Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dare to Dream: Your "Ultimate" Leather Jacket

Logician

One of the Regulars
There is no such thing as the "ultimate" or "perfect" leather jacket. Personally, I gave up the fantasy of finding the perfect leather jacket. Searching for the perfect leather jacket is not unlike finding your soulmate. It is an illusive and dubious enterprise at best. We’ll never find the perfect soulmate because none of us are perfect. We’re just imperfect people coming together and trying our best. Somehow it helps to relieve the pressure of finding "the one". Now, it seems to me that the upmarket is moving more and more towards customized and personalized leather jacket making. The more options the better for the customer. All in all, call me old fashioned if you like but I prefer features that have stood the test of time.

There is no such thing as the "ultimate" or "perfect" leather jacket. Personally, I gave up the fantasy of finding the perfect leather jacket. Searching for the perfect leather jacket is not unlike finding your soulmate. It is an illusive and dubious enterprise at best. We’ll never find the perfect soulmate because none of us are perfect. We’re just imperfect people coming together and trying our best. Somehow it helps to relieve the pressure of finding "the one". Now, it seems to me that the upmarket is moving more and more towards customized and personalized leather jacket making. The more options the better for the customer. All in all, call me old fashioned if you like but I prefer features that have stood the test of time.
So, if I understand correctly, there's no eastern block mail order bride incoming?

Logician

One of the Regulars
So, if I understand correctly, there's no eastern block mail order bride incoming?
Hell no, my wife would kill me if there was!

My point is simply that we would perhaps be happier if we would avoid setting unrealistic expectations for ourselves and others---and for all the things-objects we seek to possess. It'd keep us from lots of unnecessary disappointments and heartaches. I realize that prima facie the soulmate analogy might appear somewhat silly, but how often do we sabotage our own happiness by setting unrealistic expectations? It happens all the time, and most of us live in a world where it is encouraged. As it goes with life, soulmate or whatever, so it goes with leather jackets. One will never find the ultimate or perfect leather jacket, whatever that means. Surely, having such expectations is to set oneself to failure. No doubt, there is a wide selection of leather jackets out there that suits a variety of purposes, tastes, and budgets. But IMHO none is the "ultimate" jacket. None is "perfect".

Last edited:

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
This is my ultimate leather jacket.
d2a07e2711b0df4ebea9df76f7b5c104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My quest for the dream jacket began around the time when this book
by Jeff Clyman & Gilles Lhote was first available in bookstores.
Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 10.15.28 PM.png

I was looking for the jacket that Cary Grant wore in the movie,
"Only Angels Have Wings."
This was before reproductions/originals were available online for
ordering or shopping in the Internet classifieds.
For me...apple was something that you found in the produce section
of local grocery stores or markets.

Earlier this year I found a jacket that is very close to what I like with
the exception of the front pockets.
I'm lucky that nearby is a custom shop that works with leather at very
affordable prices. He will create the pockets.
Soon I will have the jacket of my dreams.

Btw:
A Greek woman may be next but on a lesser grand scale instead
of a Helen of Troy.
Irene_Papas_"The_Trojan_Women".jpg

Please take care of what you post.
She has a quick temper and is very protective of me.;)
Papas2.jpg

86738-c9999e6b075622c401ad4ccba070d246.jpg.gif

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My point is simply that we would perhaps be happier if we would avoid setting unrealistic expectations for ourselves and others---and for all the things-objects we seek to possess. It'd keep us from lots of unnecessary disappointments and heartaches. I realize that prima facie the soulmate analogy might appear somewhat silly, but how often do we sabotage our own happiness by setting unrealistic expectations? It happens all the time, and most of us live in a world where it is encouraged. As it goes with life, soulmate or whatever, so it goes with leather jackets. One will never find the ultimate or perfect leather jacket, whatever that means. Surely, having such expectations is to set oneself to failure. No doubt, there is a wide selection of leather jackets out there that suits a variety of purposes, tastes, and budgets. But IMHO none is the "ultimate" jacket. None is "perfect".

Speaking for myself I am not sure that getting the 'ultimate jacket' has ever been the central quest. That quest seems a bit theoretical or exaggerated. I think what you're looking for is the jacket that will become your favourite - or the one you might get the most wear out of. The one you pop on most when you walk out the door.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My quest for the "ultimate" jacket has been based on
a certain style, color, material and comfort.
It's been a long time partly because I was not knowledgeable
with regards to leather jackets, the availablity at the time,
was not a priority, but nevertheless it was always on my
mind.
It took a "plethora" of leather jackets over the years before
I knew I had found it.
That I get the most wear out of it is a bonus.
This is the one which I find very comfortable wearing at home or
going out.
This jacket allows me to not be "aware" that I am wearing
a leather jacket....it is that good.
This for me is my "ultimate" jacket.
And this is my 2¢ on the subject.

Last edited:

Colin G

One Too Many
For right now, this would be my ultimate. It is perfect for late October to December weather up here and I have been staring at it for the last week. I would change the cuff and pocket snaps for a different style or to buttons.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
F****g hell Jonesy. Don't be surprised if you find a group of settlers with gold pans on your property.

Thanks Nick. Yes I have been obsessing. Did you see the A-2 in size 42 on JCs sale page. I don’t “need” that jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never thought in terms of a single "ultimate" jacket. To the contrary, my focus on variety is antithetical to a single ultimate jacket. My "ultimate" is an assortment of complimentary jackets that enable me to don different looks.

Yeah, but picking up what to wear each day, getting dressed, worrying about combinations, colors, etc... It's all sooo tedious. And useless. Nobody notices, nobody cares. I really hope to one day embrace Einstein's theory on clothes in practice and not just in theory. Having 10 leather jackets isn't helping, though. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo