, and great hats...One of my favorite from the time period.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
When my wife and i visited the Bradbury Building, which is featured prominently in D.O.A., a couple of years ago, I purposely took a spill in the lobby, just as Edmond O'Brien does in the movie.

My wife got the joke, bless her heart, even if the building's security guard didn't.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
When my wife and i visited the Bradbury Building, which is featured prominently in D.O.A., a couple of years ago, I purposely took a spill in the lobby, just as Edmond O'Brien does in the movie.

My wife got the joke, bless her heart, even if the building's security guard didn't.

That is funny! I wish I could re-create the scene when he enters City Hall via the front steps, but those are off-limits now to the general public.:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn