Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dare to Dream: Your "Ultimate" Leather Jacket

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, but picking up what to wear each day, getting dressed, worrying about combinations, colors, etc... It's all sooo tedious. And useless. Nobody notices, nobody cares. I really hope to one day embrace Einstein's theory on clothes in practice and not just in theory. Having 10 leather jackets isn't helping, though. . .

So true. It is tedious and nobody else notices or cares. On the other hand, we don't do it so that somebody else will notice, or because somebody else cares. Rather, we do it because we notice and we care. The infinitesimal details and obscure distinctions that dominate our discussions are imperceptible to the average person (and appropriately so). However, if we are aware of, notice and care about these esoteric details, and we derive some form of pleasure from integrating this knowledge into our clothing selections, thats all that matters, even if our sublime ensembles are never noticed by anyone else. That said, I agree that life would be a whole lot simpler if I had a fixed uniform that I wore everyday without consideration of options. I think thats called prison. :p

So true. It is tedious and nobody else notices or cares. On the other hand, we don't do it so that somebody else will notice, or because somebody else cares. Rather, we do it because we notice and we care. The infinitesimal details and obscure distinctions that dominate our discussions are imperceptible to the average person (and appropriately so). However, if we are aware of, notice and care about these esoteric details, and we derive some form of pleasure from integrating this knowledge into our clothing selections, thats all that matters, even if our sublime ensembles are never noticed by anyone else.

Yeah, that's true. It still makes me happy, jackets and all, I guess. Happier than most other stuff. So doing it has got to be worth something. True.

I think thats called prison. :p

That though... I often feel I'd be a lot happier not having to worry about clothes at all. I was when I didn't. I think people liked me more. They'd often say "I wish I had your attitude toward clothes...". Didn't understand it at the time.

Robert Crumb did a few series of short comics on collecting old vinyl records. I think he was into records same we're into jackets, possibly worse... But the way he described it, it sooo damn spot on I found it near painful to read.

Stupid obsessions.

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
Happiness is overrated. To be honest, I'm much more concerned with the thirst for knowledge and pursuit of excellence. Because in knowledge and excellence, that's where the really good stuff lies.

Superfluous

I often feel I'd be a lot happier not having to worry about clothes at all. I was when I didn't.

The benefits of school uniforms: https://www.summitacademyschools.org/apps/pages/school-uniform-benefits

Below are seven reasons why we feel school uniforms benefit our students, their families, and our teachers in creating a positive learning environment:
  1. Reduces distractions
Uniforms help remove distractions in the classroom by creating common ground for everyone; students can focus on their academics rather than on what they and others are wearing.
  1. Improves community and school spirit
Students wearing clothing in school colors with the school mascot creates a unified community, reduces competition among students, and improves school spirit.
  1. Helps prevent bullying
Many students feel pressure to wear stylish clothes to school. And, parents often feel the economic pressure to provide their children with clothing that reflects the most current fashion trends. Therefore, students who do not wear the latest and greatest, may feel left out, criticized, or even bullied by their peers. School uniforms reduce economic and social barriers between students that often leads to bullying.
  1. Prevents on-campus violence
Clothing that displays any form of vulgarity or gang reference encourages hostility, which sidetracks students from their education and positively participating in school activities. School uniforms eliminate inappropriate clothing from entering the learning environment and provides administrators a way to identify unwelcomed visitors on campus.
  1. Streamlines morning routines
Mornings are hectic enough without having to decide what to wear. Schools with a school uniform policy, have students who can get ready for school quickly and have time to eat breakfast and organize for a successful day.
  1. Lowers clothing costs
Buying the latest clothing trends to prepare their children for school, parents spend an average of $231 per child, per year (National Retail Federation). However, the average cost of school uniforms per child, per year, was $150 or less (National Association of Elementary School Principals).
  1. Encourages other ways to express oneself
Because self-expression is important to us, and we want to encourage ways students can appropriately demonstrate their identity, uniforms inspire students to express themselves through their personality and achievements rather than by what they wear.

Here you are Ben:
The funny thing is I do use the prison uniform model on the weekends. Only change is the jacket. And if I have to deviate from it...there's Hell to pay.

Superfluous

Happiness is overrated. To be honest, I'm much more concerned with the thirst for knowledge and pursuit of excellence. Because in knowledge and excellence, that's where the really good stuff lies.

giphy.gif

The benefits of school uniforms: https://www.summitacademyschools.org/apps/pages/school-uniform-benefits

Below are seven reasons why we feel school uniforms benefit our students, their families, and our teachers in creating a positive learning environment:
  1. Reduces distractions
Uniforms help remove distractions in the classroom by creating common ground for everyone; students can focus on their academics rather than on what they and others are wearing.
  1. Improves community and school spirit
Students wearing clothing in school colors with the school mascot creates a unified community, reduces competition among students, and improves school spirit.
  1. Helps prevent bullying
Many students feel pressure to wear stylish clothes to school. And, parents often feel the economic pressure to provide their children with clothing that reflects the most current fashion trends. Therefore, students who do not wear the latest and greatest, may feel left out, criticized, or even bullied by their peers. School uniforms reduce economic and social barriers between students that often leads to bullying.
  1. Prevents on-campus violence
Clothing that displays any form of vulgarity or gang reference encourages hostility, which sidetracks students from their education and positively participating in school activities. School uniforms eliminate inappropriate clothing from entering the learning environment and provides administrators a way to identify unwelcomed visitors on campus.
  1. Streamlines morning routines
Mornings are hectic enough without having to decide what to wear. Schools with a school uniform policy, have students who can get ready for school quickly and have time to eat breakfast and organize for a successful day.
  1. Lowers clothing costs
Buying the latest clothing trends to prepare their children for school, parents spend an average of $231 per child, per year (National Retail Federation). However, the average cost of school uniforms per child, per year, was $150 or less (National Association of Elementary School Principals).
  1. Encourages other ways to express oneself
Because self-expression is important to us, and we want to encourage ways students can appropriately demonstrate their identity, uniforms inspire students to express themselves through their personality and achievements rather than by what they wear.
As a catholic school educator and with my child in one...this is all 100% true in my experience.

miglan30

Familiar Face
I find for myself that having too many choices does me no good. That is why I only really need one nice leather jacket. I find if I really like something, I will end up wearing it most often instead of diversifying what I wear. That is why I just like a conservative CR as my one nice leather jacket as it pretty much goes with anything or any context. There are times when I want more, but I know it would ultimately be a waste of money. I still have some jackets in my closet that have not seen the light of day in years. If I make a new purchase, usually something else has to go. I try and apply this to much of my life....I hate clutter and at some point too many possessions causes me grief. My apartment looks like a hotel room. I will say spending time here makes it hard to uphold that standard though lol.

Last edited:

Bigbenbs

A-List Customer
No mocking whatsoever.

^ This

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification. Still, this particular moment is an instance of knowing "relieving" suffering ;)

Perhaps, then, I'll allow myself a bit of a pontifical rant:

I think that happiness is an overrated concept, at least in the way that it is currently used, because it suggests a kind of pleasant stasis. You know, just sort of sitting there on the beach with a pina colada. But I just don't think that humans are made that way. At least I'm not, and from what I've seen of a lot of other humans, they aren't too. They have to give themselves to something, and they have to do so sacrificially. So the question then becomes whether or not the things they give themselves to are worthy. We tend to implicitly give ourselves to the pursuit of distraction, pleasure, and/or power (which is the same thing as wealth) when we say that we just want to be happy. But when one thinks instead about how to orient one's life around the pursuit of higher goods. Doing that entails striving for excellence in all things, and you can only pursue excellence when you have real knowledge. But all of that often comes with a lot of suffering.

So the real question, then, is whether or not it is worth suffering to realize excellence in and deep knowledge of leather outerwear. And I would say that it totally is insofar as it does not get in the way of pursuing other necessary goods(family, work, culture, service, yadda, yadda, yadda). I think many people in this forum are the kinds of people that have to suffer for something higher; they just aren't happy with being happy. And for me, that's a very good thing.

A last point: isn't clothing the main form of artistic expression that all humans engage in on a daily basis? And no one worries too much when sculptors or painters really go after their craft. So why should we worry too much about going after this one?

dannyk

One Too Many
I work in government/politics I don’t get to wear my jackets nearly enough. But thankfully right now I’m working for a great boss so I do have a uniform which is a relief. To explain I have a ton of shirts, ties, coats, nice sweaters etc...a lot of which requires special washing, dry cleaning, or ironing. I do like to look “nice” but it can be a damn chore and cost me a fortune. My current boss bought me two dress tees with collars and stitching that has my name, our County Seal and who I work for. Two collared dress shirts the same, and a zip up sweater with the same. I worry so much less and spend so much less. I do reserve the nice clothes for certain dinners, events, and fundraisers. But I can’t tell you how much easier it is to have a “uniform.” On the weekends comes the 12oz denim jeans, the leather jackets, the fedoras and newsboy hats and so on. I’m all for individuality and expression. I love dressing up, but trading it in for said uniform is totally worth it.

Superfluous

Ahh. Thanks for the clarification. Still, this particular moment is an instance of knowing "relieving" suffering ;)

I think that happiness is an overrated concept, at least in the way that it is currently used, because it suggests a kind of pleasant stasis. You know, just sort of sitting there on the beach with a pina colada. But I just don't think that humans are made that way. At least I'm not, and from what I've seen of a lot of other humans, they aren't too. They have to give themselves to something, and they have to do so sacrificially. So the question then becomes whether or not the things they give themselves to are worthy. We tend to implicitly give ourselves to the pursuit of distraction, pleasure, and/or power (which is the same thing as wealth) when we say that we just want to be happy. But when one thinks instead about how to orient one's life around the pursuit of higher goods. Doing that entails striving for excellence in all things, and you can only pursue excellence when you have real knowledge. But all of that often comes with a lot of suffering.

So the real question, then, is whether or not it is worth suffering to realize excellence in and deep knowledge of leather outerwear. And I would say that it totally is insofar as it does not get in the way of pursuing other necessary goods(family, work, culture, service, yadda, yadda, yadda). I think many people in this forum are the kinds of people that have to suffer for something higher; they just aren't happy with being happy. And for me, that's a very good thing.

A last point: isn't clothing the main form of artistic expression that all humans engage in on a daily basis? And no one worries too much when sculptors or painters really go after their craft. So why should we worry too much about going after this one?

giphy.gif

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ve worn a uniform at work for over 20 years. Love it that way. Recently’ve tried to narrow leisure time clothes down to very few options. We’ll see how long it lasts. My wife may have something to say on the matter after a bit.
So true. It is tedious and nobody else notices or cares. On the other hand, we don't do it so that somebody else will notice, or because somebody else cares. Rather, we do it because we notice and we care. The infinitesimal details and obscure distinctions that dominate our discussions are imperceptible to the average person (and appropriately so). However, if we are aware of, notice and care about these esoteric details, and we derive some form of pleasure from integrating this knowledge into our clothing selections, thats all that matters, even if our sublime ensembles are never noticed by anyone else. That said, I agree that life would be a whole lot simpler if I had a fixed uniform that I wore everyday without consideration of options. I think thats called prison. :p
un

Well said. I hear you. I've nothing to contribute but... Well put.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters